Antibiotic resistant GBS Anyone?? I can't be the only one dealing with this!!!!!

pinkpassion

3dd/5inHeaven/familycomplete
Reaction score
So with dd1 I was group B strep. I had a crappy OB, I had no idea of anything about it. She did two sweeps on me which is a big no no..

Fast forward I've been with a new OB for before this pregnancy. It was found in a routine urine culture at 8 weeks that Group B strep cultured High over 10,000 (whatever units they measure in). So I was started on Antibiotics. Didn't think anything of it really except that my dr explained when it's found in your urine you are considered high colonized and with levels that high it puts you at a higher risk for complications (kidney infections, preterm labor and even stillbirth). Well, once again at 16 weeks my urine again cultured high over 10,000. I was put on a different antibiotic every 6 hours for 10 days. Thought that was all good and well except that when it came time to recheck it I started having issues with contractions and such so they checked it again and it's even higher now, over 15,000. So my dr sent off a test for sensitivity to see exactly what antibiotic with take care of this group b strep strain. We are still waiting on 2 more antibiotics, but so far it's come back as resistant to the rest. And she said with no safe antibiotic options I'll have to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics to get this gone. Especially with the risks to baby increased!

So I'm waiting on them to call and tell me what those last two come back as and if I'll have to go to the hospital and how long it will be fore. I'm not sure how long a course of IV antibiotics is for, is it the same as oral 7-10 days?! ugh, that seems daunting...

Anyway.. Anyone else dealing with this??

She's also agreed it's best for me to start some natural therapies as well, so I've recently started:
cranberry pills
garlic oil pills
Apple cider vinegar
and sits baths with very diluted apple cider vinegar!

I've tried googling and can't find a single thing about anyone else going through this!!! I'm feeling so alone and a little worried!! I know a girl who lost her 28 weeker to chorio infection from group B strep so it just hits a little too close to home!!!

Not quite the same but i had appenicitis with my first the risk.of surgery was too high so they wanted to try aggressive antibiotics first i was in hospital on IV for 8 days the antibiotics did work thankfully. Some hospitals will allow you to go home with the iv but you have to back every 12 hours for your next dose

No experience but didn't want to R n R. In the UK pregnant women are not screened for GBS, it would only be known that you have it if it was picked up when testing for something else.

So sorry you are going through this. I had high GBS found in a routine urine sample as well, around the same time. Thankfully I was lucky to have a few antibiotic options and the first one seems to have cleared it up, although I also used some home remedies so I can't say for certain. When I was researching things to do at home, I found the following, additionally to what you're doing already:
- raw garlic, crushed and taken orally (disgusting but very good apparently)
- salt baths
- high dose vitamin c (CHECK IF THIS IS SAFE IN PREGNANCY!)

I hope it clears up for you and you're spared the IV!

Thank you AmyG.. I did see those things as well but my dr is only comfortable with the garlic oil pills because it's a pretty high dose and can have an affect on the blood clotting and I'm already on blood thinners because of my other losses. I did forget to mention the cranberry has 1000mg vitamin C so I have that covered because along with my prenatal I get about 2,000+ mg a day split up across 2 doses so my body will absorb what I need and hopefully excreet the rest.

I'll add in the salt baths, but I wonder if it would be similar acting to the apply cider vinegar sits baths. Maybe I can alternate them!!

Thank you so much for all this information!! I just so regret not starting it all sooner at that first diagnosis!

I had it found in urine and swab with my first born. No antibiotics until labour (and I had constant utis through all three of my pregnancies). When I went into labour I was given iv antibiotics every 4 hours until baby was born. Second was a section so they weren't needed and third he had to have iv antibiotics as my swab results didn't come back till after he was born (prem) and he had been effected by it at birth x

Wow this is interesting for me to read! I had group b strep with my first and had 4 sweeps! I didn't realise they weren't meant to. I'm pregnant with my second and haven't been tested for it. They just said I'll be on antibiotics throughout labour again no matter what the test results so there's no point. I've literally just got out of hospital with a kidney infection!! I didn't realise there was a link between them both. I had IV antibiotics for 24 hours and I've been sent home with tablets for another 10 days. Never been in so much pain in all my life! I hope you get some answers x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->