Any bookworms out there?

tekkitten

Reaction score
I read allll the time. Every single day.

Has anyone come across pregnancy related books that they enjoy? Either fiction or non-fiction.

I am just reading a book right now called "little earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner. So far its good. There is a non-successful pregnancy in the book, but a few successful ones as well. Its fiction.

Another one of her books is called "then came you", and its a really sweet story. It's about a woman in her 40s who is having a hard time with pregnancy, and she ends up using another girls eggs, and a surrogate. The story chapters follow all three ladies.

In terms of non-fiction, a couple funny ones for the men in our lives. One is called "My boys can swim!" and another is "Commando Dad." Both very cute!

Let's hear some others :)

I've read a couple.

midwives chris bohjalian
Choices - Abigail Reed
After -Amy efaw
Dancing naked ( don't know author)

All kind of sad but any think of any I've read that any really

I read 'Babies in Waiting' by Rosie Fiore last week. I liked it, it was a nice easy read about 3 totally different women and their pregnancies
Xx

I read 'Babies in Waiting' by Rosie Fiore last week. I liked it, it was a nice easy read about 3 totally different women and their pregnancies
Xx

Was going to say this one. I found the ending a bit dull, but its highly enjoyable.

I will give that one a go!

I also bought what to expect, but I just haven't gotten around to reading much of it. And I'm already half way through lol :)

I read every day too but haven't actually read any pregnancy related books, fiction or non fiction during this pregnancy or with DD....perhaps I should :haha:

I love to read but haven't read any pregnancy related books as of yet!

I love reading and I've just finished The Antenatal Group by Amy Bratley. I also read Babies in Waiting and enjoyed it.

With regards to non fiction the midwife who runs our antenatal class recommended 'what every parent needs to know' by Margot Sunderland however I think it is more about baby's development once born and not pregnancy - I'm currently waiting for my copy to come!

I just ordered babies in waiting, excited to read it :) I'll check out that other book too, maybe once I am closer to my due date.

Keep em coming! I have 8 weeks of work left, then off for more than a year! I am a teacher, so we get summers off ;) I'm going to be spending a lot of my time on the porch reading I think.

*waving hand wildly* Me! Me! I'm a huge bookworm. Right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the quantity of books teetering on counters, desks, our couch, etc. With the pregnancy, I'm devouring everything I can get my hands on to try to understand, plan, and do some laughing, too, so I kind of ransacked the library. :blush:

Per pregnancy books:
Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent This book, which I read years ago and am re-reading now, totally opened up my eyes to the variety of ways in which one can bring a baby into this world, and the need to figure out which one is really right for you, your baby, and your partner. It's beautiful and really celebrates the joy, power, and beauty of birth.

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine It can be hard to find this one in print, but your library may have it, or you can find used copies. It's SO worth it!!! Full of tons of useful, practical advice, written in a way that's so easy to access and full of humor, this book is one of the best, IMHO on pregnancy. I read Vicki's Girlfriend's Guide to weddings, and it helped me, years ago, in the planning of ours. If you like this book, you can read many more in the series as your child grows up. Those are really popular, and easy to find as new books.

The Mommy Docs' Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy and Birth by Yvonne Bohn (and more) : I'm still working through this one, but I'm very impressed, so far. Written by three OB/GYNs who are all moms themselves, it's very accessible, practical, and full of good advice and information.

Funny Books:
Let's Panic about Babies! by Alice Bradley and Eden ? : This book is absolutely hilarious!!!! Even my husband is enjoying the parts I read aloud to him. ;) This makes great fun of the craziness of pregnancy, and the people you meet along the journey. It's taken some of the pressure off of my worries, and made me feel more balanced. Plus, it's made me laugh so hard I've cried, on several occasions.

Not related to pregnancy:

Oh, I ADORE Jennifer Weiner! She's one of my favorite all-time authors. Good in Bed and the sequel, Certain Girls, are my favorites of hers. I couldn't help adoring and relating to the main character in both. SO good!

If you like mysteries and/or historical fiction, you might adore The Hangman's Daughter books as much as I do. They're incredibly intriguing and very hard to put down.

I just finished listening to an audio book version of Size 12 and Ready to Rock: A Heather Wells Mystery by Meg Cabot. It's not great literature, but it was fun and made my car drives more enjoyable.

I'm currently reading Gulp by Mary Roach. I would literally read about poop if Mary wrote about it. She's THAT good. Her nonfiction books make me laugh until I nearly fall off the couch, and they're SO interesting!

I look forward to hearing about other things everyone is reading. This is one of my favorite topics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->