Another suspected Autism post.. Please reply

So the doctor came out and has referred him to LADS (Lanarkshire Autism Diagnostic Service) - but they won't see him until he's 4+ :-/ what does that mean exactly? Does he have an unofficial diagnosis or what? Why so long??

The official diagnosis will be on paper hun so its not been done yet. We had the same problem.My son was referred at 2yrs 9mths but didnt see the autism team until he was nearly 5. He did have 6mths reviews with a doctor until then and remember you can still get help for him without diagnosis x

If you can afford it you could always go private but this will cost you about £900 at least in Bristol. If I recall they have a big waiting list but only a small assessment place as here they like to monitor the children for a few days a week. My son was referred at 2 and was diagnosed just after he was 3 due to social workers get involved so it got speed up. My ex said I was abusing my son as he wanted full custody to him so had to take it seriously.

The National autistic society has a list of private assessors but it can be pricy (worth it though) x

I will take a look. I spoke to a lady with 2 autistic sons who does a lot of charity work for autism etc.. She thinks it was just a brush off as the Doc that came out specifically said "he certainly has autistic difficulties" - She thinks to wait until he is 4/5 could be bad because his social skills are developing so rapidly right now.. I think she's right tbh, the longer this takes the less chance of a decent longterm prognosis I think.

And to be honest, the help that has been put in place has been as much use as a bullet in the head tbh. I'm really struggling with him, particularly atm because he refuses to do anything, won't eat anything etc etc. I'm at my wits end tbh. I know it's not his fault but this is having a detrimental effect on me too, the doc has given me valium to try and calm my anxiety about it all, which isn't working btw. I feel like I'm failing him :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->