Any big momma's out there?

i have my midwife apointment tues! im so scared shes goin to go on about my weight and make me feel so bad and depressed im dreading it i should be happy im goin to see her etc but im shiting bricks lol x

im also worried that somethign might happen :( its hard to kick that feeling sopecially with previous mc so im size 16/18 and worrie it will be my weight that made me mc and it wil happen again .. x

Hi

I'm no doctor but I don't think your weight was a factor; I was reading research (I think it may have been done by uni of Manchester actually) that said being seriously underweight was more of a miscarriage risk; being very overweight/obese is a risk factor too but only with BMIs of over 37, don't beat yourself up about it. I had a miscarriage when I weighed only 10 stone and had a BMI of 21 or 22, and I had a MMC in September but both the sonographer and the consultant I spoke to said they were almost certain my weight was NOT a factor in what happened. I don't want to seem like I am in denial but with any statistics you read regarding larger women and pregnancy; it is only saying there is an increased risk of certain things and not that x, y and z will definitely happen if you're a larger mum, sometimes when you look at the research the actual increase in risk is pretty small considering the fuss the media and certain areas of the health profession make over it.

Bottom line is, I know many larger women including moi who have had successful home births (and their midwife and GP were perfectly satisfied that a homebirth was a safe option for them), never been referred to consultant care or considered high risk, never had high blood pressure, never had any problems with their scans, never needed a caesarean/forceps etc etc. I know one relative of my husband who needed a caesarean with both her daughters due to her weight (and she was very very large, she has lost weight now but her dress size was around a 34), then again another relative is a size 8-10, developed gestational diabetes and needed a caesarean twice because her babies were around the 13lb mark and born with high sugar levels, had complications with haemorraging afterwards and her scar ruptured, after this happened twice they are only just now considering it was probably gestational diabetes that caused a lot of her problems because they were blindsided by the fact she is very slim.

Sophie

i have my midwife apointment tues! im so scared shes goin to go on about my weight and make me feel so bad and depressed im dreading it i should be happy im goin to see her etc but im shiting bricks lol x

I have my GP appointment tomorrow so will let you know how it goes; the midwife team in my old area thought my weight was fine and never made an issue of it, in fact they used to knock a couple of points off my BMI in my notes as they didn't want anyone reading it to consider me as high risk not knowing me personally and my height and build et al. But no experience with the ones locally and am worried how they will be. I'm hoping since this is kind of a twee area with a lot of interest in alternative medicine and alternative birthing practices including home birth that they may be a bit more relaxed and open-minded; but will really have to see...

Hi Id like to be buddies...Im overweight or obese re bmi. Im size 20 top...18 bottom. 5'3.
Ive not been eating much due to all day nausea, not drinking and doing some walking but feel like my stomach and belly are huge!!!!!!!!! Bloat and water I suppose. Cant wait to show properly so I feel pg and not just wobbly belly. Hubby said he can see the change in my shape already....anyone else showing yet??????/

Me too! Im a size 24 and was for my first child too.

I did develop gestational diabetes and know its on the cards this time, I have to go for my glucose test in 3 weeks. I was induced at 38 weeks because of it but I still had a easy birth.

I had a very easy pregnancy, none of the usual pregnancy complaints of backache, swollen ankles etc. Im all honesty Im sure its because my body was used to dealing with the extra weight.

Last time I only came across one doctor that was rude about my weight and she will be in trouble if I see her again this time :haha:

Last time I only put on 7kg, Ive put on a fair bit already but Ive been constantly hungry recently. Hoping to knock that on the head in the next few weeks though.

BTW, Simply be do large size maternity wear. I bought some trousers in a 22 off ebay and they have loads of growing room so it may well be worth going down a size in their stuff.

Where to start. My name is MumOfPlenty and I'm a big momma! :lol:
I'm 5'7". My usual, comfortable weight is around 16 1/2 - 17 stone. I weighed in at 18 stone two weeks ago, but then that would have been 10 weeks(ish) into pregnancy.. I usually lose weight in the first few months of being pregnant but this time that just hasn't happened.. I'm 18 stone and this means my bmi is 39.

Last pregnancy, my BMI was 36-37, and not a concern. The midwife I had then miscalculated it to something like 42 and telephoned me saying that I needed a consultant and all sorts.. And then after I corrected her said it was fine and I wouldn't need any 'special' treatment. :wacko:

This time round it's a totally different midwife, when she took my weight etc at my booking in she didn't bat an eyelid when I told her how much I weighed, nor did she write anything on my notes. But it's still very early days yet, I see her again in a week, so will see if she mentions consultants or anything like that then.. I do hope not. I've done this 4 times before, and it's been pretty plain sailing each time. She seems to have her head screwed on though and not be too giddy so fingers crossed they'll leave me to get on with it!

Welcome and congrats to all the other big mommas ;)

Hello!

i have been looking for information on this for ages as i was worried too!

i am currently a size 18-20 BMI 33 and 5ft 10. got married in Aug 09 and got down to 14st 4 for my wedding but went back up to 16st 7 after. I decided to get fit again and started doing 4 aerobics classes a week but also came off the pill thinking it would take months to get pregnant (especially as me and hubby do not have the most rampant sex life). Well after trying once and 2 weeks later i was pregnant! OMG! shocked but very happy. But was left heavier than i wanted to be.

I am currently 9.5 weeks and due 11th December. given up aerobics but now just doing yoga and swimming

Since being pregnant i have lost 6lbs not because i have felt sick, but i have totally lost my appetite. I do get hungry but i get so full after a few mouthfulls and i have totally gone off chocolate. making the most of it as i'm sure that will go out the window soon.

bit concerned as i went to the doctor over 2 weeks ago to confirm and not heard anything else from midwife or about scans or bloodtests so hopefully i will hear this week.

Nice to see there are women in same situation as me as so far i have read just bad stuff about being overweight.

i am obese. I worry that I will be judged. Last pregnancy I was not allowed to deliver in my hometown hospital as they have a policy that over a certain BMI you cant deliver there as the epidural guy is afraid because of the fat he wouldnt be able to do a good job in an emergency.

This time I didn't even bother having the humiliation of them telling me that and just asked to be reffered to the next town right away.

After I have this baby I really want to loose this weight and get in shape so I have more energy for my children but I worry that I have said that so many times before

So glad this thread is here. Im a size 20/22 as well. I also have hi blood pressure which we will have to monitor closely. Last week I did the 24 hour urine collection (pain in the butt in the middle of the night by the way) to see if my kidneys are working properly and give a base line for my BP later if there are problems. At first I was freaked out about because of the things I read about it, but at some point I had to stop reading the bad stuff and move on...it especially comforting when my dr. said all would be ok and was supportive!

I think to be honest all of this 'bad stuff' we read about being bigger is the extreme end of the scale..

I've always been a big lass, I did once lose weight enough to get down to 14 stone and I was skin and bone, there was nothin else there!
So now I'm happy at 16-17st, maybe a bit soft round the edges, but there's nowt wrong with that..

I've delivered four babies, one of them at home, one who was supposed to be born at home but due to an extremely lax midwife ended in an emergency hospital dash, and one that would have been born at home except we didn't have a home at the time! I had no problems, no tearing, managed to stay active and well and was sent home within hours of the birth each time..

I'm now 1 stone heavier and apparently because of this, my body is going to panic and change the way it does things this time round? I don't think so. There's far too many scare stories out there, and being the numptys we are, we read them all and worry even more!

I think the whole BMI thing is totally overrated, when there was nothing of me, at 14st, I was still overweight according to it..

I think my bones weigh more than most skinny people! :rofl:

Yes, I know - it's not the bones I should worry about, it's the meat and gravy on them, but hey - I'm allowed to eat what I want, I'm pregnant! :lol:

I think to be honest all of this 'bad stuff' we read about being bigger is the extreme end of the scale..

I've always been a big lass, I did once lose weight enough to get down to 14 stone and I was skin and bone, there was nothin else there!
So now I'm happy at 16-17st, maybe a bit soft round the edges, but there's nowt wrong with that..

I've delivered four babies, one of them at home, one who was supposed to be born at home but due to an extremely lax midwife ended in an emergency hospital dash, and one that would have been born at home except we didn't have a home at the time! I had no problems, no tearing, managed to stay active and well and was sent home within hours of the birth each time..

I'm now 1 stone heavier and apparently because of this, my body is going to panic and change the way it does things this time round? I don't think so. There's far too many scare stories out there, and being the numptys we are, we read them all and worry even more!

I think the whole BMI thing is totally overrated, when there was nothing of me, at 14st, I was still overweight according to it..

Yes, I know - it's not the bones I should worry about, it's the meat and gravy on them, but hey - I'm allowed to eat what I want, I'm pregnant! :lol:

Im the same, i look at pictures of me when i was a size 16 on the bottom and allthough i was still a 16, i was soooo skiny. I weighed about 13 stone

its lovely to feel your not alone.. im scared ill be judge like im the only over weight person that ever had a baby lol.. midwife is gona lecture me about my weight and im depressed about it as it is i was loosen weight ttc but i got pregnant so what can i do :( x

I've always been 'well built' a couple of years ago I went on a diet - Lighterlife and lost 3st in 3 months. Took me down to just under 12st, according to the drs my ideal weight should be 11.5st.

At first it felt good to feel 'thin' BUT I looked ill, my face was gaunt, ribs stuck out, my arse disappeared, and as for my boobs......flaps of skin was all I was left with. Needless to say I got depressed over being that way so put the weight back on.

My OH loves me for me, I feel more like a women, so these bloody BMI charts can go and take a running jump off the nearest cliff:happydance:

Wow ladies I can't believe the response to this. You are all fabulous and it's great that you are sharing your stories - thank you so much.

I haven't had a response from Wobbles yet but as soon as I hear anything I will post it on here.

I have my doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous at what she is going to say about my weight. Last time I weighed myself I was about 19.5 stone but I know I have put a bit on in the last couple of months - daren't weigh myself though! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

Love to all the Big Momma's

xxxxx

Hi

I had my Dr app today we just went through a few things as Im under consultant care not for my weight Ill just add,lol and Ive been referred to my consultant to put me on her pregnancy records but nothing was mentioned about my weight and he's booked me in with a midwife on the 25th May so Ill have to see if she says anything to me

Well, I actualy had to bring my weight up to my dr. when I told her we were thinking about TTC and she said...no problem. That its easier on your body if you are smaller, but ultimately its our choice. The extra weight would not be a factor to having a healthy baby or concieving. There are complications with any random pregnancys, not just over weight mammas like us :)

Hi

I had my doctors appointment today and was apprehensive; but she was really nice and didn't even mention my weight, she said as I had had three normal deliveries including a home birth I am obviously 'fit and healthy', she also put down my preference for a home birth again and booked me in with the further away hospital (the one which was so nice and supportive when I had my MMC, not the local dive) as she said the local one doesn't deal with home births; and then I filled in the referral for the midwife and she said they will contact me in a couple of weeks. She did say that they actually do early ultrasound scans at the GP surgery for £50 which pricewise isn't bad but she said to think about it as there is no increased risk of the same happening again but it would just be for my own reassurance if preferred.

Mumofplenty I am exactly the same; always been big-boned; when I weighed 10 stone I was still a size 14 in shops with generous sizing such as Wallis etc; shops with ranges aimed more at teenagers I was still often a 16 or even 18, yet when my elder sis weighs 14 stone she is only a size 14 its so unfair lol; I can't work it out! People always think I am a much smaller size than I actually am though; I went to a clothes swap party once and this lady was trying to get me to take her size 12 stuff she was blown away when I said I am a minimum 18 but a 22 in most shops. I do think BMI is b*****ks they say 'ooh its new and better than the old height to weight ratio charts but I see little difference; BMI doesn't take into account body fat and some people who are a size 10 are actually obese based on their body fat ratio; I went on one of those monitor things once and I was only 2 percent above the ideal for a woman. I read in this baby magazine a while ago in response to a letter from a slightly overweight woman that they don't allow overweight women and especially not anyone with a BMI over 30 to have a home birth or birth in a birthing centre; um thats news to me!

Soph x

Girls who have had scans, did your extra padding affect your scans?

Iv got mine tomorrow and iv read it can make things harder to see

Oh n Mum of Plenty I am originally from Manchester too; I find up there its very common for women to be big-boned; tall and strong, how many of those stories you read in the paper about babies being born suddenly at home within 30 minutes are from Manchester or Yorkshire and so often it is bigger ladies, my husband always says 'boy these Northern ladies are strong I wouldn't want to mess with them'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->