An independent Scotland?

Just a thought, what happens to the flag if Scotland does become independent? Will the Union Flag (Jack) have to be changed?

Edit: Because, well, I'd be opposed to Scotland becoming independent because well, I like the flag the way it is...

:rofl: best reason to keep in the UK

Just a thought, what happens to the flag if Scotland does become independent? Will the Union Flag (Jack) have to be changed?

Edit: Because, well, I'd be opposed to Scotland becoming independent because well, I like the flag the way it is...

Can you imagine how expensive it would be to change the Union Jack think of everything it is on, right now I'm thinking military uniforms, flag posts etc but it will be on SO much. I have to admit I would be very sad to see the Union Jack go, people in Wales have been moaning for a while about inclusion, has anyone ever tried to draw the welsh flag, nightmare!!

So expensive! Maybe the UK would charge Scotland the expenses as it would be their fault anyway....

I've joined the discussion a bit late lol but anyway..... I'm English but from everything I've seen and read I think the Scottish would be better off if they didn't become independent for so many different reasons. This thread has brought up some very interesting points of view which I hadn't thought of before. There are pros and cons for both sides so must be a tough vote.

Saw this on another forum - our new flag :haha:

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71534000/jpg/_71534082_350632.jpg

I live in Scotland and I will be voting no for all the reasons stated. Plus I think Salmond is a big haggis heid.

People are being more and more swayed towards yes according to the latest opinion polls!
I wonder if anyone saw the gen-x debate on the BBC (16-18 yr olds)? I was very proud of our young people! Very intelligent and informed (probably more so than many older people!) I'm glad they have the chance to vote, they are the future after all! They aren't nessecarily yes voters either incase anyone thinks I am being biased haha.
Cariad_x I understand you don't like Alex Salmond, but remember he is actually a very small part of the whole picture! A vote for independence isn't a vote for Alex Salmond... that's like saying a no vote is a vote for David Cameron (which of course it's not). I'm not saying you think this by the way, just clarifying for anyone else reading!
And for the record I think David Cameron is a big caviar heid!

I'm scottish and voting No.
I like things as they are, and TBH i don't really like Alex Salmond much. I think that although Scots provide a lot of cash to Westminster etc (as do everyone else), but we get things in return.
I am a proud scot, but i am also British. I like that :)

Exactly this^^^^^^

The fact that I can't stand Alex Salmond, pretty much puts the last nail in the coffin!

I think the vote is 14th September!!

I'm scottish and voting No.
I like things as they are, and TBH i don't really like Alex Salmond much. I think that although Scots provide a lot of cash to Westminster etc (as do everyone else), but we get things in return.
I am a proud scot, but i am also British. I like that :)

Exactly this^^^^^^

The fact that I can't stand Alex Salmond, pretty much puts the last nail in the coffin!

I think the vote is 14th September!!

It's the 18th September... unless you're a no voter, then it's the 20th :haha:

I think all countries should be allowed independence - in an ideal world obviously. Can you imagine thinking you are in charge of your own household only your next door neighbour is the one who actually gets to dictate what happens in your home?!

Wonder if UKIP winning EU elections will swing it for a yes vote. Looks like UKIP have gained a seat in Scotland, but coming 4th with just 10% of the vote. Absolutely disgusted they have managed to break through, however, being given 4x as much coverage on the bbc than the SNP, it's hardly surprising. Imagine that coverage had been givin to say, the Greens for instance (who got 8% regardless), i bet we would see a different result. Very frustrating.

Now Obama is sticking his oar in (after a request from David Cameron it has been reported)... Bit ironic coming from the President of a country who went to war for their independence not so long ago!
Lots of underhand tactics going on.. I hope people can see through the smoke screen.

Most of my family are Scottish but have moved away so read in to it some and tbh i think it as crazy as the UK wanted to leave the EU.

Points I dont understand-
- Look at Ireland, I worked (recently got made redundant) for an Irish bank and they are truly screwed as country if it wasnt for the ECB they wouldnt never have survived. And so many other small countries Iceland, Cyprus & Greece are all truly in the shitter.
- The Oil - How much of it can there be left and surly half the revenue is the UK's/other EU countries.
- Some of the biggest employers Llloyds Tsb and RBS ( who as far as I am aware are now British owned due to the bail out) will have to re locate to England due to laws that the headquaters have to be in the country that they are registered with. Also the ship building in Aberdeen employees 0000's of people but that is the UK navy - so again that would most likely be moved back to southampton.
The Army - yes the Scottish have it's own section but are they able to fund it and is it enough?
Trident - What will happen to that??
- Currency - If they get the pound then they still be governed by the UK and if they dont then is there a guarantee they will get the Euro which again mean controls and sanctions by another group of countries.
- EU is there a guarantee they will be accepted and if not - then what?
- The Monarch/Common Wealth - will they become part of that?
- The few I have spoken to who are considering Yes mention that they want freedom from Westminster - but over what policies - Scotland already controls it's NHS, School, Legal System and the general day to day running of things.
- The UK is said to have the fastest recovering economy in the EU, yes things are still shit but they much better then alot of other countries - Will Scotland be able to carry this on when it will be drowning in debt.

I dont know - whilst I fully support peoples right to independence and democratic vote I really struggle to see what the pro's are but me sitting here in London I also dont get a realistic view of what it is like for those struggling in England a London it's own bubble.
-

According to international law Scotland would get about 90% of the oilfields. This would create a maximum of 24 billion barrels of oil about 40 years worth.

Despite the uk governments insistence that they bailed out the RBS etc, they didn't. It was the US and Quatar. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/go...tish-independence-bank-bailout_b_4895234.html. They can relocate if they want we'll still have Tescos bank ;).

There is no shipbuilding in Aberdeen.

Technically the armed forces commander in chief is the queen so unless we're getting rid of her too I don't know, but in all likely hood we would have our own defence force.

Our currency is anyones guess.

No one in Scotland wants Trident so it would go.

The pros to us being independent vary depending on who you talk to, but to me we are a separate country, we have a moral right to govern ourselves without having to constantly look south for the okay to do anything which affects us. No one knows if we'll be drowning in debt but it's highly unlikely. We have more going for us than oil and gas such as Agriculture, Banking & Finance, Computing, Construction, Electronics, Fishing, Food & Drink, Forestry, Life Sciences, Renewable Energy, Shipbuilding, Textile, Tourism, Transport.

I'm pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd be voting for independence too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->