Another Mirena story thread

Thanks for this thread, less than 3 weeks till I go in to get mine inserted :)

hey ladies i am considering this, are there any hormonal side effects since mirena does have hormones in it unlike the copper IUD which has no hormones?
also does it affect sex? does it hurt when its inserted if you have not had a vaginal birth??

It hasn't effected my sex life at all. I'm losing weight with it in, although there is some reports of weight gain on it from others. I have no idea though about pain if you haven't had a vaginal, but they recommend that you have it inserted while on your period so your cervix is opened up. I found insertion painless.

I really LOVE this form of birth control.

5 days later and still spotty but its very very faint now.

I almost think last week was my period because I got bloated for about 3 days and went up 4lbs on the scale :/

This morning I've shed all of that. I'm not 100% sure though as I haven't been hitting the gym as hard as I've liked but that all changes this week.

So, I'm still standing on the assertion that I haven't gained any weight on this little bugger.

No cramps. No ill feelings. No real complaints still and its been about 2 months

Mkay. Still spotting. So I think I might just spot the entire month of July at this point. The ONLY time I've had a break from spotting is right before my "period" in June. The rest has been constant light spotting.

At this point I've gotten used to seeing it. :coffee:

I'm hopefully having it in once my period comes... If it comes, noo sign yet and I had the teensiest bit of spotting s few days ago but it was literally a spot and that was it. Want AF to come now so that I can go ahead and get this thing in!

It took 9 weesk for my period to show back up PP. I was starting to think it would never come lol

Still spotting although it's lighter than it was.

Back to spotting, came back last night. Although its finally starting to happen maybe once or twice a day instead of all day like it was. I'm almost to 3 months.

*stalking*

I had mine implanted on 5/24/12. And I spotted a lot too in the begining. My first period was about 2 days of spotting then a heavy two days then back to spotting. However, I have been cramping, something I never experienced while on my period. I just think its my body getting used to it.

Chinagirl - the wait for our bodies to get used to this thing is the worst! Spotting is soooo much fun :coffee:

Yesterday in the morning I had dark brown spotting and then none since. Haven't so far had any today either. Hope that means it decided maybe it's all done with the spotting stuff? Maybe? Might be? Hold out hope?

*stalking* i havnt decided about getting mirena yet or not, but considering it- still on the fence, but i thought i would follow ur journey to help make that decision.

Spotting has stayed at bay the past few days. BUT now I have a yeast infection. Sigh. I don't know if it's tied to the mirena though.

Pros and cons to Mirena...

I was fitted with the Mirena in February 2008 before ever having a child. It was inserted while not on my period and was only a tiny pinch of discomfort. I did have pretty heavy cramps the rest of the afternoon that day but afterward, no discomfort to speak of. I don't recall any spotting or periods after insertion and didn't gain any weight. I'm terrible about remembering to take a pill daily so Mirena was the BEST birth control IMO.

As for sex, I did find it uncomfortable in certain positions when my DH would penetrate more deeply and bump the IUD but this would be on a case-by-case basis depending on the couple since cervical position and penis length would be factors to consider...

I started getting my period again about two years after insertion. At first I thought it had been bumped out of place or fallen out but the doctor confirmed it was still where it needed to be and was just "one of those things". It didn't really bother me. They were cramp-free periods that came every 29-33 days, same as before Mirena.

I had the Mirena removed in February 2011 in order to start TTC. It was removed while not on my period and was completely painless. Less than 30 seconds and she was done and I hadn't felt a thing. Since I was still getting my monthly period before removal, it continued on the same pattern as before. I started charting my BBT immediately after removal and found that my temps followed the "normal" pattern.

So with all of this information, I would say that Mirena is WONDERFUL.

However, I did test with low progesterone levels when TTC and based on communications with several other ex-Mirena IUD users who also have problems with low progesterone, we attribute this to the Mirena IUD. It's like our bodies have forgotten how to produce its own progesterone which is needed to sustain a pregnancy so while several of the ladies I chat with have suffered miscarriages from the low progesterone, I was lucky enough to be tested early and start a progesterone supplement right away which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.

As much as I loved Mirena, my DH and I have decided not to use birth control between children so as to avoid future progesterone issues...

DukesAngel, I got my cycle last weekend. I had v.light spotting on Friday, full blown on Saturday but I was not heavy at :nope: This is good:thumbup: hopefully AF will be gone by tomorrow.

Spotting has still stopped. So I'm going to go with spotting is finally over with?

Now I'm just waiting on that first period

Well, after some further education, Mirena is not for me..or any IUD :( Im sorta bummed bc it really would be a good fit, but since learning that it doesn't prevent ov. i just cant go through with it...blah...just disappointed

good luck to you! im glad you are no longer spotting :dance:
Thank you for sharing your story!

Guppy, may I ask why the fact that it doesnt prevent ovulation changed your mind about using it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->