Any clothing suggestions for a newbie?

Kirsty3051

Wife & mum of 3!
Reaction score
Not due for a good while yet but it's time to start shopping for appropriate breastfeeding tops!

I live in the UK so for obvious reasons, simply wearing a vest/tank top is outttt. I did think about pairing a vest top with a blouse for when we're not in the house. Any suggestions for a first time breastfeeder? I really don't like the idea of my baby belly hanging all over the place in the earlier days x

(Shop suggestions too please!)

Mothercare have some clever nursing tops which help with discreet feeding!

I am new to breastfeeding and would definitely recommend a cheap vest top underneath a normal top...I thought the same as you and got some button up blouses...but they reveal a lot more than a normal over the head t-shirt/top unless you undo it from the bottom.

I just got cheap vests from primark that I pull down and a normal pre-preggers top that I pull up, revealing very little. I looked in mothercare at a nursing vest top, it unclips like a nursing bra but it was £16...not worth it in my opinion, but would be useful if you don't mind spending that on a vest.

Good luck :)

Thanks both of you <3.

I ordered some jeans from Mothercare not that long ago and didn't even think to look at their breastfeeding tops!

I think I'll buy half a dozen vests and pair them up with blouses. Hopefully we'll have a good summer so I can just wear dresses. A bit too hopeful I think

I second the cheap vest top under a looser top. I find specific breastfeeding tops to be a faff!

I don't go for shirts/blouses unlessm like pp has mentioned, you were to unbutton from the bottom.

ETA: I wouldn't buy a specific nursing bra until your milk comes in after a few days. I know my boobs changed completely from my pregnancy boobs!

Bump bands are great. I have huge boobs and couldn't manage the pulling up one top and another one down thing but I found wearing a bump band was like having an inside layer, then I just wear my normal tops and pull them up to feed and I'm still covered round my tummy/back/sides by the bump band. I got mine cheap off eBay!

I got 4/5 lovely nursing tops from Mamas and Papas and they have quite a few half price online.

I love V-collar shirts, dresses, etc. Honnestly as long as you can pull the clothing under your breast, you won't have any issue breastfeeding:winkwink:. I would try on the stuff and if it meets this criteria, then I'd buy it. This way I would still be able to get all my clothes in regular store, at a much more lower cost :)

I'm a first timer and don't bother having the top of my boob covered. Like Melfy I just wear whatever I can pull to below my boob xx

I personally find it most easy and discreet if I am wearing a strappy vest top that pulls down with a looser top over it that pulls up. Tops in soft fabrics are easier as they then drape down naturally and keep you covered to a maximum.

I wanted a dress for a wedding recently so bought a specific breastfeeding dress from yummy mummy but they don't come cheap. I also have a normal dress with low cut wrap over neckline that pulls down easily but I have to use a muslin or scarf then to cover up.

I definitely second the belly bands! The cheap vest tops under your t-shirt/jumper/whatever works well too though.

There are some Facebook groups where people sell or trade their nursing clothes really cheaply. I've bought loads of lovely dresses and tops for a bargain!! Also check out mamafeelsgood.com for lovely (albeit expensive) stuff. A lot of nursing brands are boring IMHO but mamafeelsgood is great :thumbup:

I personally like to wear a light loose baggy cardigan, it means I can have as much out or covered as possible n means as a first time breastfeeder I can see what I'm doin then pull it round to cover myself!

I definitely second the belly bands! The cheap vest tops under your t-shirt/jumper/whatever works well too though.

There are some Facebook groups where people sell or trade their nursing clothes really cheaply. I've bought loads of lovely dresses and tops for a bargain!! Also check out mamafeelsgood.com for lovely (albeit expensive) stuff. A lot of nursing brands are boring IMHO but mamafeelsgood is great :thumbup:

Eurgh, I looked at mamafeelsgood! My curiousity is an expensive habit! :blush:

Frugi have a mix of things too - depends on your taste though, some of it is too twee for me.

Eurgh, I looked at mamafeelsgood! My curiousity is an expensive habit! :blush:

Frugi have a mix of things too - depends on your taste though, some of it is too twee for me.

Haha, did you buy some nice stuff? Frugi are only ok. Nursing clothes in general can be so frumpy. Like, just cos we're mums we don't care about looking good? Ok I might have baby puke in my hair and baby poo up to my elbows, but dammit sometimes I just want to wear a nice dress! :D

I don't like anything you pull down (wrap tops etc) as I feel really exposed though prob cos I have comically big boobs. Check eBay for nursing t shirts for cheaper, or the vest or belly band is a good idea.

I hate that I can't wear dresses when BFing, but I bought some lovely kimonos for summer this year which were nice thrown over a tank top and shorts. Will be using them in autumn with jeans too as they're great for BFing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely look in to some of them when baby stops draining off all of my energy xx

I wish I could pull my boob up out of my top, I can't, I have to lift my top up, my boobs are so big and my nipples point to the floor so I have to sit and hold my boob up for her the whole time she's feeding :( Gets tedious after almost 10 months! Hopefully you won't have the same issue! X

I used to wear two tops and I would pull one up and one down so I could feed discretely and it worked really well :flower:

Loads of vest tops around at the moment with stretchy spaghetti straps.

I've got a ton of those in different colours and put them under a normal top.

Ooh great thread, I struggle to find clothes that are suitable for breastfeeding in! I have a few blouse type tops with buttons down the front that I wear with leggings but do feel a bit exposed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->