Any big momma's out there?

bigbetty

Mammam to a princess
Reaction score
Hi! I am what doctors term "clinically obese" and just discovered a couple of days ago that I am expecting my first. Only about 4wks gone so still early days.

Are there any other "larger" mums-to-be out there that would like to become buddies so we can compare notes?

To be honest although I am so excited, I'm also pretty scared as I have no idea what to expect :wacko:

Hi Ladies! Please feel free to join us if you are wtt, ttc, pregnant or already a mummy - anyone is welcome xxx

I am very big (eugh hate writing that), really should have lost weight prior to conceiving but hey too late now.

I'm due on 31 Dec (by my calculations) and not seen Dr or midwife yet.

When are you due?

I was classed as obese but I was losing weight for my wedding doing the cambridge diet, which is a liquid diet, had to stop when I found out I was pregnant, so now i'm classed as overweight...which I was quite pleased about. Never thought I would be pleased about calling myself overweight. :)

Best of luck to you, I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

I am very big (eugh hate writing that), really should have lost weight prior to conceiving but hey too late now.

I'm due on 31 Dec (by my calculations) and not seen Dr or midwife yet.

When are you due?

I am due around the 11th January - which happens to be my birthday!

I have tried so many times to lose weight, but it always piles back on again. Hasn't stopped me conceiving though so something must be right! I have booked an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday morning so just have to wait and see what she says about how my weight will affect things!

Just praying that the little bean sticks now [-o<

I was classed as obese but I was losing weight for my wedding doing the cambridge diet, which is a liquid diet, had to stop when I found out I was pregnant, so now i'm classed as overweight...which I was quite pleased about. Never thought I would be pleased about calling myself overweight. :)

Best of luck to you, I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

I had a friend who lost a lot of weight on the cambridge diet. I wish I had the will power to stick with something long enough! You must be so proud of yourself.

Good luck to you too :flower:

Im plus size, So far i dont seem to have put on any weight so fingers crossed i wont put any on apart from baby

I'm a plus size.... I'm size 22 and 5'2". I'm not happy bout it but not a lot I can do right now. I had lost 16lbs before I got preg. I've very OBESE :( I weigh over 17st :( I hate to admit that but I know I'm not alone in the big mommas club :) I'm up for being buddies :) I don't wanna feel alone here at all. I'm 12 weeks today.

Im a size 22 too Jodi but im a fair bit taller than you at 5"9.

Has anyone had anything said about there weight from there midwife?

I am cuddly...the one thing that really really gets to me is seeing splashed all over my maternity notes 'high BMI'...it drives me crazy!!

There are people out there that are bigger than me that have healthy babies...my body managed to conceive perfectly well on the first month of actively trying, so I have faith in it.

The downside of being bigger is the glucose tolerance tests...I had my first last week at 14 weeks, and will have another at 28 weeks.

The only comment my midwife has made on my weight is 'we will have to make sure we use a large blood pressure cuff on you'...LOL

Iv got to have one GTT at 24 weeks and see the consultant

Well thank you for all your responses ladies, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I am actually a size 26-28 and 5'7" but am trying to stay optimistic.

I was on the depo injection for about 4 and a half years and every 3 months my nurse would ask me excitedly whether we were ready to start trying and only vaguely mentioned that I should try to lose weight to help me conceive. She didn't seem overly concerned that it would affect me cos I'm pretty healthy overall and have never had high blood pressure.

Jodi - it would be great to be buddies x

Fingers crossed for us all x

hiya im 5ft 6 and a size 26 so can i jon the big mummys club :) when i had archie they put hih bmi on my notes and out that my scan were difficult basically because i was fat

i had no pregnancy problems though and a very easy 1 hour labour and birth

Hi! I am what doctors term "clinically obese" and just discovered a couple of days ago that I am expecting my first. Only about 4wks gone so still early days.

Are there any other "larger" mums-to-be out there that would like to become buddies so we can compare notes?

To be honest although I am so excited, I'm also pretty scared as I have no idea what to expect :wacko:

Hi, nice to meet you. i'm Caryl and I am enormous! lol. This pregnancy was rather unplanned - had just got a place in the marathon next year and was planning to lose a lot of weight, get a lot fitter and raise a lot of money over the next year!!! Oh well, instead I think I will get a lot fatter, gain a bit of weight and spend a lot of money instead :happydance:

There are lots of media rubbish about being a big momma. Im not going to say it was a walk in the park, but a lot of skinny women I know suffered a heck of a lot more throughout their pregnancies!!!! My blood pressure dropped during pregnancy rather than went up, I had no gestational diabetes despite being sent for tests about 8 times. I had to be under consultant care due to BMI, but each time I went the Consultant would look through my notes and kind of give me "so why are you here exactly" then we would rearrange for a few more weeks and repeat the same!!! So apart from the "normal" aches and pains I didnt really have any major complications. Oh and I managed to lose a few stone too thanks to mega morning sickness!!!

Look forward to chatting - I am also "just" pregnant - due 14th jan so am 4+2 apparently!!! Eeekkkkkk

When I met my midwife for the 1st time I spoke to her about my weight. I got all emotional and starting crying. She was very lovely and wasn't at all concerned with my weight. She didn't advice me to try to lose weight while preg and said just enjoy your pregnancy as it's a blessing. She said if anyone out there thinks different of you tell them to F off!! i thought that was funny. She wrote in my notes that I was a bit upset but was reassured. I will be tested for gestational diabetes at 28 weeks though and I can't have a water birth... but other than that the midwife says I seem full of energy and healthy. Being over weight and pregnant was really worrying me as I thought I might get told off by doctors and stuff.

This stuff about a water birth is crap. NHS staff usualy have a no lifting policy so its your birth partners who need lift you out of the pool. Im bloody sure that between my OH and my mam they could get me out of the pool.

Thats why im having a homebirth lol

Hi

I'm a big momma; I have a BMI of around 32. In every pregnancy I lose about 2 stone; the one where I had the MMC included, but at the moment I am just under or just over 15st depending on which scales I use, I was nearly 17 stone at one point but I lost some of it in the last pregnancy where I had the MMC; since then I haven't really gained any weight back. I am a bit worried as I moved to a new area and I am worried the midwives will judge and stereotype me due to my weight and class me as higher risk when I am not. In all my pregnancies I started off between 14 and 15 stone, I did have heavier bleeding after I had my middle son but that was due to a large placental site at least thats what the midwives said; I haven't had that problem in any other pregnancy and my last one was a home birth. I always have low blood pressure in my pregnancies; not high, never had gestational diabetes (though they try to insinuate I may be because I have 9lb+ babies; although my mum always had babies around that weight even when she was a size 6!) or any problems with them scanning me either. The midwives in my old area refused to believe I was the weight I said I was, one was trying to guess my weight and was guessing 10 or 11 stone so I was quite chuffed. I do have very skinny toned arms and legs so maybe thats why....

hi girls, can i join??
im just over 5 weeks now, this pregnancy was unexpected, i joined slimming world 10 weeks ago to lose wait to help with ttc, and i was 19stone 7.5lbs when i joined, i am now 17st 10lb, so still a big girl, but i fell pregnant so something is obviously ok. im still worried about my weight i weigh more than i want to. i struggle with my weight and i always have.

im go to continue with slimming world but i put on 2lbs this week :( im hopin its just excessive bloating!! xx

hi girls :) im a plus toooo im a size 16/18 and 5 ft 10 and already had m/c and i do worrie that its because of my weight when i was younger i was a size 22! until i was about 18 and started becomin intrested in goin out and meetin guys droped to a 14 and then found my partner at 21 and went to 16/18 :) i have this kind of hang of loose skin saggy belly lmao i totally am scared its gona look aweful its just skin where i lose my weight but does weight effect your pregnancy? or is it the same as a skinny ladys pregnancy as in the carryin of it? x

Hello to all the big momma's out there! Thank you all for your comments, they have been so reassuring to me. Think we need to ask for a "Big Momma's Club" section of the forum - what do you all think? There seem to be more of us out there than I imagined.

Also a quick question for those of you who have already had babies before - is there anywhere to get reasonably priced plus-sized maternity clothing?

Hello to all the big momma's out there! Thank you all for your comments, they have been so reassuring to me. Think we need to ask for a "Big Momma's Club" section of the forum - what do you all think? There seem to be more of us out there than I imagined.

Also a quick question for those of you who have already had babies before - is there anywhere to get reasonably priced plus-sized maternity clothing?

I think it would be fab if we could have our own big mommas club - that would be awesome!!! I was about a size 22 last time I fell pregnant, and am about a size 24 now so slightly larger! Last time I bought maternity jeans from Next and Dorothy Perkins - they both only went up to a 22 at the time (not sure now) but the sizes were massive so I was in 18's in both! Top wise Im not sure I actually bought any maternity tops, just got lots of long tunic type tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->