Another Mirena story thread

DukesAngel

Reaction score
I decided to do this on the flip side of what I've been reading on the internet. (not singling out this forum or any member on it) Just to see if my experience turns out to be positive then it might help others decide.

I had my Mirena inserted yesterday afternoon. It was reccomended that I be on my period for insertion so I had to wait 9 weeks after giving birth for this thing to start :coffee:

Being on my period was a little weird but the doctors office gave me a padded plastic cloth to lay down on to catch anything.

Insertion took about 10 minutes and the doctor told me what he was doing the entire time. I never felt a thing. Had no cramping afterwards, no cramping during, and was in no pain or discomfort whatsoever. I'm still a little shocked its been inserted since so many people complain about it being crampy or uncomfortable afterwards.

I have 2 friends with the Mirena and both of them have had it for 5 years and both of them are getting it reinserted this year. Both of them have had their periods stop, neither have had any weight gain (one has actually lost weight), and both spoke very very highly of it.

So I'll update this every week for the first month then once a month thereafter until I have nothing more to say about it.

But it's in there, I have no idea it's there, but its in there.

Update that is less than one week from insertion..

Period has stopped today, which is normal for my period without any additional hormones. It got super light at the end just like it normally does. So I can't say the Mirena has changed anything. I also have had NO additional cramping and I also do NOT know its there. I've checked the strings quite a few times and they are tucked up behind my cervix.

For the time being everything is basically just like normal.

I had a fantastic experience with my mirena too.! I had it in for the full 5 years and never had a single period during that time, I would have another put in without hesitation but DH has just had a vasectomy! ( we had completed our family 10 years ago before this baby came along! Lol.....) I suppose it's the same as anything, it's usually only people with a negative experience that bother to post so I'm glad you started this thread. X

I had a good experience with Merina also.
I did have a " break through" bleeding for about 7 weeks after it was inserted but soon afterwards I had one heavy period and never had one again.
I wore it for 18 months before we decided to TTC again.
I had used IUI to conceive our DD so I assumed we would TTC for 1 yr then go back for IUI again.
I had Merina removed Aug 2 .. we conceived our son Aug 17th.. two weeks after removal and no return of my period.. go figure..lol.

Spotting has begun yesterday. So Sunday my period stopped and yesterday I have started spotting. Still no cramping associated with this at all. Strings are where they should be and the spotting really doesn't annoy me at all.

One week!!!

I've had Mirena since Nov 3. For a few weeks I had spotting, but it was never more than that - a spot. And not even daily. Dr said it was prob from bf too. Insertion was a little pinch but I had it done before my period resumed (bf so not sure when it would return). I had to have two preg tests a week apart and no sexy time before for at least a week and 10 days after. No cramps or anything. No period still though I get minor spotting for 1 day around when it "should" be. I really enjoy no periods lol! However, it has been harder for me to lose weight with it, but BCP used to make me gain.

All in all, I recommend it.

Still spotting.... I was able to just do pantyliners all week at work. Sex though, makes it get heavier as does gym time. (wearing a tampon to the gym) So so far I've had a little over a week and a half of period/spotting...

As far as weight loss goes I got this thing while I'm actively dieting and exercising. On my weigh in at work today (we have a group weight loss thing going) I lost 1.7lbs in a week, which is on par with my goals. So I haven't seen an issue with weight loss.

Spotting has slowed down a whole lot the past 3 days. I didn't wake up with any blood this morning and the spotting is super light pink. I'm optimistic that it will stop within the next week or so.

Spotting has tapered off to almost nothing. Don't even need pantyliners anymore. Other than that no side effects thus far.

I'm glad you posted this thread! I still have six weeks until I go back for my birth control appointment but mirena was my top choice. I'll keep looking back to this thread to see how you get on with it. :)

Monday and Tuesday were spot free. Today I had a very very very faint pink discharge that required no pantyliner. That's about the only update I have.

Not even spotting anymore its more like a heavier discharge now. I'm not wearing pantyliner's at all anymore.

Next week will be week 4 with this thing and I feel like I'm having some PMS bitchyness that should be here around this time anyway. I'd be interested to see if I have a period next week.

Otherwise, strings are still there. I'm still happy.

Still nary a spot! Been crampy but other than that no complaints at all. I'm still interested to see if ms. period shows up or not this week.

I'm guessing I'm on my period. It's spotting at best but is enough for a pantyliner and that's it.

Still happy.

I had the lightest period ever. It got "heavy" for like a day or two, but was never anything crazy. Stopped yesterday. I can deal with that.

Other than that, it's been in one month and I have no complaints.

Hi, don't mean to hijack but I'm so glad you have done this thread! There's so many negative threads it's good to have a positive!
I had a merina fitted last week and I wanted to say my experience was brilliant! I had it fitted during my period so my cervix was slightly open anyway(sorry if tmi!) the worst part was the speculum and that didn't hurt it was just uncomfortable like with a smear. She then used a local anaesthetic gel which was cold but from then on I felt NOTHING! It was fab!! She kept saying sorry if it's cold but I honestly didn't feel anything. She inserted the merina and I was shocked it was over in less than 4 mins!!

After reading some negative stories I'd prepared myself for the worst but I had some mild period cramping on the day of fitting, but that could have been because I was on my period!! Since then I have forgotten it was there, to the point that I thought it might have been expelled but I checked the threads this morning and still there! My period stopped on the normal day and since have has nothing but normal discharge.

Obviously I am in the early days so am aware that the side effects could still outweigh the positives but so far so good! Just gotta check my husband can't feel it during nookie lol!, xx

Bella I'm happy your results are also *so far* great!

My spotting has showed back up. But it's so freaking light. It just doesn't bother me.

I've also lost a lb a week since having this thing in. Which many women complain of weight gain on this. I have been actively dieting and exercising to lose 50lbs so this has not impeded me in the least. I'm happy still and THRILLED that I don't have to take pills every day, mess with a patch, remember to pull the ring out at 3 weeks, or fiddle with condoms.

Just to piggyback I've also been happy with my mirena. I had it inserted about 6 months ago. it didn't hurt but I did feel a pinch. I also had spotting for a while and no period until last month. When I got my period I was very surprised and called my OB and he said totally normal.

Still spotting. Had a few days this month it seems with no spotting at all, a few days where it was heavy enough to be called my period, and then the rest is off and on spotting. Eh well. :) I'm still happy with it.

Alrighty then, I'm STILL spotting...

It hasn't affected my sex life at all and besides just wearing a panty liner its really ok.

I'm hoping though.. that it clears up in the next few weeks/months.

Seriously though, I'm so easy going that it just doesn't bother me at all. I just change a pantyliner and I'm done.

But I don't seem to be the minority with the spotting and from what I've read it should stop by 6 months.. I'll give it more time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->