Any Computer Bods?

LucyS

Reaction score
My pc is so slow, hardly loads up the internet, crashes constantly, the CD Drive itself is broke and now music doesnt even play properly (the sounds distorted).

Looking to buy a new cheap one 2nd hand off ebay, nothing amazing as only used to store photos, browse the internet and Burn Cd's so could I buy almost any one and plug my modem in? How easy is that?

The screen is fine but I dont want to buy just the actual computer bit if it wont comply with the screen? Im such a no-nothing with PC's!

Have seen one on ebay that seems ok and pretty cheap would someone take a look for me? Have no idea what spec my PC now is but its good few years old and would prob cost just as much to fix and cant be doing with that!

And have checked for virus's and cleared all the ones that have come up so think it's generally buggered!

Thanks

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DESKTOP-COMP...363864441&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2

ok your screen will work with any computer, their universal.

the one youve linked to on ebay doesnt burn cds, it has this

Primary Drive: CD ROM & DVD ROM

your looking for a cd/dvd rw (rewriter)

my daughters pc is a similar spec except she has a cd rw in hers, its not amazingly fast but it does the job.

have you ran a system cleanup on your computer?

oh also its not got very much storage on the ebay computer chick, your looking for 40gb harddrive at least i reckon x

Doubt it, how do you do that? And what is it etc? Thanks for your help? Can I put a re writer onto that pc or is it easier to buy one with it already on?

you can buy them, i think their about 20 quid

you would need a bigger harddrive too though as 2 gb isnt a lot

ok im guessing your on xp lol so im raking my brains now.

Click Start >All Programs> Accessories> System Tools > Disk Cleanup

it will take a few mins to calculate stuff then as you to tick boxes to free up space, tick them all then click ok, click ok again when it asks and leave it to do its stuff.

when thats done you should defragment your system, this just frees up more space too so
Click Start >All Programs> Accessories> System Tools > Disk Defragmentor

it will open 2 strips, just click defrag now on the bottom one

this can take a few hours

once this has done giz a shout, and we'll go thru some more ;)
also might be able to sort you a tower out with burner and bigger harddrive already in, my blokes selling his as we have 4 in the house and i want rid x

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110378889153&fromMakeTrack=true

Any good? Thanks for your advice will try that now.. it wont deleted photos etc will it?

no it wont get rid of any phots. When you open a file and close it the computer just puts it back anywhere so it gets slower as it has to find the files. When you defrag your computer it puts files back in the right place so the computer can find it faster.

If you get stuck giz a shout and ill talk you through it.

Thanks,Im gonna need a new one anyway as disc drive is broke but dont want to pay much, have a perfectly fine screen etc but need one that complys with it?

Dont really kno what memoery etc I should be looking for on ebay and how cheap I could get it and how easy is to stick my modem in!

no it just deletes old files that the computer itself doesnt use anymore, old internet pages etc

2.4GHz Processor (how fast your processer is)

512MB Memory (speed your computer will run, the higher this is the better)

CDRW (only burns cd's not dvds)

On-Board Sound, (built in, just plug speakers in)

Network (to plug modem into)

HDD 40gb (amount of storage space you have)

its not bad, for 80, like i said though dont bid yet, oh is due back soon he wants 40 for his with monitor etc so i will check on the speck, might save you a few quid.

But id still have to buy a re writer yeh? How does that work?! Im honestly useless!

lol for me fellas? no it has one in,

for the second link on ebay, it has a cd burner but not a dvd burner so if you wanted to burn dvds then yes you would have to buy another burner, but it was fine for normal cds

Oh I think it was about £100 wasnt it, Id need to know if my screen would go in fine and the modem too!

I really need one asap and it is v.close so could pick up today but do keep me informed on your oh's one.

or this one seems alright too, again no dvd burner but cd burners

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-Very-Nice-...14&_trkparms=72:1690|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it!

2 Cd writers?! Cor! Someone said I might need a converter for my screen for certain PC's? Is this right?

And is it a case of plugging the modem in and going or will I need to set up the internet etc?

Ideally Id love to walk into PC World buy the whole set and have them come fit it but cant afford that just yet!

how does your modem connect to the computer? through usb of like a phone jack thing.

monitors work with all pcs thats not a problem, i doubt your modem would be a problem to be honest, id go for it to be honest since you need it asap, can always buy a dvd burner later and honestly their not hard to fit, can talk you through that.
he has 2 listed, make sure you get the one with the rewriter when you pick it up ;)

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130302790599&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
I cant find where it says about a cd writer? but he has said it can do that?!

Is that a good price?

Isnt 1GB v.slow? Confused! Haha

Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it!

2 Cd writers?! Cor! Someone said I might need a converter for my screen for certain PC's? Is this right?

And is it a case of plugging the modem in and going or will I need to set up the internet etc?

Ideally Id love to walk into PC World buy the whole set and have them come fit it but cant afford that just yet!

i doubt it, like i said i have 5 pcs in this house 3 i built myself and have never had to get a converter

did your modem come with a disk? that should be all you need to install it onto the new computer, internet explorer comes built in
so once your modems set up you should be away

Thanks hun! Just looked at other items and is only coming up that he has that one for sale? And cant find anything other than CD-ROM which isnt anything to do with a re-writer!?

Yeh I just checked and the blue cable from the modem goes in what looks like a USB point that says LAN

Dont think I do have a disc, mum and dad sorted the modem and have never seen a disc for it, damn if it doesnt just work and connect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->