Any Canadians or foreigners living in Canada?

I live an hour outside of Toronto. I love living in Canada but hate the city I live in. I'm bound by the custody order to stay here. I have lived in 5 of the provinces and BC is my favourite.

many thanks again ladies!
it does sound really good

Where are you looking to move in Canada?

my DH is obsessed with British Columbia, but I'd like to keep the options open

I personally love the west, if it wasn't for the price, I'd still be living in British Columbia. Can you share what kind of work you guys would be doing? What sort of budget? This country is very big and if we knew your lifestyle choices/finances, we could give you better info.

PS I know you posted this on the natural parenting forum- BC is very friendly in that manner - high BF rates, nobody stares at you for wearing a baby, that sort of thing.

I am reserach scientist/geneticist and DH is a clinical and educational psichologist. we both have PhDs. I am very low maintenance :winkwink: and don't really need much to feel comfortable. my DH is almost the opposite, as almost everything he likes/enjoys is expensive :dohh: we like the countryside but none of us could live in a rural area. I need cinemas, coffe shops and bookstores. We live in the UK at the moment but we are not from here, I am from Argentina and my husband is Mexican (but lived for many years in the USA). None of us speak French.
ideally I'd be working part-time soI could spend more time with LO but also writing, which is a pending dream

You would both do very well in BC.

I think Vancouver Island would be an excellent match for you both - google Victoria, Sidney, Nanaimo, those sorts of places. Your Spanish would be in high demand, especially your husband b/c there is a decent population of Spanish-speaking children in the education system but probably not qualified as edu psychologist (which is a very high-demand position in the school systems there). Check out UVIC for jobs in your field.

thanks a lot aliss!!

now, does it really rain sooo much around there?
I don't love cold but I have learnt to live with it and I think I'd be ok even with a very cold winter provided I have a good sunny and long summer. But I am not sure I can get used to lots of rain............

thanks a lot aliss!!

now, does it really rain sooo much around there?
I don't love cold but I have learnt to live with it and I think I'd be ok even with a very cold winter provided I have a good sunny and long summer. But I am not sure I can get used to lots of rain............

Not really. It might rain often but it's very light. There's no very cold winter and there's no sunny/long summer. I'd have to say the weather is similar to the UK in that sense. You might also try the Okanagan as it will have the hot weather in the summer - Kelowna, Kamloops.

I lived in Powell River, Downtown Vancouver, and Maple Ridge. Powell River was my favourite.

I think Vancouver Island would be an excellent match for you both - google Victoria, Sidney, Nanaimo, those sorts of places. Your Spanish would be in high demand, especially your husband b/c there is a decent population of Spanish-speaking children in the education system but probably not qualified as edu psychologist (which is a very high-demand position in the school systems there). Check out UVIC for jobs in your field.

I totally agree. Eventually I want to end up back near Victoria on Vancouver Island. It's a beautiful area, and not nearly as urban as Vancouver. UVic is also a nice employer (though UBC and SFU have better benefits).

Vancouver weather is very similar to the UK. I am a Canadian living in the UK and I love Canada and am trying to convince my British partner to move there eventually.

Not really. It might rain often but it's very light. There's no very cold winter and there's no sunny/long summer. I'd have to say the weather is similar to the UK in that sense. You might also try the Okanagan as it will have the hot weather in the summer - Kelowna, Kamloops.

Vancouver weather is very similar to the UK. I am a Canadian living in the UK and I love Canada and am trying to convince my British partner to move there eventually.

oh no! I was hoping to eventually move to a nicer weather! :dohh::haha:

I totally agree. Eventually I want to end up back near Victoria on Vancouver Island. It's a beautiful area, and not nearly as urban as Vancouver. UVic is also a nice employer (though UBC and SFU have better benefits).

In what sense a nice employer?

can I keep asking questions ladies? :blush:

can you tell me a bit more about the education system? my LO is 20months.

In an ideal world we'd be staying here for another couple of years and then move, but we might have to move much earlier if we don't get any jobs soon.
(I can't remember if I said - I posted this thread after learning that both DH and I will be jobless in January :nope: DH freaked out and started to look for jobs in Canada straight away, but we both know that it'd be better/easier if don't rush into it and plan it with more time)

and how about maternity benefits? (might consider a second child at some point, if I am not too old...)

thanks! :flower:

can I keep asking question ladies? :blush:

can you tell me a bit more about the education system? my LO is 20months.

In an ideal world we'd be staying here for another couple of years and then move, but we might have to move much earlier if we don't get any jobs soon.
(I can't remember if I said - I posted this thread after learning that both DH and I will be jobless in January :nope: DH freaked out and started to look for jobs in Canada straight away, but we both know that it'd be better/easier if don't rush into it and plan it with more time)

and how about maternity benefits? (might consider a second child at some point, if I am not too old...)

thanks! :flower:

Maternity leave is quite similar to the UK I think, it's 52 weeks paid once you've worked 600 hours (this was BC in 2010, I don't know if it's changed) - you can take this all by yourself or you can split with your partner (I took 6 months, he took 6 months).

Education system is that most kids are at home from 0-4 or in daycare from 1-4 (SAHM is common in BC) then you start kindergarten at age 5 (half day) and then grades 1-7 at an elementary school (age 6-12) and then grades 8-12 in a high school (age 13-17). Some places have a 'middle school' which splits it into 3 levels instead. You start college/university at 18 (I think in the UK this might be earlier).

If you lived in BC, there are a few fantastic universities and lots of good smaller colleges. I went to SFU (Simon Fraser) which is a lovely school. You might also enjoy smaller communities like Port Moody, which is nearby. But I do think the island suits you well. The Okanagan is a good compromise with the weather - check out UBC and Thompson Rivers University for jobs.

thanks a lot again aliss, lots of information and things to look up! :thumbup:

you said it a couple of times - what is it that makes you think that the island would suit us well? I feel embarrased as I'd never heard of Vancouver Island before :blush:

The island is laid back but still good access to mid-size cities (Victoria, Nanaimo). Good colleges and a university (UVIC), the school system is great, it would suit your simple needs and his needs for things a bit pricier. Lots of coffee shops and writing ;)

Where i live, its 3-5 preschool(half day), 5- kindergarten(half day), grade 1-5 elementary school, 6-8middle or junior high, and 9-12 high school:)

In Newfoundland kindergarten starts the year the child turns 5 so if they turn 5 in January or December they start kindergarten. They have KinderStart the year before when they come in one 1/2 day a month and do activities and try to get them used to coming to school. They are considering making kindergarten full day here. In Halifax kindergarten is already full day. Then primary is 1-3, elementary is 4-6, junior high is 7-9, and high school is 10-12. But, in our tiny town they all go to the same school :)

In what sense a nice employer?

Nice in the sense that they offer good extended benefits and the work environment is generally friendly and casual. UBC has a lot more jobs -- over 20,000 staff and faculty -- and the benefits are fabulous (free dental coverage, vision, and it even covers 80% of acupuncture and massage). UBC gives half tuition waivers for children and spouses, and SFU is 100%. If you're considering jobs at UBC, send me a pm!

I'm currently taking maternity leave in BC and it's really great. As aliss said, it's still 52 weeks paid at 55%, but often an employer will offer SEB benefits and pay up to 95% for a certain amount of time. We're also getting extra money from the government to cover extra expenses associated with a child.

I really love both Victoria and Vancouver. Victoria is a bit more laid back -- people generally drive slower and are friendlier in my experience -- but it's also less culturally diverse. (I f*%in hate driving in Vancouver. HATE.) I would be happy to raise my kid in either location, though, and it's only an hour and a half ferry ride between the two cities.

If tornado like winds are not your thing, youll HATE alberta:rofl: we had 110km/hr winds today!

If tornado like winds are not your thing, youll HATE alberta:rofl: we had 110km/hr winds today!

thanks for the advise, def not my cup of tea!! :haha:

thanks so much ladies for the info and comments :flower:
I will PM at some point Feronia!

I love this thread!!

To me, it summarizes up why I love living in Canada. In Canada, you have the freedom of choice and can find somewhere that fits what you are looking for. Want culture? Hit Montreal. Want to farm and live off-grid? Head to the prairies. Need a warm climate? Settle in Vancouver. Career in IT? Toronto. Slow right down? East Coast. etc. (how's that for sweeping generalizations. lol)

You have the freedom of religion. To choose the best education for your kids (public, private, homeschooling). To be mainstream or natural with your health. To feel safe. To find a community as close to your own ethnicity as you want or to be as diverse as you want. To live as fast-paced or as slowed down as you want to live.

All these people's posts sharing their own experience shows how great and diverse Canada is, and personally, that's why I absolutely Love IT!! Thanks everyone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->