An update on Leo!

pink.crazy

Mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone remembers my initial post, so I'll do this as an intro and update lol!
Leo was born at 28+3 after my waters went at 26 weeks.. I was on holiday in Newquay at the time (I live in Leics) I spent those first critical 48 hours in Truro, then Plymouth hospital and on the 3rd day I was allowed to travel back to LRI with my family. I started bleeding heavily and contracting the day before Leo was born and spent all day on the delivery suite being monitored, luckily it eased off and I didn't need a c-section! I was allowed back on the ward the following day. OH and Tyler visited me, and left at 5pm so I had a shower.. back in my room I tried to put my stunning stockings back on and got a shooting pain.. then another, so I watched some TV. At 6pm I buzzed and asked for pain relief - she went mad at me for not buzzing sooner.. then fetched a MW, I got some paracetamol.. and she was telling me how to breathe.. I was like what you telling me to breathe like that for.. little did I know this was it!! BUT.. the Dr checked me and said my cervix was slightly open (as it was the day before) and I could either walk to ease the pain or rest...!!! By this point I was quite clammy and kind of going into that "zone".. The MW booked me on delivery suite anyway, then turned up with a wheelchair.... "A wheelchair!!!!??" I said "Do you mind if I walk?" The MW told me no, she'd get told off lol! Anyway after getting stuck in a lift, (and m e almost shooting out of the wheelchair with every contraction)we finally made it to delivery suite, room 14! The MW showed me the room then went off to find someone (she later told me she was in a flap as she knew baby was almost there!!) at 7.10pm I was booked in.. at 7.25 I was asked if I wanted them to ring OH.. "No" I replied "it'll be another false alarm!" then I managed to hobble onto th bed to be checked (I had been in a heap on the floor trying to work thru contractions lol) at 7.35 I was given the go ahead to push and at 7.46pm he arrived!! All 2lb 11.5oz of him! He did squeak when he was born, but then had to be resusitated and ventilated.
ANYWAY.. I've rambled.
He was ventilated for 15 hours, then went onto CPAP.. on day 3, they took him off that, but within a few hours he had to go back on it, they then worked on weaning him off slowly. He had phototherapy on and off for a week. His biggest problem were his desats.. but in the end they told me to just ignore the monitors and watch what HE was doing.. when they were happy that I was comfortable with feeding him monitor free we set a date to come home!!
I'll never forget the night that my phone rang at 4am - the hospital. His hernia had become stuck so they had to stop his feeds and immediately transfer him to the ICU and the other hospital.. luckily the Dr managed to ease it back through.. then he had the surgery 2 days before coming home - that was awful :( and after his surgery, the cannula failed and his arm BALLOONED :(
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs187.ash2/45009_424619291430_522966430_5541720_4609287_n.jpg
He was discharged on day 51 weighing 4lb 15oz!!
He's now at 39+4, weighs 7lb exactly and is doing really well!
His ROP exams have been ok, and his last one is on Wednesday! His head ultrasound was clear :) He has a surgical appointment next month, and a normal consultant appointment, the only thing I have to mention is that he has a clicky shoulder :(
He's quite strong and is gaining control of his head now, he's also starting to look around and show interest in faces (well, as much as you can at that age) he's such a wriggler too!
I don't know if any of you saw a little boy Alfie who made it into the papers recently, a 24 weeker who was discharged the same weekend as Leo - he was his room mate :) he's pretty amazing!! He was the first baby on the brand new unit at LRI (before it was officially opened - our babies had to spend a day there lol)
I've rambled again.... :)
Leo birth to 2 months...
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs672.snc4/61195_432853251430_522966430_5736242_4095467_n.jpghttps://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs643.snc4/60301_432853276430_522966430_5736243_7092394_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs642.snc4/60219_432853281430_522966430_5736244_3955797_n.jpg
Leo makes the news...
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs215.ash2/47786_423453841866_583066866_5552069_2795104_n.jpg

what a gorgous little bundle of joy you have :) :) lovely pics!! glad to hear he is doing so well :) :) xxx

WAYYY TO GOOO LEO great story, thanks for sharing, Leo is co cute

I am so glad to hear that Leo is doing so well!!!! :happydance: That is an amazing story and It gives hope to those out there having to deal with premature births... You are an amazing and strong woman and I wish nothing but happiness and joy to you and your family :hugs:

That is truely an amazing story. What a lil fighter! It gives all mums hope and strength! Glad he is doing so well. Love and best wishes to u and your family! :)

Wow! cant believe how similar your story is to mine. My waters broke at 27 weeks whilst on holiday in the lake district! I ended up in lancaster hospital for 3 days and then finally was allowed back to Coventry hospital where i spent another couple of days there. I was allowed home and then was readmitted 2 days later with stomach pains (just thought i needed the toilet!) 3 hours later i gave birth to my daughter Chloe at 28+4 weighing 2lbs 15ozs. She spent 2 months in SCBU and was allowed home at 3 weeks before her due date. She is now nearly 3 months actual and 4 weeks corrected weighing 9lbs and doing really well. Glad to see your little one is doing well too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->