Any Canadians or foreigners living in Canada?

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
My husband wants to emigrate to Canada. I don't hate the idea but I am panicking as I have never even been there or know anyone who does.
So I would love to talk to ppl from/living there

Could you tell what you like/don't like?
Where do you live? What's the weather like?
How cultural and multicultural is your place?
Where would you not live in Canada?
How do you feel about raising your children there?
How's the education? Health system?
How much would you say that you need to live ok-ish?

I know, lots of subjective questions but still, it's be great if you can share with me! many many thanks! :flower:

can't help much as i'm in the UK but i wouldn't mind moving to Canada if i could afford it.

I have a great uncle who lives there and he loves it, says its the best thing he did for his family.

can't help much as i'm in the UK but i wouldn't mind moving to Canada if i could afford it.

I have a great uncle who lives there and he loves it, says its the best thing he did for his family.

thanks!
any idea what is it that he loves so much about it?

I live in alberta:) i personally wouldnt live anywhere else in canada, everywhere else is to expensive! The health care is great, its free, but prescriptions arent, tho you usually have a plan thru work that covers some of it. Our plan covers 80%, as well as dental. The winters can be brutal but you get used to it. I live in a VERY windy city, but hey its the praries! Our area is very multicultural. Housing is expensive. We own and houses around us are 3-4 hundred thousand dollars. I woyld say to do well income would be between 40000-50000 /year. Overall great place to live, just not very exciting!

I live in Vancouver, BC. The weather is pretty bland; the winters are never too cold and it rarely snows, but it rains pretty much year round! This summer was really hot and sunny but it was an exception.

Vancouver is probably the most multicultural place you're going to find in Canada. We have high populations of many different cultures.

I personally wouldn't want to live in the middle prairies (Saskatchewan and Manitoba) as there's not a lot going on, no scenery, and it gets disgustingly cold in the winter. Alberta is in the prairies but it's good; winters are still cold but it's a "busier" province with much more to do and some really beautiful scenery.

I love being able to raise my family here. Education is good and health care is good. Everything is free except for prescriptions and dental, as a PP said, but most jobs will cover a good portion of those.

How much you need to have a decent quality of life really depends on location and your idea of what getting by okay means! Vancouver is very, very expensive. I think if you're looking for affordable housing you're probably going to find the most luck in the Maritimes, but I'm not sure what the job market is like there in comparison.

hmmmm, it is so subjective. im having a hard time answering without either

a) making sweeping generalisations

or

b) writing a 5page essay, lol

ive lived all over canada growing up. spent the last 10ish years in southern ontario in various cities. i would say its probably the most populated area of canada. the winters are milder than most of canada save vancouver island (but there is too much rain there for me to live) here the summers are hot and muggy. theres big cities/shopping/nitelife and theres also alot of nature with the great lakes and the niagara escarpment so lots of hiking and such

healthcare is great.

cost of living - you'll here so many conflicting anecdotes. just from the post on alberta - ive always heard its more expensive out west :shrug: i dont follow real estate enough to comment on housing prices.

I live in Nova Scotia.

I love the people, it's a friendly place. We have gorgeous fall weather. I love being by the ocean. I don't like that it can be difficult to get jobs around here just starting out in the workforce(I'd want to be set up with something before you moved here).

The weather is very variable. We have fairly hot summers, and our winters are cold and snowy, but less so than many other Canadian provinces, as we are right by the ocean. I live in the capital of NS, so Halifax. It isn't really just one city more of a large group of consolidated communities. I live in part of the urban Halifax.

As a whole, NS isn't very multicultural, but where I live (Just outside of Clayton Park, NS- A part of Halifax) is extremely multicultural. We have a number of vibrant immigrant communities, and in our local high school has over 60 languages spoken in it. It really is a diverse and beautiful place to live.
In terms of culture, Nova Scotia has a very cultural backbone. We have strong Scottish roots, and a lot of our language and lives are shaped around the fact that it has been a port city and has strong ties to the ocean and military.

Most likely never in Alberta or much of anywhere out west, only because I hear it is more Americanized and I've grown up watching people move out West for jobs, etc.

Good, It's friendly and I know my son will have a good chance to meet lots of people from lots of different backgrounds.

Education is decent. Health care waits and things seem to be improving over the last couple of years. We have one of the best children's and womens hospitals in the world. Prescriptions and dental for adults does need to be paid for. Health care, hospital stays and dental for children is covered.

It depends on where you live in NS, as it varies considerably. I'd want to be making a minimum of 40k for a family of 3, depending on the region. 60k would be quite safe.

I live in Newfoundland. I have lived in Calgary, Alberta, Toronto, Ontario, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. I will never live anywhere else but Newfoundland. Calgary is super SUPER cold in the winter. Toronto is too busy for my liking but all in all pretty good. Halifax has quite a bit of crime. I wouldn't walk alone at night (but I would in Toronto, and did regularly when I lived there when I was 20)

Newfoundland has very affordable housing (outside of St. John's, and possibly Corner Brook). But, gas (petrol) and groceries are expensive. I live in a very small town and we pay about 100/week on groceries, sometimes more and sometimes less. Gas is usually around 1.40/L lately, although it is less lately.

Newfoundland isn't very multicultural outside of St. John's. Corner Brook is getting more diversity. But, Newfoundland is very rich in culture. Newfoundlanders have strong traditions and a strong sense of identity.

I love it here. I was born and lived in Toronto up until I was 11 years old. I call Newfoundland home. I love the history and culture here.

Like everyone has said health care is free. Prescriptions, dental, physio (etc), and eye care are not. Most employers give you insurance to cover some of the costs.

Education is good, health care is pretty good. I think being in such a small town means we have less access to health care.

I love that we get to raise Finn here. I don't have to worry if he goes out to play (when he is that age), there are tons of children in our area, and there are many opportunities for him. But, because we do live in such a small place we don't have as many options as we would have in a bigger centre. We don't have many cultural things (besides Newfoundland culture) to show him, but we are going to use the resources at hand (books and internet) to teach him.

In our town you can live well making 40,000, I'd say :) But, like I said housing is cheap.

I live in a small town in northern BC and I love it! We moved from the vancouver area because my husband got laid off. There are more jobs in mid and northern BC than in the vancouver area and the cost of living is super low. As a comparison, my house in vancouver was $480,000 which was 3 bedroom and 2 baths. My house where I'm living now is $150,000 and 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, way bigger than my old house. I guess the downside is we're 2 hours from a big city, but we can always make those trips on the weekends to do any shopping. There is still the main street in town with grocery stores, banks, pharmacy, etc. so we don't really need to go out of town.
I guess people have already mentioned the health system.
I love living in a small town with my two little girls (4 and 2 1/2). Its easy to get around to the parks and lake and they just started ballet classes. The winter can be cold, but we love the snow!
Anyways, don't panic! Its always hard when you move to a new place. I was worried I wouldn't meet anyone as I'm not a very talkative person, but I took my girls to a kids program called strongstart where I was able to meet other moms and made quite a few friends.
I haven't been anywhere else in Canada so can't really tell you anything about them.

Sorry, that was kind of long. Good luck finding the right place for you and your family!

Most likely never in Alberta or much of anywhere out west, only because I hear it is more Americanized and I've grown up watching people move out West for jobs, etc.

This! I would not ever move back to Alberta. Stephen Harper (prime minister of Canada) is from Alberta and I HATE their political stance.

I LOVE being Canadian. I would not live anywhere else in the world. (I probably wouldn't live in any other province either, but that is mostly because I don't want to be too far from family).
I appreciate the ease of access to goods and services. I appreciate our education and healthcare system. And the job prospects are pretty good where we are.

We live in rural Ontario - about 45 minutes north of London, ONT.
My Husband grew up in Toronto.
We both prefer living in rural Ontario; however, ALL our university friends moved back to the Greater Toronto Area because they love it.
In Southwestern Ontario, we experience all types of weather. We really do have 4 seasons. It get's hot and humid in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter. We actually enjoy the winter. We love to cross county ski, snowboard, and snowshoe.

Rural Ontario is NOT very multicultural. However, any city/urban centre IS very diverse. Toronto (or the GTA) is the most diverse. While the other urban centres are also very representative.
I also know that there are a plethora of services for new comers in the urban centres.

Please don't take offense if any of you ladies live in these areas...
I would not live in Northern Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta or in any of the Territories. As much as I like winter - I do not love it. And I love the sunshine; and in the winter months, you have limited daylight hours.

I wouldn't want to raise my children in any other place!
Even though we live in rural Ontario, we still have groups and resources available to new moms, moms, dads, babies, toddlers, youth... you get the picture. There is something for everyone - depending on what you're looking for.
It is very safe where we live. Honestly, we don't even lock our doors. I would not hesitate to let my children go to the park by themselves. That's just the community we live in.

The education system is very good where we live. My cousin's son was diagnosed with Autism and he has unlimited resources available to him. We have different school boards to choose from: Public Schools and Catholic Schools (both publicly funded - and available in French Immersion), and there are also private schools (some are Christian private schools). This goes for both elementary and high school.

We have never had issue with the Health System. We have ZERO emergency wait times in my rural area. Wait times vary depending on where you live. I think there are issues in the bigger city centres.

When I was pregnant, I wanted a midwife over an OBGYN, and that service was available to me, covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

This depends on where you live... and how you want to live.
Do you want to own or rent?
Do you want a house with a yard? A Condo? An Apartment? A Townhouse? Etc... Housing prices are crazy in the Greater Toronto Area.
In rural Ontario, you can buy a BIG brick house with a nice size yard for $250,000.
There are a lot of factors to consider... But to be comfortable, not worrying about how much you spend on groceries, clothing, baby supplies - you would need an income of roughly $60,000/year (again, this is based on where we live). Things get more expensive in the city. But you also get paid more in the cities.

Hope this helps!

Oh, I forgot to tell you about Newfoundland weather... we get a LOT of snow. We have beautiful summers. The past 2 summers have been very hot (mid 30's with the humidity), humid, and dry (as in no rain). Winter here is quite long, though. Snow usually starts November/December and goes until March/April. Occasionally we will get a bit of snow in October but it doesn't stick and we can have snow storms into May, but that isn't very common. Winter isn't very cold because we are surrounded by the ocean. The average winter temperature is -6 but in January/February sometimes it gets down to the -20's for about a 2 week stretch.

We live in Vancouver and love it. I feel so blessed to be able to raise my kids here. It is beautiful and full if oppertinity. I think it is very multicultural, embracing the beauty of so many cultures. I do feel it is go- go- go, but I like how you can live just outside the city where it's quieter but still have the city so near. Housing is very expensive. Three quarters of a million will get you a starter home, little yard and going on 100 years old... The further east you go from Vancouver the more buying power you have. We make a decent comfortable combined living of about 220,000$ a year post tax and have saved for years to finally buy a house to raise our family in. We never worry about bills.

It's beautiful here.

We get lots of rain. Warm, short summers and mild winters with snow, but not much and not often! People freak out when it snows - it's kind of funny

We have lots of education options. Private and public. Two great universities and many great colleges.

Healthcare is amazing. You don't really have to ever worry in the event of an emergency or needing to see a doctor. Most employers offer decent extended healthcare, so perceptions and stuff are usually covered 80%... But varies company to company. It doesn't cost to have a baby ( up front anyways, we pay for this luxery through tax!) or if you require surgery, etc. it's not a perfect system but it is pretty stress free unless you don't have extended health and have lots of medical issues - that's where people struggle, ESP those with lower incomes ( the employment opportunities of lower income ofte don't have extended health plans...) and seniors. In this case you will pay a lot of money for other medical expenses until you reach a threshold,then the government will kick in and help you out..... So you can see how it can get expensive if you require regular meds ( think diabetes, blood pressure meds...

thanks so much everyone
i realise it's a subjective subject but still found your answers really helpful
I love how every single one of you loves Canada!

I live in alberta and see nothing bad about our political views.....tho im not so much into politics and ive lived here for twenty plus years:haha:

DH and I are originally from the US, and we've been in Canada for about 3.5 years now (just got permanent residency - yay)! Compared to the US, I like it a lot better here in all ways besides online shopping (shipping is expensive, lol, but it's a small price to pay).

We live in Vancouver. It's rainy, but not too cold. Coming from Southern CA, I like it a lot more, but people think I'm weird for thinking it. I quite like the four seasons though! :D It's beautiful, especially in the autumn. Vancouver is very multicultural, as are a lot of the major cities. We've also lived in Victoria, and it was less so, but still very nice. I am excited to be raising my child here and not in the US.

The education system seems great. I attended major universities in the US and Canada, and my Canadian experiences have been far better. (Well, California has some horrible public education, so this is no surprise.) I have nothing negative to say about the health care system at all. If you come from the US, it will blow you away. I freaked out that I didn't pay a dime for amazing prenatal care. It blew my mind! If you come from the UK, though, it will be very similar.

I've only been in BC so I can't really say where I wouldn't live, but I love both Vancouver and Victoria. I'm not such a fan of the rural areas and I don't think I'd like Alberta, but it really depends on what you like in a city. I don't know how much you'd need to live comfortably either -- that really depends on where you want to live. Vancouver is very pricy, and I hear Toronto is as well if that helps.

We live in Quebec. Although at the moment we are dealing with political tension we love it here. We live in Montreal where most people are trilingual, yet in rural Quebec most people only speak French. The education system is great although immigrants are forced to send their children to French school. The weather can be intimidating as it is very cold in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer. Canada is a very vast country in both culture and space therefore each province has it's own character. Anyone can find their place! Although our health care system needs some attention, like pp have said once you you get a provincial health care card health care is free (paid for by your taxes), and prescriptions and dental are usually covered by health insurance through employment. I feel grateful to be able to raise a child in Canada.

Unfortunately in Quebec we have political tensions dating back to the creation of our Country...
I can't say there is anywhere in Canada I wouldn't live...most Canadians are very proud to be Canadians. We are a country of immigrants so we welcome them with open arms.

We live in Quebec. Although at the moment we are dealing with political tension we love it here. We live in Montreal where most people are trilingual, yet in rural Quebec most people only speak French. The education system is great although immigrants are forced to send their children to French school. The weather can be intimidating as it is very cold in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer. Canada is a very vast country in both culture and space therefore each province has it's own character. Anyone can find their place! Although our health care system needs some attention, like pp have said once you you get a provincial health care card health care is free (paid for by your taxes), and prescriptions and dental are usually covered by health insurance through employment. I feel grateful to be able to raise a child in Canada.

Unfortunately in Quebec we have political tensions dating back to the creation of our Country...
I can't say there is anywhere in Canada I wouldn't live...most Canadians are very proud to be Canadians. We are a country of immigrants so we welcome them with open arms.

ITA (btw we're just on the south shore!)

Politically here, it is a bit uncomfortable if you are not Quebecois. I am pretty well integrated but you will read/hear things that are discriminatory or hurtful. Social services/childcare are excellent and almost free, but being fluent in French is a requirement and partially mandated in law.

I personally love the west, if it wasn't for the price, I'd still be living in British Columbia. Can you share what kind of work you guys would be doing? What sort of budget? This country is very big and if we knew your lifestyle choices/finances, we could give you better info.

PS I know you posted this on the natural parenting forum- BC is very friendly in that manner - high BF rates, nobody stares at you for wearing a baby, that sort of thing.

many thanks again ladies!
it does sound really good

Where are you looking to move in Canada?

my DH is obsessed with British Columbia, but I'd like to keep the options open

I personally love the west, if it wasn't for the price, I'd still be living in British Columbia. Can you share what kind of work you guys would be doing? What sort of budget? This country is very big and if we knew your lifestyle choices/finances, we could give you better info.

PS I know you posted this on the natural parenting forum- BC is very friendly in that manner - high BF rates, nobody stares at you for wearing a baby, that sort of thing.

I am reserach scientist/geneticist and DH is a clinical and educational psichologist. we both have PhDs. I am very low maintenance :winkwink: and don't really need much to feel comfortable. my DH is almost the opposite, as almost everything he likes/enjoys is expensive :dohh: we like the countryside but none of us could live in a rural area. I need cinemas, coffe shops and bookstores. We live in the UK at the moment but we are not from here, I am from Argentina and my husband is Mexican (but lived for many years in the USA). None of us speak French.
ideally I'd be working part-time soI could spend more time with LO but also writing, which is a pending dream

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->