Any moms out there with chronic gastritis?

Tonka106

Reaction score
I have had chronic gastritis since 2007. I was wondering if there are any moms who have it as well. Did you have flare-ups during pregnancy, or did you find being pregnant made it worse? I am absolutely terrified that when I get pregnant, my gastritis will make it a living hell for me! I want to be able to enjoy my pregnancy! Anyone?

Hiya, I've not had chronic gastritis but I did suffer a bout of it once after a bad reaction between medications following an op on my stomach and it was so horrible, I ended up in A+E in the early hours of the morning and thought I was dying the pain was so bad! So I very much sympathise with you, I had no idea it could be so painful. :hugs:

Have you spoken to your doctor about it? When I was at the hospital they told me to not eat for 24 hours and then just have rice for the next day, but it's hard to do that when you're pregnant! I would have thought though that a drug like Lansoprazole which can be taken every day to prevent excess stomach acid could help, your doctor might prescribe that for you if it's getting to be a problem. Nasty tasting tablets (meant to be strawberry flavour, yeah right!) but they do work wonders :) Good luck!

I take omeprazole, it's also a proton pump inhibitor (stops excess stomach acid). It helps, doesn't stop the gastritis but when I have a flare-up it makes the symptoms a lot more bareable! Not sure if I will be able to take it while pregnant though, I'll have to talk to my doctor about that when the time comes!

I take omeprazole, it's also a proton pump inhibitor (stops excess stomach acid). It helps, doesn't stop the gastritis but when I have a flare-up it makes the symptoms a lot more bareable! Not sure if I will be able to take it while pregnant though, I'll have to talk to my doctor about that when the time comes!

Sorry I'm like 2 months late to the thread. I had an episode of gastritis over a month ago. Dr thought it could be al ulcer, o maybe gallbladder stones... they did a bunch of tests and everything came back normal so Dr decided it must have been stress-related gastritis. I took Omeprazole for one month and I feel great now.

I reasearched online and there's been a few studies showing that there's no link between omeprazole and birth defects. It also appears to be safe to take it before you conceive. It isn't recommended during breastfeeding, though.

But, I'm completely with you on being afraid of the pain while pregnant. It is the most horrible pain i had ever experienced. I cried and begged to be taken to the ER, it was so bad... So hopefully it won't come back when I get pg and if it does, I guess I'll ask the dr to prescribe omeprazole again.

Good luck =)

I have had Gastritis for several years now, was first thought to of been Gall Stones but scans came back clear.
While i was pregnant it never bothered me anymore than normal and i only had a few episodes of soreness at the end of my pregnancy due to no space for my son.
It is worth speaking to your GP about this as everyones Gastritis is different and effects people differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->