Anti-sickness meds and drowsiness

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Anyone on here on meds that are making them sleepy? I was diagnosed with hyperemesis and am on a few different things, one I take 3 times a day (cyclizine) and I fell asleep at least 4 times during the day on the weekend.

It is really helping me to keep water down and a bit of food too, so I'm happy to take it, but I can't keep falling asleep unless my OH is home and can watch the kids.

is there an adjustment period? I also feel ever so slightly "buzzy" on this stuff, like it's lifting my mood or I've had a glass of wine. I had something intravenously on Friday and felt as drunk as hell!

I only had mild nausea with my other kids so this is all new to me.

With Diclectin it took about 5 days for the extreme drowsiness to fade. Within a week I could function again...still drowsy some days but overall it definitely improved.

I have just stopped taking cyclizine. I waa always so tired i was on it for a few weeks. The only way round it for me was to go to bed at 8 30pm everynight kust to get my sleep in. But still when my daughter had a nap at lunchtime i would normally end up asleep on sofa .

Minties I'm totally with you. I took it with dd, managed a week on it before symptoms eased enough that I could keep some fluids down and then I came straight off. It kept me alive during the worst period but I simply couldn't function on it.

I took it when I was about 8 weeks and I honestly think the effects were worse than my all day sickness and nausea. I was so tired I couldn't move, it was sheer exhaustion. I took been sick 5-10 times a day over the feeling they gave me!!

It's so unfortunate you done have diclectin available to you all :(

I'm glad it's not just me then, my OH thought I was being dramatic! Pregnancy is already tiring enough.

I stopped taking Cyclizine as it didn't agree with me but I like metoclopramide which I take early in the morning (4/5am) then if i manage to sleep briefly until 6ish when Micah wakes I can function until it eases after lunch. Then I take one at night before bed.

No...I have been wearing sea bands.. I haven't had an issue with throwing up, but I have had severe nausea all day..the bands have not alleviate my symptoms, but I feel 85% better.. i can snack n eat.. great investment and safe. #walgreens

No...I have been wearing sea bands.. I haven't had an issue with throwing up, but I have had severe nausea all day..the bands have not alleviate my symptoms, but I feel 85% better.. i can snack n eat.. great investment and safe. #walgreens

Unfortunately, sea bands do not work with hyperemesis, I can 100% say that with certainty. Anti sickness meds are safe, ok they cannot do medical trials, but the possible side effects are small compared to what the health implications are for both mother and child if they are left untreated.

It's great that the sea bands work for you, they do work wonders for people with regular morning sickness :)

To the OP - I found that cyclezine made me drowsy for a week or so when I had to take it when I had hypermesis whilst I was pregnant with my daughter. It then started to give me horrendous headaches, so I got put on metaclopramide which worked well for a few weeks then stopped working. I was then put on a combination of both of them after my second hospital admission for IV fluids and anti sickness meds, but they only worked for a little while. I then got put on promethazine which made me fee horrendously stoned but didn't stop me being sick. Finally, at 17 weeks during my final admission to hospital, I got put on ondansetron which was a god send and was the only med that enabled me to function like a human being! I hope your hyperemesis isn't too horrendous and eases soon, you have my up most sympathy, it was the most awful experience of my life and I never felt so ill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->