• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An independent Scotland?

I find the better together ad completely offensive too! For all the reasons mentioned above! The message behind it is that politics is a 'man's business', not for her indoors to be concerning herself about when she's got the kids and the dishes to deal with!

I'm Scottish and will definitely be voting yes! Every country has the right to rule itself. If the situation was reversed and we were already independent, how many Scottish people would vote to hand over their powers to Westminster?

Alba gu brath! :)

Fair point I doubt that many would want to give powers away.

It really does make you think of a divorce where the weaker party is pulling together all of their guts to go it alone while the stronger party instead of giving good loving reasons to stay is trying to sap confidence and say things like your hopeless you'll never last 5 mins on your own.

My vote is already back in the post.

Fair point I doubt that many would want to give powers away.

It really does make you think of a divorce where the weaker party is pulling together all of their guts to go it alone while the stronger party instead of giving good loving reasons to stay is trying to sap confidence and say things like your hopeless you'll never last 5 mins on your own.

My vote is already back in the post.

Haha, great analogy! Are you watching the debate?

I'm a yes vote. I want my vote to count for something, I want my sons vote when he is old enough to count for something. I don't want privatisation in the Scottish NHS (which I know Westminster can't enforce, but they can push us into :nope:).

TBH I honestly don't feel like the no campaign actually wants us to vote no, they really are bullying the population. I for one a getting fed up of hearing how useless we will be without Westminster. If we are so useless then why would you want to keep us? :shrug:

I'm proud to be Scottish, and I would also be proud to be a good neighbour of England, and Wales and N.Ireland. The rUK get their say with their vote.....why can't we live in a country where we get ours?

I honestly dont care to much either way. Let them have it I suppose. :D

I think it's opinions like this that makes me sad. And gives the extra push towards yes vote, Makes feel as though Scotland doesn't matter, and I'm not getting at the poster I just using it as an example. Surely if we were better together then the rUK would actually feel sad about losing a part of their nation? I think that r UK might not realise that their lives might be affected by Scottish independence? It might not also, but who knows?

I think it's opinions like this that makes me sad. And gives the extra push towards yes vote, Makes feel as though Scotland doesn't matter, and I'm not getting at the poster I just using it as an example. Surely if we were better together then the rUK would actually feel sad about losing a part of their nation? I think that r UK might not realise that their lives might be affected by Scottish independence? It might not also, but who knows?

Well if we're not being given much of a say in the whole matter should we be caring....? We've been treated like it's none of our business by many so I think you'll find the "not caring" attitude is a result of that. "Don't want us?" "Fine then!" Kind of thing lol.

Wow it really does sound like the beginning of a bitter divorce doesn't it lol?

Is there a debate on TV somewhere?

Tbh I don't think those south of the border can really win with what ever they say.
England we don't want you, Scotland we don't care about you either - tit for tat
Or
Scotland please don't go we love you ( we're scared of what will happen to us if you go)

Yes it all does just sound like a bitter divorce - how much do I put in the joint bank account - how much do I get out of it - how much will it cost me to run my house alone?
Who's getting the living room suite, oh and what about the dog ?

Well if we're not being given much of a say in the whole matter should we be caring....? We've been treated like it's none of our business by many so I think you'll find the "not caring" attitude is a result of that. "Don't want us?" "Fine then!" Kind of thing lol.

Wow it really does sound like the beginning of a bitter divorce doesn't it lol?

Lol I get what you mean, but I think the non politician Scots would really have had an interest in what the non politician non celebrity rUK have to say. It is our vote, but you would be hard pressed to find a Scottish person without connections to rUK, so of course we would like to hear your true opinions. If anything wouldn't it be better for an amicable divorce rather than a bitter one?

Edit; of course this thread is showing true opinions, it just hurts to see so many 'I don't cares' lol

I can kind of see why rUK don't care what we do although independence will definitely affect us all. Equally, I don't feel like I should have any say on English policies that don't concern Scotland as I don't really care about them either :rofl:

This doesn't mean I don't care about rUK in general, I like them, I just don't want to be in bed with them...I'll stick with living next door thanks ;)

I used to have the I don't care opinion, retaliation lol, but the more I read the more I worry about the negative impact on the UK, if it wasn't to affect me at all I would just think let them have it if that's what they want, but I genuinely worry about the ramifications, not to mention the cost and time to the government to sort it all out. To be completely honest....if there is a yes vote I will be amazed if Westminster just bends over and takes it, I think they thought it would be a no vote but it doesn't like that anymore to me! I very much doubt everything would be sorted by "independence day"

My feelings are entirely selfish though, it's how it'll affect me and my family, in terms of Scotland you guys can only vote for what you want, but I do hope it's a no from my own perspective, I will wait and see.

You summed up my feelings better than me MW.

I dont think Yes will be the majority vote

I don't think the Westminster government will have any choice but to accept it if Scotland votes yes. It is enshrined in law. There is absolutely no way there would be a yes vote and then Westminster would turn round and say 'well tough, you aren't getting it!' X

You summed up my feelings better than me MW.

I dont think Yes will be the majority vote

Latest polls put it at 47% yes and 53% no which shows that the yes campaign has gained huge momentum in the last month so it will be close whatever happens x

I don't think the Westminster government will have any choice but to accept it if Scotland votes yes. It is enshrined in law. There is absolutely no way there would be a yes vote and then Westminster would turn round and say 'well tough, you aren't getting it!' X

I'm just saying I think it is niave to think that a yes will lead to a clear cut removal by independence day, there is a lot that will need to be hammered out, it is so much more than just getting rid of trident and hashing out the debt (and they are monumental enough as it is) you've got the nation's archives, artworks, museums, laws, politics, economics, it'll be monumental and I think it could get difficult, especially the military aspect. Life is a lot more complicated than when Ireland left, I think it hasn't been discussed much because Westminster genuinely didn't believe it would happen and so not to be seen to give it too much credit, but if it does happen I think some people will be shitting their pants and I don't think it'll be as clear cut as the yes campaign are playing it....because Westminster haven't prepared for it! I think I heard independent day is scheduled for spring next year? I very much doubt there will be a whole lot of decisions completed by then.

I'm just saying I think it is niave to think that a yes will lead to a clear cut removal by independence day, there is a lot that will need to be hammered out, it is so much more than just getting rid of trident and hashing out the debt (and they are monumental enough as it is) you've got the nation's archives, artworks, museums, laws, politics, economics, it'll be monumental and I think it could get difficult, especially the military aspect. Life is a lot more complicated than when Ireland left, I think it hasn't been discussed much because Westminster genuinely didn't believe it would happen and so not to be seen to give it too much credit, but if it does happen I think some people will be shitting their pants and I don't think it'll be as clear cut as the yes campaign are playing it....because Westminster haven't prepared for it! I think I heard independent day is scheduled for spring next year? I very much doubt there will be a whole lot of decisions completed by then.

Wow, seems sooo confusing!

It's scheduled for the 24th March 2016 :flower: I do agree that it will be a long and difficult process but I believe it will be worth it to gain the right to govern our own country :) x

I think the SNP have said 6 years for the removal of trident. It will take years of negotiations to divide all the assets etc, yes, but the actual transfer of power will take place in March 2016. Getting very close now.

Now that it is really the talking point from what i have heard from others is they are voting yes. I can count on one hand the amount of people i have spoken to that are voting know so i think these polls will be taking a huge turn.

I think independence is looking very likey, i think im voting yes but still not 100%

Now that it is really the talking point from what i have heard from others is they are voting yes. I can count on one hand the amount of people i have spoken to that are voting know so i think these polls will be taking a huge turn.

I think independence is looking very likey, i think im voting yes but still not 100%

The yes campaign has definitely gained a lot of momentum lately! I'm in the same boat, most people I know of are voting yes. Very few have been open about voting no although perhaps there are others who are voting no who haven't said :shrug:

What is swaying you towards a yes vote?x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->