An independent Scotland?

I found this article quite interesting, it's not really saying about a yes or no vote but just a commentary on the situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...braveheart-nationalism-democracy-independence

Great article! It is very true, YES or NO people in Scotland have woken up to politics and I don't think there is any going back after that- thankfully.

The reason people have woken up to politics is because in this referendum every vote will count. If we end up with a No things will go back to few people being interested as a Scots vote will go back to being useless as it doesn't matter what Scots want we will always be governed to suit the SE.

Useless info I found out during this campaign there are more members of the RSPB than there are members of all the political parties put together. I think that shows how out of touch politicians are to the people.

More fool the scots and the rest of us if that is what happens, I think the government have been shocked by what has happened in recent weeks, not long ago it was pretty much a given it would be a no vote, I certainly don't think this is the case now nor does Westminster hence the panic, I very much doubt everything will revert back if it is a no vote, but it is within all our interests to utilise this time, don't take it lying down, the world is watching. It is all our responsibility to take an interest in politics especially if unhappy with the current state, if you're not happy with the outcome it is your country and within your interest to not let the cause go away if you still believe it beneficial. Look what Scotland has managed thus far, even if it's a no vote I think they have achieved a lot and won't be the end of the story.

I feel it's a shame that there are groups on both sides that are too forward with what they feel, trying to force people to vote either way. Only this morning a story was on my Facebook timeline from a friend who had gone on a night out in an English City this weekend and was told to '**** off back to Scotland' and other nasty things along those lines just because we are wanting to make decisions for ourselves.
I just can't help but think that if Scotland made all England's decisions (shoe on other foot scenario) then a lot of people would be disgruntled about it just as we are but again that's my opinion.

Also I felt it was an insult for west minster to say 'vote no for more powers'. Why? When we can vote for all the powers 😐

I feel it's a shame that there are groups on both sides that are too forward with what they feel, trying to force people to vote either way. Only this morning a story was on my Facebook timeline from a friend who had gone on a night out in an English City this weekend and was told to '**** off back to Scotland' and other nasty things along those lines just because we are wanting to make decisions for ourselves.
I just can't help but think that if Scotland made all England's decisions (shoe on other foot scenario) then a lot of people would be disgruntled about it just as we are but again that's my opinion.

Also I felt it was an insult for west minster to say 'vote no for more powers'. Why? When we can vote for all the powers ��

I think you'll find that opinion is very much in the minority, as I say the topic is not a controversial thing that very few English people are irate about, some of us are probably sick of hearing about it as it is everywhere now (I am lol) but I still very much get the feeling most people are just leaving you guys to it and waiting to see what happens, because tbh none of us know what will happen if it's a yes. I wouldn't take one drunken insult to represent all of our opinions. It's not like we as English make your decisions, I think it's important to not get too emotional with the decision, think practically as well and not get swept away with just the nationalistic side of it.

Oh no I wasn't meaning for insults to sway votes at all I was merely saying that things have gotten nasty over the past few weeks and that's from both sides, I just feel that's a shame and that it shouldn't be like that.

Of course we will never know what things would be like if things were the other way round and I'm sure that we don't think the English as a whole make our decisions (I don't) it's Westminster making our decisions that people are tired of.

I have my reasons for being a yes voter. I started out undecided, then a no but after doing a lot of reading, watching debates etc I'm firmly Yes

As that article says it's going much better than Ireland! It's been pretty civilised but you're right any kind of nastiness isn't nice, I do worry about what could happen if it's a yes vote and then the discussions start happening about whose having what I don't know I just can't see that going too well.

It's great you've done so much research, it really does seem to have ignited people's passions in politics, I really don't know how I would vote if I was living up there, I imagine no but I haven't needed to research from a personal perspective.

Just out of interest does anyone know what the rules are for vote eligibility? I'm just wondering if English people posted to Scotland currently get a vote??

I think it's if your on the electoral role as living in Scotland (home address in Scotland) you can vote but I could be wrong!

Oh that's interesting, so posted English/Irish and Welsh military families will vote, I wonder if there's been much advertising to sway their vote. I imagine they're a very small number of the voting population, I wonder if there will be many that will want to?

I have seen nastiness on both sides. I also think it could be more messy than people ever think.

I would take fb stories with a pinch of salt tbh. It could of happened but it may not if. It may of happened exactly as they said or it could of been different.

I really think it will be a yes vote now. The no side concentrated on why Scotland will be crap without us too much and not why we are great together. They got the angle wrong because they thought it would be a formality IMO.

I'm starting to think this could get messy. Was watching the orange walk who are no voters and many yes vote rallys. The city I'm in is absolutely swarming with yes voters today. Just takes one person to get angry/ violent and this won't be as peaceful as it has been.

I cant not understand why anyone would vore YES. At the same time I think bye bye.... I dont think it will be a yes vote, I just think they are a louder voice atm ;)

There's only about 1% difference on the polls that have been coming out though I think it really is neck and neck

See this is what gets peoples backs up, ' I can't understand why anyone would vote yes'? Because everyone has their own reasons and a lot of us YES voters have taken the time to read and watch debates and make an informed decision

There are many reasons I am voting yes and not one of them is because I don't like the English or just patriotic things they are all very real reasons.
I think every child should be able to go to a university not just the ones that have money, god forbid we lose more funding and our university's cost money do I say to my children that only one can go or none, not a choice I want to make.
I got a degree I could never have got if I had to pay £9000 a year or whatever it is.
I'm struggling to find any jobs due to the fact I can't afford childcare, childcare will start younger here which means more people that want to can get back to work.

I am pretty amazed at how biased the BBC are and newspapers etc and after this my eyes have been so opened to how many lies are getting piled onto us.

Just an example I seen a debate where Alex Salmond have a 7 minute answer to a BBC reporter, I watched the footage they showed and they edited out everything he said and made it look like he couldn't answer the question. He gave an in depth 7 minute answer!!!!

It has been shown how Westminster is orchestrating a lot of the scaremongering that is going on using the bbc and newspapers. For example he rbs relocating to England in the event of a yes vote, their head quarters are already in England 😐

Another I'm hearing a lot of last few days is asda and tesco etc apparently putting prices up in event of a yes vote. I highly doubt it as if that it true local business will get more business and places like aldi, farm foods etc so it wouldn't be in their best interests

Tesco came out and said their prices wouldn't change regardless of what the no campaign said in a leaflet.
Who knows what the others are thinking but Aldi said the same.

one question I have is the point of this is that the Scottish people get what they want but surly the referendum shown us is the Scottish people are not decided on what they want. It seems the result on Thursday be it Yes or No will be close so half the population wont be getting what they want.

Just because I am interested I have been on loads of the FB sites and reading arguments for both for and against but the main Yes campaign is you will be able to vote in a government that you want ...but as said you want different things...so say it a Yes that half will vote SNP (albeit not Salmond as he a douche) or Green when No voters will be voting Labour and perhaps Tories.

I believe that in the last election most Scottish people voted Labour which obvio didnt work and we got a Torie Government - do you feel that had the tables been turned and Labour won this all would have happened?

I kinda feel sorry for people voting as there so many lies and fale facts floating about how any of the average joes are to have a clue I dont know.

Westminster should have allowed Devo Max (not that I fully get the full meaning but understand the basic concept) then if after 4 years hopefully the nation would be more united on what was best for them . Similar to what happened in Canada/Quebec (again dont know the full story just basic jist)

Im starting to realise this is going to get messy. I was in blackpool a few weeks ago i got as far as preston train station and had abuse shouted at us saying if we want to leave then why the f are we visiting their country. At that point i wasnt even convinced what i was voting it was horrible especially as he was a 40+ yo and we were a group of 6 18-23 yo! We werent even drunk this was in daylight. This is whats making people want to vote yes. I know its the minority and there is this attitude on both sides but its not a nice place to be in just now.

People on fb are a nightmare on both sides calling people this that and the next thing for you having an opinion that everyone is entitled to. I dont care what others vote as long as they research it as its a huge choice to make

Im looking forward to friday to stop hearing about it all and just know whats happening right now all we are doing is to wait

Wow that is scary. I am on the south coast,literally as south as you can get so nothing much about it here. I know 3 Scottish local people, who cant vote but hope it is no.

Im starting to realise this is going to get messy. I was in blackpool a few weeks ago i got as far as preston train station and had abuse shouted at us saying if we want to leave then why the f are we visiting their country. At that point i wasnt even convinced what i was voting it was horrible especially as he was a 40+ yo and we were a group of 6 18-23 yo! We werent even drunk this was in daylight. This is whats making people want to vote yes. I know its the minority and there is this attitude on both sides but its not a nice place to be in just now.

People on fb are a nightmare on both sides calling people this that and the next thing for you having an opinion that everyone is entitled to. I dont care what others vote as long as they research it as its a huge choice to make

Im looking forward to friday to stop hearing about it all and just know whats happening right now all we are doing is to wait

You're contracting yourself a bit here, you're saying you don't care how people vote so long as they do their research and yet you've just said some yob giving you some verbal abuse is making you want to say yes, an historically profound decision that will change everything for your children and theirs forever, who knows whether for the better of not yet, because of one man? People need to take the emotion out of this debate, both sides of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->