Antenatal depression?? :(

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
I've just come back from my MW appointment and been told that she thinks I may have antenatal depression so I have to go and see the doctor next week :(

I feel a bit silly to be honest as I have never believed in depression and feel that happiness is something that you make yourself, but in the last couple of weeks I've been a bit of a mess.

I started a new job 4 months ago, OH went self employed 3 months ago and now we're having to sell our house and look to rent somewhere, so as you can imagine, it's quite a stressful time anyway without the addition of pregnancy hormones!

I keep worrying myself stupid and am really really snappy with those close to me and I have also been crying at the drop of a hat :(

Last week I cut my hand and cried for a full hour, but didn't feel 'sad'

I've heard that this condition is normally directed at the pregnancy (worrying about being a bad Mum etc), but I don't feel any of that.
Although I do have a constant panicky feeling in the back of my mind that something is going to go wrong.

has anyone else experienced this?
Did the doctor put you on medication (I really don't want this to happen)?
Did it develop into post natal depression??

You've never believed in depression? It's a chemical imbalance in your brain it's not a made up term because you can't make your own happiness. Sorry for moaning but I have suffered from depression for many years and I try my damn hardest to stay positive and happy.

I think I'd be feeling the same as you if all that stress was going on, not sure it's "antenatal depression" though.

x

Sorry again, if you are suffering from depression the last thing you need is someone moaning at you.
I stopped taking medication when I found out I was pregnant and have been offered it since but refused. I see a psychiatric nurse once a week and psychiatric consultant every 6weeks or so. Try taking omega 3 tablets, I was told by doc these are natural alternative to anti depressants x

I would like to hear what people say about this. Like you, I am constantly worrying something is going to go wrong and it seems to be getting worse, the thoughts consume most of my day and it's starting to get me down. Not really spoke to my MW about it though.

you're not alone hun i'm suffering from ante-natal depression too. It's on my notes and the mw asked if she can put a note on the system so that it alerts health visitors and mw's while we're in labour and we should get extra care - not sure how though!

I've been referred to a personal councellor as i've not being getting hardly any sleep for weeks and feel really isolated as my family and friends all live over 100 miles away from us so when we get home it'll be just me and DH and the baby with neither of us having a clue what to do and no help close by!

Both the doctor and mw asked me if I wanted to go on anti-depressants but I was like no way - I don't even like taking paracetomal so I certainly don't want to start relying on pills to feel 'myself' again!

I did find that the councelling session yesterday helped as there was more to it than i'd actually realised!! (sorry for the long reply) :flower:

i had anti natal depression so its very real! i wasnt worried that i knew of about being a bad mum but my depression was bought on by my unstable life before i met my oh ect.

anyway i was offered counciling and took it.
my stupid mw then scared the hell out of me saying if i didnt get better shed put me in hospital on a mother and baby unit so i made out all was fine and canceled my counciling!

well the mw was wrong to tell me this as there was no reason to put me in hospital or on any meds!

if ur offered counciling take it! it can help to talk to someone about anything and everything.....ive always been the sort of person who says i can sort myself out but sometimes u really do need the help on offer.

because i didnt get the help when i needed it, i was then even more depressed after zane was born when he turned 5 months it kicked in. i was a mess and it almost ruined my marriage, if it wasnt for my oh determined to stay with me id of been a single mum then and there.

Try taking omega 3 tablets, I was told by doc these are natural alternative to anti depressants x

Thank you that's really helpful!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude in any way :(

I think I'd be feeling the same as you if all that stress was going on, not sure it's "antenatal depression" though.

x

That's my concern - Is it not just normal stress and crazy hormones?!

i also suffer with depression and its awful to know that there is something wrong but you cant have anything i was on strong meds before finding out i was pregnant with my DS and was taken off them by the docs, i did feel better when my DS was born and havent been on my meds since but i do have that 'feeling' again although i havent told anyone yet :s

Try taking omega 3 tablets, I was told by doc these are natural alternative to anti depressants x

Thank you that's really helpful!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude in any way :(

You weren't, I was! I'm a nippy sweety today, not much sleep lol. It's hard knowing what is normal pregnancy moods and what is worse than that. Keep talking to people and if your not happy about going on ness don't do it. There are only a few than ate safest and it's not to say any of them would even help you.
Exercise, walking especially makes me feel good and a nice bath with no distractions such as hubby watch the tv to loud lol x

Thank you ladies, I will defo take counselling if offered it, but I think tablets will be a big no no for me (although I'm scared that it will progress into post natal if I don't take them) aaarrgghhhh!!

Want to stop being such a stress headed cow as worried my OH will leave me if I don't (this isn't warranted though), it's just one big stress after another! lol

u wont need to go on meds unless u got really bad which i doubt u will.

ur doctor or mw will be able to refer u to ur local mental health centre

I am off work at the moment hun, I have suffered from depression previously and was on meds for roughly 5 years. I decided (with the support of my GP) to come off these when we decided to try for a baby, I did it the right way (i.e. cutting them down before stopping) and felt great initially! Just recently I have been feeling down again and went to a routine mw appointment and just ended up crying when she asked how I was! She went straight round to the GP and booked an appointment for me. We discussed different options at the appointment and decided the meds weren't the best way and has referred me to a councilor. Work have been quite good as well, I had last week off as sick and this week they have let me 'work from home' but I haven't really had a lot to do as i'm a nurse :haha:

I felt really down and completely detached from the pregnancy, I really hated people asking me how I was and just wanted to ignore it. I must say I feel much better now and will be meeting with my boss tomorrow to see where to go from here.

I hope you feel better soon hun, i'm sure that talking to someone i.e. councilor will help, and just remember its not something you cause yourself, its an illness like any other :hugs:

I was suffering from depression when I got pregnant (brough on by the circumstances of my Dad's sudden death) and was on anti-depressants. I agreed with my doctor that it would be best to come off them gradually when I got pregnant and things seemed fine. A couple of months ago things started to seem to get on top of me again but I've been talking to people and also trying to communicate with my OH (who has been absolutely brillliant) and up until now I haven't needed meds - I'm going to keep it this way no matter what as I don't want to take them again whilst pregnant.

I've been told by my doc that there's no reason depression will mean you will definitely get post-natal depression although they will keep a closer eye on you just incase.

Definitely go for the councelling and see how it goes. Hope you feel better soon :)

you're not alone hun i'm suffering from ante-natal depression too. It's on my notes and the mw asked if she can put a note on the system so that it alerts health visitors and mw's while we're in labour and we should get extra care - not sure how though!

I've been referred to a personal councellor as i've not being getting hardly any sleep for weeks and feel really isolated as my family and friends all live over 100 miles away from us so when we get home it'll be just me and DH and the baby with neither of us having a clue what to do and no help close by!

Both the doctor and mw asked me if I wanted to go on anti-depressants but I was like no way - I don't even like taking paracetomal so I certainly don't want to start relying on pills to feel 'myself' again!

I did find that the councelling session yesterday helped as there was more to it than i'd actually realised!! (sorry for the long reply) :flower:

I went thru similar as this lady but I got PND after birth of my son and it was in result of my past life has messed up badly, but I didnt believe it at first while I was over-protecting my son and thinks everything went wrong. The docs has put me on anti-depressants tablets and I took it for couple of weeks and having bad side effects from it by bringing bad memories back and I decided to stop taking it. My hubby believed that I took it just to do kick-start on me and I feel all fine.

But MW/docs will keep eye on you to ensure you are ok and you are receiving any cares from them as well.

Xxxx

Has anyone not suffered with depression at all before, and always found it very easy to cope with things etc but only now are they getting these feelings? So it's completely pregnancy hormones related?

I know that it's more likely in those that have suffered previously but just wondered if there's anyone else like me out there who hasn't

To be honest, I'd be a right mess if I was going through what you are. Depression is very real and you can't just cheer yourself up but being sad and anxious when life is very stressful is also very normal and not the same as depression. I'd try to go and see someone who you can talk to - it sounds like you could really do with that. I am not belittling what you're going through at all - you must feel awful - but labelling it as ante-natal depression may not be helpful.

You've never believed in depression? It's a chemical imbalance in your brain it's not a made up term because you can't make your own happiness. Sorry for moaning but I have suffered from depression for many years and I try my damn hardest to stay positive and happy.

Hi Johns Girl, not to be nasty either, I am glad you put this.. I too was a little stunned to hear people don't believe in depression.. It's not something make believe.. Gosh if only it were.. I too suffered for most of my life with depression and realise now that it is just an on going battle I have to live with.. It's tough at times, real tough..

Just want to add tho little mum I know you weren't being rude either xxx I hope you feel more up beat soon.. I'm sure you will.. It's a viscious circle at times.. Once you think it could be depression that then raises your anxiety and increases worry.. Just take a deep breathe and each day as it comes you will be fine.. I used to dwell far too much on the bad days but found that if I just allow them and accept my mood and don't hold it against myself, that the mood soon shifts xx a great book to read is the Sedona method by hale dwoskin xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->