Another suspected Autism post.. Please reply

sorry I have not replied to PM yet hun, I will do I promise (damn summer holidays LOL)

Hope today was ok, I promise it WILL get a bit easier, I found it horrendous till M was 5 and could communicate a bit more and then it got a bit easier x

Definitely.. Communication seems to be the hardest thing atm.. he says a word, I have no clue what he's on about, but he thinks I do, so when I sayy I don't understand that is it.. tantrum. It's hard because I have a 6 month old too and although I spend as much time as poss with her it seems like Kyle is getting all of the attention and when I go back to her it's time for her nap.. I feel so bad.. On both of them. if I'm honest I feel like a useless Mum, even though I have their best intentions at heart I can't seem do to right for doing wrong :(

Definitely.. Communication seems to be the hardest thing atm.. he says a word, I have no clue what he's on about, but he thinks I do, so when I sayy I don't understand that is it.. tantrum. It's hard because I have a 6 month old too and although I spend as much time as poss with her it seems like Kyle is getting all of the attention and when I go back to her it's time for her nap.. I feel so bad.. On both of them. if I'm honest I feel like a useless Mum, even though I have their best intentions at heart I can't seem do to right for doing wrong :(

Oh babe, don't feel like that :hugs: I know what you mean because I regularly think I fail my DD but everyone says I'm a fantastic mum and that they wouldn't be able to handle her! Its very hard, can be very lonely and a very stressful time, just remember it won't be forever, he's still very young! Have you tried establishing a strict routine so he knows what will always be happening and maybe using photo cards! At my DD school they use them, they have photos of painting, sandpit, jigsaws etc and let her pick so its easier to communicate, also in her new school they have there daily routine in pics, I.e. Registration, singing, playtime etc so the children know what's happening next! You could try brushing teeth, getting dressed, breakfast pics etc! And does he have a punishment e.g naughty spot?? Xxx

Who do you go to for diagnoses? My doc sent me to pead for tests for William as he has sensory issues but no one will take notice of that. He dosnt eat and always mouths objects. My sister has severe autism so it would be in the family to. He dosnt have classic signs just some but no one is taking me seriously. His speech was slow to come in to. Even now its hard to get.

I took M to GP who gave us refural to a pead, after about 2 yrs she made refural to the CAMHS and autism ADOS assement team which took a month and then we got diagnosis xx

We have almost the same age gap with out LO's so I remember how hard it is with a baby aswell! I almost blame rubys rough weaning transition on the fact matthew was so hard work and I dont feel like I weaned her properly and she is so fussy but you cant spend life blaming the past so I have to get over it!

One suggestion I had was to not feel bad about putting on a dvd if that is what your son likes, dont feel about about them watching tv if you get some time with baby etc.

xx

The peads said they dont take anything to do with that here . They said to me to wait till he gets to play school and primary school they school will notice something. Felt like what I said didnt matter as a mum.

I felt like that too :( I had to keep pushing and pushing :( The pead saw him as he needed the usual fragile x blood test etc, she just kept seeing his every 6mths (probably hoping I would get bored and stop pestering them!) x

They just done blood tests to see if theres medically anything then said there was nothing they could do . And the hv said go to speech therapy which takes months for an app and I am not speaking to her at present over something. My sister took years and she is severe, she had to go to main stream school. Williams only a few mild things but the main one is food issues, oral sensory. But hv has that down to just a bad kid who is laughing at me and doing it on purpose. Yes thats why he is so under weight ,its a game. She has no clue.

stupid HV, can you change HV?

My son is currently in mainstream school as he does not have a full statement x

Just not sure of company's in NI that could help? We have portage here, hope someone can help you xx

stupid HV, can you change HV?

My son is currently in mainstream school as he does not have a full statement x

My DD got her statement 3 weeks ago, she spent nursery and reception in mainstream school! She is attending a SEN school in sept! Are you currently going through the statement process??xx

he has 16 hours of 1:1 provision but I think he is ok atm and loves school. He is mainstream but I just make sure they all know what they are doing etc and he has been fine. I dont want to move him if all is ok because he has been with the kids since preschool and they all know him etc and he is happy. He always hits his IEP targets and his achievement level is of that of a year 4 child. He will probably go to a SN school for secondary although our local secondary school has just opened a ASD unit attached so will see how that does xx

good luck to your LO xx

Who do you go to for diagnoses? My doc sent me to pead for tests for William as he has sensory issues but no one will take notice of that. He dosnt eat and always mouths objects. My sister has severe autism so it would be in the family to. He dosnt have classic signs just some but no one is taking me seriously. His speech was slow to come in to. Even now its hard to get.

I'm in northern ireland too so I'll run through who we seen.

My son has been attending speech therapy since he was 2. She referred him to a child development clinic who referred him for an autism assessment. In the meantime he was also seen by an educational psychologist who helped me get him a place in a special nursery, he starts in september. We had his autism assessment a month or so ago and we got his diagnosis.

Where abouts are you? I'm in belfast so there are many services about. I'm sure other parts of the country aren't so well provided for.

Oh babe, don't feel like that :hugs: I know what you mean because I regularly think I fail my DD but everyone says I'm a fantastic mum and that they wouldn't be able to handle her! Its very hard, can be very lonely and a very stressful time, just remember it won't be forever, he's still very young! Have you tried establishing a strict routine so he knows what will always be happening and maybe using photo cards! At my DD school they use them, they have photos of painting, sandpit, jigsaws etc and let her pick so its easier to communicate, also in her new school they have there daily routine in pics, I.e. Registration, singing, playtime etc so the children know what's happening next! You could try brushing teeth, getting dressed, breakfast pics etc! And does he have a punishment e.g naughty spot?? Xxx

He's had a strict routine since being a baba :( - He always knows whats coming next and I tell him too, for example.. your going for a nap in 10mins etc. Although the cards might be a good idea! Same here hun, my mum often tells me how proud she is of the way I'm bringing them up, but it's hard to accept that when your getting things thrown at you! - Yeah I've tried to enforce the naughty step but it doesn't work, as soon as he's off it, he does whatever he did to get on it, again and again. Shouting doesn't work, and I don't want to do that anyway, I don't want him to be scared to say something for fear of my reaction. His room is his happy place so I don't want to make that a place of punishment cos I don't think their bedroom is good for that. I did however, get him a tent and put it in his room with loads of cushions and "comfort" toys.. This usually calms him down now, but for how long!? lol. Has your DD been diagnosed or are you still in the process ?

Oh Dragonfly, I'm sorry to hear your having such a hard time being heard! - Keep pushing, sometimes health visitors over look things (easy to do though) that they really shouldn't. I mean I remember asking my HV why my son (at 12mnths) was banging his head on his cot/wall constantly.. She asked me if I was going into him.. Uh, yes he's gonna damage himself! She said, oh that's why then, just stop going in. Uh what!?. Just push push push hun, your the mum and you spend the most time with your baba and should listen to you! I hope you start getting somewhere soon!

Does anyone know how long this process takes ? Roughly.

Does anyone know how long this process takes ? Roughly.

We had our appointment with the child development clinic in January, where he seen development doc etc. They referred him then and his autism assessment was at the start of july. So about 6 months for us.

I'm in northern ireland too so I'll run through who we seen.

My son has been attending speech therapy since he was 2. She referred him to a child development clinic who referred him for an autism assessment. In the meantime he was also seen by an educational psychologist who helped me get him a place in a special nursery, he starts in september. We had his autism assessment a month or so ago and we got his diagnosis.

Where abouts are you? I'm in belfast so there are many services about. I'm sure other parts of the country aren't so well provided for.

Newry and Mourne area. I have to get referal for speech therapy.HV is rubbish and gave me earful when I asked for it saying she said it a while ago, we thought he would be ok but when I asked again I have no idea why she went off on me, we dont speak for other reasons now. I want help for his eating or lack of it not just told he is a menace when he isnt. Think I will try another doc.

Yes instant but they didnt want to diagnose without ruling out other things if you get me, He had to have speech test, IQ tests etc he had ADOS assement. It also depends on area and stuff. I know about 4 people in my area who have received misdiagnosis of aspergers when it was actually autism so they are more wary now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->