• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Andrew - born at 29 weeks!

Thank you! How's Millie? (Does anyone else see a playdate on the horizon?)

Great news. He is such a cutie :)

Playdates sound like fun!
Not too much change with Millie at the moment. She has been pencilled in to have the PDA ligation on Thursday at Alderhey Hospital. Nurses keep stressing that it may get cancelled as it is subject to there being a bed/transport/no emergency surgery cases, we just have to keep our fingers crossed it will go ahead as planned I guess!

Just popping in to check on Andrew's progress. I love the photos of him in his babygro, he is such a cutie!!

Guess who got promoted from his incubator into a cot?

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Tigsteroonie/Baby/DSC00412.jpg

Andrew now weighs 1.5kg (3lb 4oz), and is maintaining his temperature - well, wouldn't you when wearing a vest, a babygro, a cardigan, a hat, and then being swaddled?

He had another ROP check this morning, still showing slight Stage 1 damage.

And I finally got a hospital-grade double breast pump, so hopefully my output will start increasing now!

Aww Hun he is a wee cutie. I am so happy for you...and your pump LOL!

I am so pleased to read the latest update...what amazing progress, he is adorable.
They do smother them in loads of clothes and then when you get them home the laters start reducing, these babies are amazing at learning to control their temperatures.
1.5kg is great, nearly at the 1.8 kg stage when they start assessing and working towards discharging him...can't believe you are at this point already, to go from a mere 685grams to a whopping 1.5kg is amazing, what a little fighter...

Fingers crossed the ROP damage repairs itself, it amazing how these things change...

Good luck with the pump and milk production...

Oooh, is 1.8kg the threshold? (does quick calculation) Ah, 4lb! Handy to know what target we're aiming for, though I know it'll depend on whether he's weaned from the oxygen by then too.

Funny but when I arrived yesterday, I was asking the trainee nurse (mine was on break) if she knew the threshold for Andrew moving into a cot, which she didn't. Then my nurse returned and said "Would you like to cuddle him while we remove his incubator?" I was so happy :happydance: :happydance:

Oooh, is 1.8kg the threshold? (does quick calculation) Ah, 4lb! Handy to know what target we're aiming for, though I know it'll depend on whether he's weaned from the oxygen by then too.

Funny but when I arrived yesterday, I was asking the trainee nurse (mine was on break) if she knew the threshold for Andrew moving into a cot, which she didn't. Then my nurse returned and said "Would you like to cuddle him while we remove his incubator?" I was so happy :happydance: :happydance:

I was told the following criteria would determine discharge:

Being over or 1.8 kg
Breathing unassisted or stable assisted breathing if on oxygen
Able to control body temperature
Feeding well and gaining weight

Every hospital is different so it worth checking out the critieria, it gives you hope everytime you pass a milestone.

I was told the following criteria would determine discharge:

Being over or 1.8 kg
Breathing unassisted or stable assisted breathing if on oxygen
Able to control body temperature - CHECK
Feeding well and gaining weight - KINDA CHECK

Almost halfway there - definitely maintaining body temperature, and he's feeding well, albeit from a cup right now but I'm optimistic for getting BF nailed in the next few weeks.

I'm going to be watching his weight like mad from now on!

Getting there, he be home in no time hun!! What an amazing wee man!! xxx

he's coming on a treat hun, will be home in no time :hugs: x

Well, he's getting closer to that weight target - 1.657kg (3lb 10oz) last night!

He's taken a tumble on the oxygen though, they've had to increase him right up to 0.4l (from 0.05ish). It followed a cup-feeding session where they think some milk "went down the wrong way" (in adult speak), i.e. a bit got into his lungs. The nurse was going to ask the docs this morning about resuming cup-feeding, I shall find out this afternoon how that went.

He's also been moved onto 4-hourly feeds now. We were there yesterday for his 3pm feed but he didn't wake or show any signs of hunger, so again no interest in latching on.

Hi Marleysgirl,

Thanks for your reply on Millie's thread, thought I would reply on Andrews!
I think it's quite common for preemeis to have swollen tummies, so if Andrews is not too bad then I am sure it's nothing to worry about. Not sure about the swollen scrotum, but I wish I had not let Millie's swollen tummy go un-investigated for so long. It may come to nothing, and could indeed turn out to be trapped wind, but now they admit maybe it's something different I have to say I am very concerned. Something just didn't seem right about the trapped wind theory and I wish I had been more of a pushy parent. Maybe you could make an appointment to see Dr Gottenstein to discuss the swelling on his scrotum?

How did today go? Was he able to continue with his cup feeding? He is doing so well, and he is getting to be such a big strapping boy, Millie sends him a big hug x

We asked again about the swelling and it's been confirmed that it's not a hernia, just simply swelling of the genitals - and apparently premie boys sometimes get this. The Doc said that they won't worry until he gets to a year old, see if it's still swollen then.

They tried Andrew with cup-feeding at 11, but he wasn't very interested and too dozey so they tube-fed. I was going to cupfeed at 3, but again he was too sleepy - well, he had just been awake for 30 minutes while we tried to BF! He's very into kissy and lying there with my nipple lightly in his mouth, but no sucking yet.

They're feeding him 58ml every 4 hours now, it looks like loads and I wonder whether he's got hollow legs, as his tummy can't be that big! I'm only expressing between 50 & 60ml every 4 hours, so he's caught me up, he'll be overtaking me soon and I'll have to start ramping up production!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->