An independent Scotland?

Pretty much every single person I know works in the oil. Every family member 90% of my friends. If the oil goes everyone I know is going to be out of a job.

My poll vote says I was voting no. I am still very much a No vote, however my heart is really struggling with a no vote. I want Scotland to prosper. I want it to be as strong as it can be. Of course I want my home to be the best place it can possibly be. Do I think that away from the UK is going to do that? I just don't know. The closer we get the more confused I'm getting. I SO want Scotland to stand alone but economically I just can't get it to all add up.

I run a small company, our biggest outgoing/tax etc is corporation tax. SNP pledges to lower it by 3percentage points. But at a question thing I attended I was given the opportunity to ask Sturgeon about it and she told me what the SNP pledges but when I questioned her on it, in reference to my company she said they can't guarantee it, that it wouldn't fit in with the rest of their policies. I can't get my head around that.

My husband works for LBG who has already stated they'd probably move south of the border. My mum works in an NHS research lab in Dundee, where all the research will be moving south if independence happens, the SNP have already confirmed this. My brother in law is in the Army, he still has had no answers on how this would work.

To me it's a head versus heart situation. And I'm really struggling with it. Do I go with my heart and say 'Fuck it', it may destroy my family but what if it could be better for Scotland as a whole, or we could go down the pan, but at least we took that chance. Or go with my head and protect my family and fight for more out of our country.

Corporation tax, I'm sure they will lower it, partly to discourage any companies from leaving and partly to encourage companies to invest.
Mr MD If I move my head office and register the company in England I'll pay 20% but if I say put I'll pay 17%.

There is a reason why lots of companies are registered in places like Luxemburg - very low tax. They might only be doing 1% of their transactions in Luxemburg but it gets 100% of the tax.

Why would an NHS company want to leave Dundee, pay more tax, spend a fortune trying to get more staff trained or a fortune relocating their existing staff.

The forces are probably the messiest bit of the divorce. Some bits appear relatively easy like the Scottish regiments would logically come back to Scotland.
And somehow the assets of the army, navy and Air Force will need split after all we all contributed to buying them.
Oh but we don't want trident so we'll have more than our fair share of RAF planes instead.
As for personnel purely my guess would be that individuals would be given the choice. Do you want to stay with the rUK or do you want to be come part of the new Scottish forces?

I'd say go with your heart. Even if we stay with the UK their is nothing to stop companies pulling out of Scotland and if anything the current uncertainty is bound to be putting investors off.
I'd also think the uncertainty isn't going to go away, look at Quebec I think it is a matter of time before it seperates.

But bringing down Corporation tax means we will have to raise money from else where. It's not viable. Typically, countries where companies pay lower tax, citizens pay more and vice versa. And plans put forwards suggest that Scotland would just be the best of both worlds. Sturgeon's point was that lowering CT didn't fit in with any of the other models (tax, welfare etc). Which is correct. But as she stated, it's only pledged, they don't really know how it would work.

As mum's work. It's part of the UK NHS, meaning it's under the devolved section of the NHS. So it would stay within the UK. It's a fact, there's not getting away from it. If independence happens it will be leaving Scotland.

I SO want to vote with my heart and vote unselfishly. I'm sure independence will happen one day. Look at the devolution referendums. But I don't know if just now is the right time when the markets are so unstable

On another note, I know it has been expected, but have you seen our market dropping? I put a load of money into my Irish account a few weeks ago. If the pound keeps dropping I'm going to make a fortune on it:happydance:

Pretty much every single person I know works in the oil. Every family member 90% of my friends. If the oil goes everyone I know is going to be out of a job.

Oil isn't going anywhere. Oil is drilled by private companies. It doesn't matter who runs the country they have no say in who drills it, only on the company that does.

Oil isn't going anywhere. Oil is drilled by private companies. It doesn't matter who runs the country they have no say in who drills it, only on the company that does.

Of course but it seems to be playing a large factor the fact it might only last another 30 years or so. Most people I have spoken to about it says there is actually still alot left

Exactly I heard reports that a certain Mr Cameron was in Shetland a few weeks ago trying to get BP to stay quiet on a new oil field that has been found. However BP have gone public.
Another though is none of the oil companies have been allowed to drill off the west coast, nothing to do with the potential of nuclear subs getting hit.

Oil or no oil I'm sure we are more than capable of standing on our own two feet.

Yes we all want a free NHS, free higher education and roads free of holes. And yes if we want those things we need pay for them and to be able vote for them.

I'm still confused as to how a bit of the Scottish NHS will go south in event of independence. The NHS in Scotland will stay in Scotland. Scotland has a history of some of the best scientist in the world.
I did a google and concluded it might be the Life Research at Dundee uni that may have been referred to. However I'm sure it was the usual Mr Darling ( what a charming name) who has put doubt on investors wanting to invest in Scottish research. Seriously if our scientists are good enough to attract funding this week they'll still be good enough to attract it in a months time.

I was very chuffed to see that YouGov poll! It's unfortunate that the pound has suffered from it, but that's due to Westminster's stance on the currency union rather than any reflection of Scotland's viability as an independent country. I think if there is a YES vote a currency union will be agreed very quickly and the pound will recover just as quickly. It's the uncertainty that the markets don't like. Also the fact that the pound will lose some of it's value when not backed up with revenues from Scotland (not an issue if there is a currency union).

It's good to see people switching to YES, or at least considering it. I think a lot of the issues are difficult to predict, because a lot is dependent on the government we elect after independence- but at least we can be assured that it will be a government that WE elect.

The thing to remember is we DEFINITELY have the resources to be successful. In 4 out of the last 5 years we have run at less of a deficit than rUK. We CAN do it!

I really think yes would be a huge mistake but I am so far south and have no scottish links I dont feel strong either way.

I was very chuffed to see that YouGov poll! It's unfortunate that the pound has suffered from it, but that's due to Westminster's stance on the currency union rather than any reflection of Scotland's viability as an independent country. I think if there is a YES vote a currency union will be agreed very quickly and the pound will recover just as quickly. It's the uncertainty that the markets don't like. Also the fact that the pound will lose some of it's value when not backed up with revenues from Scotland (not an issue if there is a currency union).

It's good to see people switching to YES, or at least considering it. I think a lot of the issues are difficult to predict, because a lot is dependent on the government we elect after independence- but at least we can be assured that it will be a government that WE elect.

The thing to remember is we DEFINITELY have the resources to be successful. In 4 out of the last 5 years we have run at less of a deficit than rUK. We CAN do it!

This ^^^ exactly!!! The pound losing strength is going to affect both Scotland and rUK! I fully believe it was a scaremongering tactic used by Westminster to convince Scotland to vote no. I cannot understand why on earth they would go through with it in the event of independence as it would not benefit anyone involved - including England and rUK! To me, it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face :shrug:

Also, to the teacher who said she didn't know if her job would be safe, I am also a teacher and I can assure you it would be! Scottish education has always been devolved to Scotland - it is not something that is going to be affected either way by the referendum so your job won't change! :flower:

I am on the supply list so my job isn't safe - can't get a job as they are accepting too many people into teaching courses and there are no jobs available!

I applied to my own l.a which I had completed my probation year in, had loads of excellent experience, my application was checked by countless people within the school and externally, and I didn't even get as far as interview for the supply list! There were 54 applicants and only interviewed 12 people. Luckily I managed to get onto the supply list in another local authority, but only teaching my second subject, which I don't really enjoy. Been quite lucky and secured a sick cover to tide me over until November, but I fear more competition for jobs under independence!

I am on the supply list so my job isn't safe - can't get a job as they are accepting too many people into teaching courses and there are no jobs available!

I applied to my own l.a which I had completed my probation year in, had loads of excellent experience, my application was checked by countless people within the school and externally, and I didn't even get as far as interview for the supply list! There were 54 applicants and only interviewed 12 people. Luckily I managed to get onto the supply list in another local authority, but only teaching my second subject, which I don't really enjoy. Been quite lucky and secured a sick cover to tide me over until November, but I fear more competition for jobs under independence!

But none of that has anything to do with independence? As I say, education has always been devolved to Scotland and so nothing in the education sector will change regardless of whether the vote is a yes or a no! Why would there be more competition under independence?

I thought education was already pretty separate in Scotland, it's a nightmare for my English friends who are teachers and get posted to Scotland.

I'm finding the run up to the referendum so exciting, I've got my YES poster proudly displayed on my window :smug:

this is an essential read for everyone voting in the referendum IMO - https://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/

I really think we can do it, I'm thinking it'll be a yes! :happydance: it's amazing seeing how much optimism there is going around just now, and how many people are engaging with politics (me included!)

I don't see how independence will result in more competition for teaching jobs.
The number of schools and classes won't be effected and therefore neither will the teachers.

I have a rug in my lounge I will have to replace!

:rofl: :rofl: hilarious!! And yes marinewag - education is completely separate, always has been! :thumbup:

As is the NHS, yet Sturgeon (I tend to use her as I've seen her speak at least 8 times in the run up) was still using the privatization of the NHS as one of the reasons to vote Yes. Except just now NHS Scotland is controlled entirely by Scottish Parliment. So why is privatization of it a worry if it's controlled entirely by us and we have no plans to change it? Genuine question, it's one I've not been able to find an answer for.

Because our overall budget is controlled by Westminster. If our budget continues to be reduced due to austerity (committed to by both Labour and the Tories), the argument is, that the Scottish government would find it difficult to protect the NHS from privitisation. There won't be enough in the budget. Under independence, we control our own budget completely so would be better placed to protect the NHS.
Eurgh just saw Gordon Brown saying that Joanne Lamont will be the next FM.. I shudder at the thought!! She's terrible!
These "new powers".. We won't even know what they are until November!! Ridiculous.

I have a rug in my lounge I will have to replace!

:rofl: :rofl: hilarious!! And yes marinewag - education is completely separate, always has been! :thumbup:

As is the NHS, yet Sturgeon (I tend to use her as I've seen her speak at least 8 times in the run up) was still using the privatization of the NHS as one of the reasons to vote Yes. Except just now NHS Scotland is controlled entirely by Scottish Parliment. So why is privatization of it a worry if it's controlled entirely by us and we have no plans to change it? Genuine question, it's one I've not been able to find an answer for.

Tbh I'm not sure as health is devolved. It's things like pensions, welfare, foreign affairs and defence that aren't devolved xx

As Debi says I think the worry with the nhs is the cuts Westminster keep making. Apparently they have been told by labour to stop pushing for privatisation until after the next election (Westminster that is) scary thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->