• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Announcing pregnancies early on FB.

I didn't, I'm not a fan of the early fb announcement.

You know what...who cares??? If its not for you, dont do it. Why judge others. I have lost four babies, and I announce when *I* feel ready. I just find this sooo immature. These are children....we cant talk about our children because someone on facebook might not like it? People should feel free to talk about their pregnancies AND their losses. This is THE most annoying part about losing a pregnancy....because OTHER people get upset. Too fk'n bad. If you are a FRIEND....you should care to know when its good and bad. Sorry, but my babies are my babies....they mean no less than the ones who are with me today.

Forget facebook but I couldn't even tell people before I actually saw a baby in there, I didn't even believe I was pregnant myself let alone making others believe it, even whilst suffering from all day sickness and dizziness. LOL

Sounds kinda weird I know, I'm probably the only one who thought like that.

Its a really personal decision.
My family know i'm pregnant but i haven't announced it to friends, less close family or acquaintances.
I'd rather wait till after my first scan, or even later.
With my first two pregnancies i did it the day of my scan, because until that point i was petrified something would go wrong.
With Evelyn i'd been shut in my bedroom/a hospital ward for the entire 12 weeks with hyperemesis and i think people thought i was about to announce something awful.

First, we told parents quite early and then announced about 12 weeks, but I was majorly sick so most people knew, you can't hide being sick 10 times a day lol.

The second I told people at 11 weeks and lost it a week later.

The third I told a few select people, mostly because I found out it was twins and wanted supported of I lost them as it was just 3 months previous to my MC ... We announced at 12 weeks.

This time we are waiting as long as possible, my mothers and best friend know as it's hard to hide the sickness and I've been bleeding the entire time so back and forth EPU, my scan is under 2 weeks away and I don't think we will rush to tell the world at that point. We can't imagine hubby's family being thrilled, ideally I'd like to wait until SIL had her first baby as it don't want it ruin it for her but I'd be 20 weeks at that point so difficult to hide by then.

I was 10 weeks with my first after a scan and 13 weeks with my second.

Does is really matter? Is there really an etiquette? It's up to the couple! Can't say I think about it, if I see an announcement my first thought is to congratulate them, not do the maths and think "oooo that's a bit soon", not my business.

You know what...who cares??? If its not for you, dont do it. Why judge others. I have lost four babies, and I announce when *I* feel ready. I just find this sooo immature. These are children....we cant talk about our children because someone on facebook might not like it? People should feel free to talk about their pregnancies AND their losses. This is THE most annoying part about losing a pregnancy....because OTHER people get upset. Too fk'n bad. If you are a FRIEND....you should care to know when its good and bad. Sorry, but my babies are my babies....they mean no less than the ones who are with me today.

For me, it wasn't worry about how it would affect anyone else, it was more insecurity of myself needing to talk about about it, which was just too hard for me. With my first m/c, since I had announced it early and everyone knew, people were asking me how things were going, so I then had to explain. They definitely cared, and were sympathetic. I guess its just a personal thing. Some people need and want that support, and others find it very uncomfortable. I found it uncomfortable at the time havign to keep dredging it up, when I was trying to move past it. So for me, to not announce early is more due to my own discomfort in dealing with it if something bad were to happen than worrying about how others felt about it. It had nothing to do with friends being uncaring about it. I told friends and close friends both times we lost babies, but didn't feel it was something everyone else needed to know.

With both of mine I didn't announce until after the 12 weeks. I felt very aware something could go wrong, but I think that was because I'd lost an ovary beforehand.

My sister is pregnant and she only announced after the 12 weeks.

I had a friend who announced as soon as she knew and she miscarried, it was so devastating to watch from afar. I felt so much for her. She fell pregnant again not long afterwards but it wasn't announced until much further into her second tri.

I was 10 weeks with my first after a scan and 13 weeks with my second.

Does is really matter? Is there really an etiquette? It's up to the couple! Can't say I think about it, if I see an announcement my first thought is to congratulate them, not do the maths and think "oooo that's a bit soon", not my business.

I do agree with this though.

It's very much up to the couple and how they feel about it.

Personal decision. I rarely update fb with personal info so it would be out of character for me to announce anything, other friends are much more open and post far more about their day to day lives than I do

I never officially posted on FB when I was pregnant, though I stopped hiding it around 18 weeks. Didn't do an announcement as, to be quite honest, I felt I should be ashamed as I was young.

But I definitely don't think there's a right or wrong; people want to share their joy, and if it means potentially sharing their pain later on then that's okay, it could even be a good thing as provide a support network for themselves and their friends who may have suffered silently with the same thing. 12 weeks feels such a long time, especially for an excited first time mum!

We announced on fb straight away (after telling family first)

I like to think positive and that nothing will go wrong. I started showing really early too so wouldnt have been able to hide it for long!

I really only have friends / family i see on facebook, so no biggie imo. I havent said much about it since other than one bump pic :)

You are right it is your right to announce or not. But I don't think anyone is judging early pregnancy announcements. A lot of people want to be left alone when they had a MC and not hear from every single person in their friends list and that's why they keep in private. It's really a matter of preference and how one deals with sorrow and no side the only one that is right.

I personaly became a lot more private on FB ever since getting pregnant. I even post far fewer pics than I used to...but I have friends that are the exact opposite.

You are right it is your right to announce or not. But I don't think anyone is judging early pregnancy announcements. A lot of people want to be left alone when they had a MC and not hear from every single person in their friends list and that's why they keep in private. It's really a matter of preference and how one deals with sorrow and no side the only one that is right.

I personaly became a lot more private on FB ever since getting pregnant. I even post far fewer pics than I used to...but I have friends that are the exact opposite.

Just asking if people should is being judgey. Iknow why people keep quiet...I do have experience in the matter. People who have miscarriages grieve too. They want to be acknowledged and have the pregnancy, their feelings, validated....just like any other death. There is a stigma and a social awkwardness around miscarriages and stillbirths that make these feelings hard and women feel alone and isolated. For sure, people can choose to keep it quiet. I think its rude to ask if people 'should' announce it. That is judgey. Of course they should, if they want. Why ask?

Another reason I'm glad my pregnancies were before FB was a "thing"

Just asking if people should is being judgey. Iknow why people keep quiet...I do have experience in the matter. People who have miscarriages grieve too. They want to be acknowledged and have the pregnancy, their feelings, validated....just like any other death. There is a stigma and a social awkwardness around miscarriages and stillbirths that make these feelings hard and women feel alone and isolated. For sure, people can choose to keep it quiet. I think its rude to ask if people 'should' announce it. That is judgey. Of course they should, if they want. Why ask?

I totally agree with you Jasmak. I have a dear friend that is going through a hard time and has recently miscarried. I started out hiding my details from her but soon opened it back up. She wanted to know about my baby and my kids. We share our lives, that's what true friends do.

I never said ppl shouldn't grieve if they miscarried :/ I just said some ppl are more private than others with grief, I know because I am one of them. FB for me is not a place to share my emotions, but maybe I just use it differently from the masses.

I didn't announce on fb until after 14 weeks. I would have held out longer but I was very unwell (hyperemesis) and had been admitted to hospital and was off work.

By that point I'd had 4 scans and still terrified I'd lose my baby. Fortunately all went well xx

Fb wasn't as popular when I was pregnant as it is now. :haha:

That being said, I think its really up to the people who are having the baby to decide when they want to announce. There have been people on my FB who announce right away when they're not even 6 weeks, others who announce at the suggested 12 weeks, and others still who don't even bother to announce. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->