Another Mirena story thread

Guppy, may I ask why the fact that it doesnt prevent ovulation changed your mind about using it?

My personal reason is morals, for me i am not in any way judging anyone here! But, for me, life begins when sperm and egg meet up. Science says its not pregnancy until implantation, but i disagree. The hormone the Mirena puts into the uterus is to keep the lining of the uterus thin so that if a sperm and egg ever does meet, it can't implant. For me, thats an abortive type of BC..and quite honestly it sucks that i have the conviction i do about it bc it really would be a good thing for us. I am very disappointed to have learned this information...sigh...:sad1:

However, I did test with low progesterone levels when TTC and based on communications with several other ex-Mirena IUD users who also have problems with low progesterone, we attribute this to the Mirena IUD. It's like our bodies have forgotten how to produce its own progesterone which is needed to sustain a pregnancy so while several of the ladies I chat with have suffered miscarriages from the low progesterone, I was lucky enough to be tested early and start a progesterone supplement right away which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.

As much as I loved Mirena, my DH and I have decided not to use birth control between children so as to avoid future progesterone issues...

This is similar to what happen to me after the pill. Only i ended up MCing...which is why i could never bring myself to go back on the pill again. i had low progesterone and lost the baby. We got pregnant my very first cycle off BCPs....bad mistake. Wont happen again. I know that MCs are common, but i deeply think that i MCed bc my progesterone was still too low seeing how i wasn't off BCPs very long.

Guppy, may I ask why the fact that it doesnt prevent ovulation changed your mind about using it?

My personal reason is morals, for me i am not in any way judging anyone here! But, for me, life begins when sperm and egg meet up. Science says its not pregnancy until implantation, but i disagree. The hormone the Mirena puts into the uterus is to keep the lining of the uterus thin so that if a sperm and egg ever does meet, it can't implant. For me, thats an abortive type of BC..and quite honestly it sucks that i have the conviction i do about it bc it really would be a good thing for us. I am very disappointed to have learned this information...sigh...:sad1:

However, I did test with low progesterone levels when TTC and based on communications with several other ex-Mirena IUD users who also have problems with low progesterone, we attribute this to the Mirena IUD. It's like our bodies have forgotten how to produce its own progesterone which is needed to sustain a pregnancy so while several of the ladies I chat with have suffered miscarriages from the low progesterone, I was lucky enough to be tested early and start a progesterone supplement right away which resulted in a healthy pregnancy.

As much as I loved Mirena, my DH and I have decided not to use birth control between children so as to avoid future progesterone issues...

This is similar to what happen to me after the pill. Only i ended up MCing...which is why i could never bring myself to go back on the pill again. i had low progesterone and lost the baby. We got pregnant my very first cycle off BCPs....bad mistake. Wont happen again. I know that MCs are common, but i deeply think that i MCed bc my progesterone was still too low seeing how i wasn't off BCPs very long.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've never suffered a miscarriage but I know I could never handle it. When I initially tested for progesterone and someone here on BnB said the reading was pretty low, I did a bunch of my own research and called my doctor basically demanding a supplement to start right away. They thought it was "unnecessary" and said they only give supplements after THREE miscarriages. I can't begin to imagine going through something like that three times. I can be pretty stubborn and bitchy, especially when finally pregnant after trying for so long and convinced them to get me a supplement that afternoon. There's no doubt in my mind things would have ended very differently had it not been prescribed.

Anyway, thank you for the information about why you changed your mind about Mirena. I agree that life begins as soon as egg/sperm meet. It seems my dr misinformed me initially about the IUD preventing ovulation. Makes me sad for any pregnancies I may have lost while inserted. I'm glad DH and I are on the same page for not using birth control going forward...

Wondering if I will get my period next week or not?

Thanks to all the ladies contributing in this thread!

Holy period for no reason this month. I stopped spotting up until this weekend when it started and now I have an actual period. Still lighter than it was before, but its a period.

Figure I'd update. I have nothing to really update. I had a "period" but it wasn't heavy or anything and it lasted about 2 days.

Still loving this BC!!

This is exactly the reason why I don't think the coil is for me as I believe life begins when sperm and egg meet- I guess it's back to the pill for me unless dh has the snip! Xx

I wonder how these feel when you have them removed?

This is exactly the reason why I don't think the coil is for me as I believe life begins when sperm and egg meet- I guess it's back to the pill for me unless dh has the snip! Xx

The pill is also an abortifacient. If you do conceive on the pill, it's supposed to keep the egg from implanting... I have the same belief as you. That's why I'm going to use a diaphragm again.

Google Search for Breakthrough Ovulation

Nothing to report.. this would be about the time my period would normally show up.. so lets see if it shows. I;ve had no spotting or anything for weeks now. Strings are still in the same place.

I'm going to guess no period this month. Nothing has tried to start. No spotting. No cramping. No nothing. Yay!

So, do you have to check for the string often?
Do they teach you how to check for the string?

No they don't really show you how to do it. When they inserted it they had me feel the cut strings so I knew what it would feel like.

Every couple weeks while I'm in the shower I will check since I am clean and not worried about well.. anything..

They stay tucked up behind my cervix and depending on what time of the month it is, the are either right there or I have to feel a little to feel them. They just feel like stiff strings I guess is the best way to describe them.

Period has stopped. It was very very light, didn't require a tampon or a pad or even a panty liner.

This is honestly the best birth control ever. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm 5 months into this and it was a very rocky 3 months in the begining but I'm sooo happy I've stuck it out.

Update:

Nothing new. No spotting at all this month. Nothing really to even report about. It's now gotten boring lol

I wonder how these feel when you have them removed?

They recommend getting it taken out when you have your period (if you still get one). I felt a slight tug when my was removed. Nothing painful. I had it informed 4 years before trying for my LO. Hopefully getting it put back in tomorrow (not sure dr. Has power back yet from the hurricane).

So I just thought I'd add my experience to your thread. I was able to have the mirena put in on Wed (7 weeks PP). I didn't feel it being put in. I was a little crampy that afternoon and had slight spotting (barely enough for a panty liner). I had a little cramping again the next day but no spotting. It's now Friday and I don't have any cramping or spotting.

I'm so glad this thread is here, my GP suggested the coil to me today and I wasn't too keen, but when she showed me how it is inserted etc it looks quite a good option. I was concerned about if you use tampons/have sex it could get dislodged or tugged on, but I'm guessing this isn't the case?

I never had an issues with the IUD and sex or tampons. Though I didn't use tampons very often because it reached the point that my period was barely enough for panty liners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->