• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Andrew - born at 29 weeks!

Well, Andrew's consumption will officially have exceeded my EBM production today!

He's put on another 112g in 3 days - so now he's 1.769 kg, or 3lb 14oz. Only two ounces off that magical 4lb figure!

He's still spending 90% of his time asleep, putting all his calories into growing. As a result, he's hardly awake for cupfeeding (they manage about 5-10ml a time before he snoozes) or for attempting breastfeeding. But never mind, he's doing something useful (growing) during his sleep, so I will continue not to fret until he reaches term in another three weeks.

My EBM appears to be decreasing though, now down to 45-50ml a session, not sure what's causing that. I'm reluctant to go to the docs to get medication, so will be hunting fenugreek tablets on the net, plus I've started on the oats (porridge & hobnobs) this morning.

Andrew is having an MRI scan this evening to assess the damage caused by the prenatal cranial bleed, not a pleasant process for either him or us.

isn't he doing well! and you:)

Are you really tired, you are on a bit of a stressful journey after all? Perhaps this is effecting your milk?
I was useless at expressing while Rose was in hospital, was lucky to get 10ml:blush:and i was on domperidone! My milk only really took off once she was able to bf and then there was no stopping her.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted x

Gosh Andrew is doing so well he's growing at a great rate and 8 weeks old already!
Good luck with the MRI scan xxx

Yay! Well done Andrew :happydance:

You eating and drinking enough? I found the most difficult thing whilst too-ing and fro-ing to the hospital was eating regular, proper meals. My supply definitely increased when I got back to eating properly.

Not sure if it's the porridge, but my EBM has been back up at 60ml the last couple of times :happydance: Andrew's now on 62ml per session, but still only taking 5-10ml by cup.

And he's been promoted - out of High Dep, and into the Nursery :happydance: :happydance:

The MRI scan was a bit of a palaver. His last feed was at 1pm, oral sedation given at 5pm then went down to the dept to find the radiographer leaving to do an urgent neonatal xray! When she returned 30 mins later, Andrew was waking - his hunger fighting against the sedation. She faffed for 15mins trying to put a SaO2 monitor on his foot/hand, and he was wide awake and moving, so she declared she couldn't scan him till he was settled. I cuddled him while the nurse tubefed him a small amount of EBM and luckily he went to sleep. Another 5mins faff with the monitor before giving up (the nurse would watch his pinkness!) and into the MRI scanner. Then the radiographer had problems with the scanner, so he was in there 30 mins instead of 15mins. Aaaaaaargh. A simple scan turned into a 2 hour session. Luckily he stayed settled despite the noise (they didn't give him ear protectors, only me!) and they got a good image.

Back up to the ward for cares and the rest of his now-late feed, and a Sister starts talking about his move to a different hospital to free a bed. You what???????????? First we've heard, and he's where he should be given where we live; moving him to the next hospital would cause us transport problems and - more importantly - makes no sense for continuity of his care, especially following an MRI scan for his cranial bleed. Seriously not happy, stressed, worrying - I wasn't even taken aside to be told this, it was bandied across the open ward. I told her to go and check again with his consultant, and hopefully we'll find out more today.

I don't understand why they would move you, are you currently in a level 3 unit, are they sending you to a level 2 unit? I thought they always try to locate you closer to home. Emily was born in a hospital an hours drive from home and then was transferred nearer home which was a 10 minute journey. I don't understand why they would move your further out...I would definitely fight it, moving babies is never good and is unsettling.

I hope the scans turn out to be positive, fingers crossed...

Glad your EBM has improved, drinking lots and eating regularly is key...

Well, they're not moving him :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

It would make no sense in our eyes to move him further away (okay, so it's only a few miles but it's the wrong way for transport!), and would be bad for assessing his progress. But I'm not sure these were convincing arguments, I think it was our refusal to give our consent that probably made them think again. Not to mention how it would look on the documentary that Andrew's participating in .........

Millie won't have to say bye to her litle friend so soon then. Glad you were able to get their decision changed, it'd be more stressful if you were unable to get to and fro easily....as if life isn't stressful enough with a baby in SCBU!

It sounds like the brain scan was a bit of a farce, but I am glad they got there in the end and I hope everything is okay.

Well done Andrew!! Glad they not moving yous, though am sure you would be putting your foot down if they were anyway!!

Hope scan all ok hun and get home soon Andrew!! xxx

Aww well done Andrew for moving to the last nursery....next step HOME! Great news on your EBM too. Glad you put your foot down re the move, such a silly decision anyway.

More pictures please!

Dona and Archie xxx

Okay, I'll try and get more photos uploaded for you!

Andrew had his first bath today :happydance: which means I bathed a baby for the first time :happydance: And he was really good, didn't pee or poop in his towel nor in the bath. Splashed quite happily. Then had his feed (tube) and went to sleep.

Woohooooooooooooooooooo .... he's over the 4lb limit! Weighed in last night at 1840g, which is 4lb 1oz in old money.

There was a vague muttering of him perhaps coming home on oxygen if we can get the BF sorted, but I asked about that and they said they'd let me know if/when they want me to visit for longer or "room in" so that we get BF established.

How fantastic!!!!!!!!!O:) you must be so pleased. not long now then x

thats fantastic news, he will be home in no time xx

Fab news hun, and he liked the bath!! better than my first experience, Emma cried her head off!!! xxx

have just been reading through and had to say what a beautiful little boy you have. You must be sooooooo proud, and for him to be so strong xxxx

Woohoo ............. Andrew took a short breast-feed today! :D Only for a few minutes but he definitely got milk this time, not just mouthing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->