• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An independent Scotland?

Just a thought, what happens to the flag if Scotland does become independent? Will the Union Flag (Jack) have to be changed?

Edit: Because, well, I'd be opposed to Scotland becoming independent because well, I like the flag the way it is...

Can you imagine how expensive it would be to change the Union Jack think of everything it is on, right now I'm thinking military uniforms, flag posts etc but it will be on SO much. I have to admit I would be very sad to see the Union Jack go, people in Wales have been moaning for a while about inclusion, has anyone ever tried to draw the welsh flag, nightmare!!

What do you mean?! Surely its really easy to draw a dragon?! :haha:

I dont think they should, i think it would be a shame for them to go. I wouldn't want Wales to leave either.

I do tend to think if they want to go, then we cut them off, no pound etc, - you want independence, you got it! Sink or swim! but I can be a bit petty.

Knowing Cameron if they do leave he'll still give them everything anyway.

I'm pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd be voting for independence too.

but it sort of is with regard to the EU and I am 100% against leaving the EU...as in one hand they give us loads on benefits from free travel for UK citizens across Europe, to 50% of our exports go to the EU, being part of one of the largest economies, sharing resources ect ect but yes getting all these benefits means we have to take some less desirable things but we cant have it all.

but as I said everyone is free to their vote - just for me it doesnt make sense, and over all I feel it would make the UK a much weaker place as Scotland does provide to it same as Wales, Ireland and even Cornwall.

Most of my family are Scottish but have moved away so read in to it some and tbh i think it as crazy as the UK wanted to leave the EU.

Points I dont understand-
- Look at Ireland, I worked (recently got made redundant) for an Irish bank and they are truly screwed as country if it wasnt for the ECB they wouldnt never have survived. And so many other small countries Iceland, Cyprus & Greece are all truly in the shitter.
- The Oil - How much of it can there be left and surly half the revenue is the UK's/other EU countries.
- Some of the biggest employers Llloyds Tsb and RBS ( who as far as I am aware are now British owned due to the bail out) will have to re locate to England due to laws that the headquaters have to be in the country that they are registered with. Also the ship building in Aberdeen employees 0000's of people but that is the UK navy - so again that would most likely be moved back to southampton.
The Army - yes the Scottish have it's own section but are they able to fund it and is it enough?
Trident - What will happen to that??
- Currency - If they get the pound then they still be governed by the UK and if they dont then is there a guarantee they will get the Euro which again mean controls and sanctions by another group of countries.
- EU is there a guarantee they will be accepted and if not - then what?
- The Monarch/Common Wealth - will they become part of that?
- The few I have spoken to who are considering Yes mention that they want freedom from Westminster - but over what policies - Scotland already controls it's NHS, School, Legal System and the general day to day running of things.
- The UK is said to have the fastest recovering economy in the EU, yes things are still shit but they much better then alot of other countries - Will Scotland be able to carry this on when it will be drowning in debt.

I dont know - whilst I fully support peoples right to independence and democratic vote I really struggle to see what the pro's are but me sitting here in London I also dont get a realistic view of what it is like for those struggling in England a London it's own bubble.
-
However there are many other small countries who are thriving under the difficult economic conditions, e.g the Scandinavian countries. Who is to say which way it would have went?

Scotland would own the vast majority of the oil. Independence is not dependent on oil btw (regarless of what project fear is spouting). We are rich in other resources, and without oil taken into account our gdp would be 99% of the rest of the UK. With oil, our gdp surpasses it. Oil is of course a fantastic asset, but in the event of independence we are not completely reliant on it.

Trident would be scrapped. The vast majority of people in Scotland do not want trident- and there would be billions of pounds of saving from that alone. Alongside this, If we don't vote for independence the Scottish people would have to (with the rest of the U.K) pay billions of pounds for the proposed upgrade of trident. No-one in Scotland wants it!

There would be a currency union with the rest of the U.K. It is in everyones best interests. Even the leader of the Scottish Conservitives Ruth Davidson agrees that this would be the case. The Euro is not on the table. Incidently no one has to "let" the people of Scotland use any currency. The pound is as much a scottish asset as anyone else's, no one can stop Scotland from using the pound. However, a currency union (at least for a while until we set up our own currency), is what the SNP are proposing, and is what's best for everyone involved.

Scotlands future in the E.U is probably better protected with independence. If the Tory's get in for another term (which is looking more and more likely), there will be an in-out referendum. Given what's just happened in the European election, It would be safe to bet that the rest of the u.k will vote us out! Even if EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Scotland voted to stay in, it would make absolutely no difference to the outcome if the rest of the U.K wanted out. The majority of Scots want to stay in the E.U.

Yes we have devolved powers, however we are still subject to ultimate control from Westminster from a Tory government who harly anyone in Scotland voted for. How is that democratic?

Scotlands recovery is actually surpassing that of the rest of the UK, so I think we would be alright. Even with the referendum looming, business is still happy to invest (regardless of the doom and gloom predicted).

Scotland is far more left wing that the rest of the U.K. I don't know if it was reported down south, however there was a daily record poll the other day that put independence ahead by 3 points if Scots thought they would be subjected to another 5 years of the Torys. The polls are narrowing significantly regardless.

Anyone catch the debate? 6 weeks to go! Thought Salmond could have done better, but there has actually been an increase in undecideds swaying towards yes (although the poll is only 500 odd people so too small to be significant). Next debate is in 3 weeks time.

Well it's not my business but I now hope there is a yes vote, my DH is having to work up in Scotland so bloody much ATM it's peeing me off (I know a lot of it is because they're probably doing a lot of ceremonial stuff in Scotland deliberately to try and stir "British emotions" for a No vote) so I'm hoping if it's a Yes he won't have to work up there any more and we wouldn't ever get posted there! (Not that I wouldn't like to live in Scotland it looks beautiful especially Lossie where we could be, but it's soooo far from my family and not good for my career).

That's probably not a good reason for there to be a Yes vote though lol, Im still not convinced it's the best for anyone really but not my business! Very interested to watch the result though, I missed the debate.

I actually cant stand the bullying mentality on social media right now. "if you vote xxxx you're this that and the other thing" :grr:

I know, AP. I can respect people opinions but I've blocked a few people due to their posts!
I am a No vote, better together and all that and I have friends who are voting yes and occasionally post things. That's fine, I respect their opinion and their right to vote how they like. It's the constant barrage of negativity towards No that one friend was posting that I just blocked her!

Yup i've noticed that on both sides. I guess it is good people are so passionate about it; however there is absolutely no need to be disrespectful of the other viewpoint. It's such a huge decision and it is understandable that emotions are running high, but at the end of the day, whether yes or no, we all have to live together afterwards!

Someone mentioned all of uk should have a say. Opinions?

You have single handedly given me the best reason to vote Yes.

If the Scots felt fairly treated by the rest of the UK we would not be having the vote in the first place. So many policy's are designed to help the SE that what is happening in Scotland is irrelevant.

If the rest of the UK had a say we'd be wasting our time going to vote. If the South East voted No and every single person in Scotland voted Yes we could still be out voted.

Absolutely not. As per Tommyg, we are so small in population in comparisn to the rest of the UK our vote wouldn't (and doesn't) count for anything. Imagine the chaos if the vast majority of people in Scotland voted to leave but were prevented because of the votes elsewhere in the UK? Not a scenario I think anyone would like to see!

I didnt know what to say to the question as I honestly dont care either way lol but it would be interesting to see what happens if they leave! :)

Id personally vote for them to be independent if i had chance but I really dont feel strongly either way.

No I don't think the rest of the UK should vote as that undermines the whole thing no politician would suggest that, but tbh I think turn out would be incredibly low I don't think it would be an inevitable resounding "no" I know plenty of people down here who would vote yes but I think the biggest opinion I've spoken to "if it doesn't affect me, I don't care either way, let them do what they want".

Considering it is actually quite a big deal Im surprised how little is being said of it in the media and just word of mouth really considering it is next month, I'm in London and I just don't think people are bothered.

I don't understand why people are saying the whole of the UK should have a vote. We shouldn't. Have an opinion on it, sure, that's one thing but I don't think I should have a say in it because I don't live there.

^ oh ive only seen it on a FB debate page. Not anyone actually say it. Like Marine said, I dont know anyone local that cares either way

I think it's maybe because Labour and the Torys are working together in the NO campaign.. maybe they don't want to be seen working too closely with each other by most of the electorate?

I wonder how much you girls from down south have heard about all the parties saying there won't be a currency union? Has that been reported on at all?

Yeah it's the money issue that has been mostly reported about, I don't know anything about it, just that George Osborne says they can't have it (but can't any country choose any currency...?) but Salmond is saying they can and wants it, I know absolutely nothing else about it, if you are happy to simplify it for me I would love to know what the big deal is either way! I just haven't followed the news much on the issue.

Independent or not an awful lot of business goes across the border. Many businesses operate in the two countries. Seperate currencies would be a nightmare. My main reason for doubts about independence.

The euro has been on the brink of collapse because of monetary union without fiscal union.

Given current European policy to join Europe countries have to accept the euro. It's a dodgy currency why would we want it?

Would Europe let us in with out taking the euro?
Would an independent currency be better?
Would England agree to monetary union - but really would that be any different to what we have now?

Lots of questions no straight answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"