Antenatal Classes

MrsE

Reaction score
Anyone going/been to them? What were they like?

We have a class tonight but I really can't be bothered to go, I've read up and have an idea of what to expect.

I don't fancy the idea of introducing yourself to a crowd of strangers and participate in group activities and chats, I'd rather be told what's what and off you toddle.

Sorry if I sound cynical but I didn't get much sleep last night, junior decided to play from 2.30am and I don't finish work until friday but I wanna go to bed :hissy:

Cx

i went to one class and we literally sat around a table and watched a video and that was it. no introducing ourselves, no akward moments, just the video!

See that's what bothers me, what's the point.

I bought a video the other day "Gentle birth techniques" or something like that, it shows you all the graphic detail, I flicked through at 8xzoom because it was making me flinch.
Only thing is it's very 80's and one of the women has the hairiest armits you've ever seen, at least it looked like her armpit :rofl:

Cx

i really wanted to go to the classes well with Adele the night before my first class my waters broke :dohh: so was in hospital and didnt get to go to them :(

and when i was pregnant with Colby i didnt have anyone to look after Adele so couldnt go to that either :(

I only wanted to go because it was the only way OH would rub my back :rofl::rofl:

See that's what bothers me, what's the point.

I bought a video the other day "Gentle birth techniques" or something like that, it shows you all the graphic detail, I flicked through at 8xzoom because it was making me flinch.
Only thing is it's very 80's and one of the women has the hairiest armits you've ever seen, at least it looked like her armpit :rofl:

Cx

lol the video we watched was very 80's too!! yes it was very boring i wouldnt suggest going

Ifound them pretty usefull even after having read up on loads myself, they showed us loads of little hints and tips for the day. It was especially usefull for partners who may not be as prepared as we are! They showed them how to massage us during contractions, usefull things for them to do and how they can support us. Talked us though our hospitals procedures for what will happen at the birth and how they do things. Tey even brought in a canister of gas and air for people to try out, the partners loved doing that!

Been going to Antenatal exercise class since early on and they have been v good, mixing a bit of exercise with a common sense chat about anything and everything.

We have parentcraft classes starting in a couple of weeks. One woman at my antenatal went to her parentcraft and they got condensed from 4 weeks to 2 and consisted of watching some dodgy 80s video. At the end of which the midwife said "right, that's how we used to do things then. These are all the things that we no longer do...." :dohh: Plus she freaked her out by telling her to take her baby sleeping bag thingy back to the shop because it was "dangerous".

Ours are supposed to be geared towards multiples, so we'll see how useful they are....

There have been a lot of problems with classes down my way but today I attended an afternoon of Parent Craft they set up for mums 2 be like myself who have missed out on other classes.

I didn't want to go this morning to be honest I have been pretty teary this week and my legs are like balloons but it was worth it in the end and I enjoyed it. Got a lot of info on birth, labour, pain relief, breast feeding, what happens when things go wrong, stuff that is available and how they do things specific to where I will give birth. I personally liked that there were other people there too as they asked questions I had forgotten to ask about or not thought to ask, plus I don't know any one else who is pregnant so it was nice to meet some mums to be of my age and have a chit chat. There wasn't too much in the way of cheesy group play stuff either ;-)

I guess it is a personal decision down to what you feel is right for you but I am very happy I got to go to this session in the end as I feel much more informed now.

I'm glad I didn't bother going to classes, had my midwife home visit yesterday and she explained all about the pain relief, what will happen to my body and what the baby has to do to come out in great detail.
She even said that Labour is called labour for a reason, it's like doing 2 marathons :shock: Told DH he better buy me a nice big pressie after all that :blush:

Cx

LOL i never went and i did ok ...

Not going this time but i might as Gav's idea of labour and labour ward is more frightening than the birth!

xxx

They never appealed to me either, personally I couldn't think of anything worse for me, it is just not my bag! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->