Any Canadians or foreigners living in Canada?

I thought I'd update you ladies - I've been incredibly lucky and managed to get a new job in the UK! :happydance: contract is for 2 years so that will us time to plan and organise things rather than being rushed into it, but im glad I started this post as I got really good advise and made me feel so much better about it all!
So, thanks again! :flower:

Not so true for Quebec though :(

No? :shrug:
(excuse my ignorance!)

No, there are language laws (for example, your kids would not be allowed legally to attend English-language school and possibility college in the future), and right now they're looking to oust any "articles of religion" (aka. muslim headscarves) from public service jobs (including if you own a daycare).

Speak French and be white or gtfo.... it's lovely :dohh: But I promise Canada is great.

I have also lived in several provinces: BC, Ontario, and currently in Alberta.
I would give Alberta one big plug: the job market here is generally excellent. I have never experienced so many interesting and well-paid opportunities. I am in arts (theatre) and env/science education fields. The amount of oil $$ here does really help to fire up the non-profit sector.
And the politics are misleading. Alberta gets represented as conservative, but there are huge numbers of liberals here. I believe we had the highest per capita vote for the federal green party in the election before last. If we had proportional representation, I think the province would come out far more central left.
Anyway, lots of great places, but if the main factor is a good job, I would definitely check out Alberta.
And the winters are not that cold. Honest. :cold:

I have also lived in several provinces: BC, Ontario, and currently in Alberta.
I would give Alberta one big plug: the job market here is generally excellent. I have never experienced so many interesting and well-paid opportunities. I am in arts (theatre) and env/science education fields. The amount of oil $$ here does really help to fire up the non-profit sector.
And the politics are misleading. Alberta gets represented as conservative, but there are huge numbers of liberals here. I believe we had the highest per capita vote for the federal green party in the election before last. If we had proportional representation, I think the province would come out far more central left.
Anyway, lots of great places, but if the main factor is a good job, I would definitely check out Alberta.
And the winters are not that cold. Honest. :cold:

What city in Alberta? There's a program I was thinking of applying to in Calgary, but then I started hearing about AB being pretty conservative and how there are lots of white supremacists in the city so I wrote it off...

I'm in Calgary and have been here for 12 years.
White supremacists?!! :shock: I have never heard of that being a problem here. :shrug: Like any other major Canadian city, we are very multicultural. In fact, our current (and world's best!) mayor is the first Muslim to hold that position in a Cdn. city. Naheed Nenshi is a phenomenol leader and has restored my faith in government! He is definitely centre left and has a huge following here.
I think people get a very weird perception of Calgary - that it is all cowboys and oil barons. Not so. That is part of our history, but there so much more going on here. And as I mentioned before, I have never encountered so much financial support available for various projects. The oil money makes a lot of things possible.

Which program are you thinking about? I may have heard of it and might have some helpful info to pass along. :)

I'm pretty sure they're still talking about two tiered health care there. Not cool :(

I'm in Calgary and have been here for 12 years.
White supremacists?!! :shock: I have never heard of that being a problem here. :shrug: Like any other major Canadian city, we are very multicultural. In fact, our current (and world's best!) mayor is the first Muslim to hold that position in a Cdn. city. Naheed Nenshi is a phenomenol leader and has restored my faith in government! He is definitely centre left and has a huge following here.
I think people get a very weird perception of Calgary - that it is all cowboys and oil barons. Not so. That is part of our history, but there so much more going on here. And as I mentioned before, I have never encountered so much financial support available for various projects. The oil money makes a lot of things possible.

Which program are you thinking about? I may have heard of it and might have some helpful info to pass along. :)

Thanks, that's great to hear! I'm also glad to hear that it's multicultural because Vancouver is very much so as well and I would like to raise my daughter in a multicultural area. :)

I'm thinking of applying to the midwifery program at MRU. It's only been around since 2011 so I'm not sure there would be a huge amount of information on it.

I'm pretty sure they're still talking about two tiered health care there. Not cool :(

Do you mean in Alberta?
Sure, there is a right wing movement that likes to make a lot of noise about it, but any political party in Canada knows that they would get absolutely crushed if they messed with socialized health care and that goes for our provincial system as well.
It comes up in the news here once in awhile and gets debated, but in no way has this been implemented.

Yes, Alberta. I lived in Calgary for almost a year. I will never go back.

Also Stephen Harper comes from Alberta. He's a horrible, horrible man and I can't wait for him to gtfo of office. He's done nothing but cut things from Newfoundland and the other Atlantic provinces and he wants to make Canada more like the states.

Yes, Alberta. I lived in Calgary for almost a year. I will never go back.

Also Stephen Harper comes from Alberta. He's a horrible, horrible man and I can't wait for him to gtfo of office. He's done nothing but cut things from Newfoundland and the other Atlantic provinces and he wants to make Canada more like the states.

Sorry to hear that you weren't happy here. It's been great for us. :shrug:
And judging all of Alberta because of Stephen Harper is a bit sweeping, don't you think? There are lots and lots of people here who do not agree with his politics.
Not to mention that he didn't get into office on Alberta's vote alone. He took plenty of votes from across the country.
Maybe it's possible to respond to the OP without bashing other provinces?

Thanks, that's great to hear! I'm also glad to hear that it's multicultural because Vancouver is very much so as well and I would like to raise my daughter in a multicultural area. :)

I'm thinking of applying to the midwifery program at MRU. It's only been around since 2011 so I'm not sure there would be a huge amount of information on it.

One of the main midwives for the MRU program was part of our midwifery team for our last baby. Amazing woman. Amazing program. We also had the priviledge of meeting a couple of the students working through the program too. :) Good luck in your decisions!!

I don't think I was bashing an entire province, I was just saying the politicians that come out of that province are terrible and, unfortunately, the worst one is running the country right now.

Harper is awful. I wholeheartedly agree! But I guess I am just saying that there is so much more to Alberta than just him, you know?
Canadian women wouldn't have the vote today if it weren't for the Famous Five - all politicians out of Alberta.
They're not all big bad conservatives! :)

I think I'm bitter about politics in general right now. Harper is working his hardest to destroy Newfoundland and take away womens rights and Newfoundland politics has turned into a circus. :(

I didn't like Alberta partly because of the politics when I was there but mostly for the cold and because I missed the ocean. I can't go back, I'm a (transplanted from Ontario) Newfoundlander through and through.

I would kill to live anywhere but QC right now arrrgh it sucks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->