• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any other obese/morbidly obese bumps out there?

Im here for yall too! I am pretty tall and can hide most of my stupid high BMI! I needed lots of help conceiving this LO. The actually just took me off the Metformin this past week. I do not have a history of high Blood Pressure, Diabetes and my cholestoral is a little high but not dangerous.

hi. i have a bmi of 37. doctors seem to blame everything on weight. i have been ttc for 4 years in total. i tried clomid which all failed. then lost 2 stone in the run up to a wedding and fell pregnant! i have put on about 7lb so far which drs want me to keep under control. im expected to only put on 1 stone in total! doesnt help that im craving sweet things!! bp is fine and have to have glucose tolerance test in a month which im not looking forward to. just hope i pass it. xxxxxx

what makes them do a GTT ? Is it because you are overweight or does something have to show in your urine tests?

I haven't been told I need to do one yet!

Good luck with yours Lilmisshappy!

I think weight can have something to do with fertility in some cases , but in mine it certainly didn't!

I also believe that as soon as a woman stops trying to fall pregnant they do, so if they have another focus in life ie. Dieting , learning to drive, getting married, it takes the pressure off and it just happens!

Hi, ChimChims! I'm probably about your size--5'8" and about 350lbs when I got pregnant. I've had type 2 diabetes for 12 years now, so I'm monitoring that closely. I've had dreadful morning sickness, and so have lost about 11 lbs at last check (I really need a scale at the house!).

I'm happy to "meet" you, since even on plus-size threads, I'm pretty much always the largest gal, sometimes by so much that I feel like a different animal altogether! My primary fears as far as the birth goes are 1.) pre-eclampsia--my blood pressure has been okay, but I still worry, and 2.) whether or not they'll be able to administer an epidural on me. I'm so heavy that it's a very real possibility that they won't be able to locate the correct placement, and that freaks me out a bit. Just trying to take it one week at a time, though, and not borrow too much trouble. :)

I'm a big girl, I havent calculated my BMI in years until just now I'm at 41.6 :(

That just sounds bad, but then to make myself feel better I calculated my lowest weight, back when I didn't eat and ran 10 miles a day, you could literally see my bones and it said that I was in the overweight zone even then.. I clearly remember in health class in front of the whole group being told that and being mortified, I was already overexcersizing and not eating how was I supposed to lose weight. Looking back now I see how little I was, but my teacher should not have made us do that in front of the class, and at that point should have told me what a load of crap the chart was.

So while I do need to lose some pounds, I refuse to believe that a chart can tell you how unhealthy you are!

I also had some trouble concieving, and was told I probably never actually ovulated on my own regularly. My Dr does not seem concerned about my weight, in fact he only mentioned anything about it for the first time last month when he said "weight looks good" I will be having the glucose test (but everyone in the US does) and I'm just now starting to look pregnant at 21 weeks, though I have to keep telling myself that its baby not fat.

Hey ladies ! Im 5'6 and was 240 pre pregnancy. now I range from 245-250 my My midwife has not come out and said it to my face but she had me get a EKG and a Echo cardiogram. All of my blood work came back normal. I know im over weight I watch what i eat and drink lots of water. I also have fibroids. Im Sure all of us will have beautiful healthy babies that adore us regardless of weight :)

My BMI has just reached 32 and my consultant has made me feel so bloody awful about it I don't even want to eat anymore!

Gestational diabetes test tomorrow. I feel like if I have it everyone is going to think I'm awful!

yeah i don't think they automatically do them here (UK) Think it could be a high BMI that makes them give you one.

is it the one with the horrible drink?

I'm 30 years old, pregnant with my first after 1 year of trying. I weighed 272 lbs when I got pregnant and was a US size 22/24. My BMI is right at 44, so pretty high! I'm down about 20 lbs from my highest weight at my wedding 3.5 years ago, and I've been roughly the same weight for the last 2 years.

Everything about my health and the baby has been excellent, and other than some very mild morning sickness for a few weeks toward the end of the first trimester, I've had an easy pregnancy. I'm definitely starting to notice more shortness of breath with stairs and difficulty standing for long periods of time without getting dizzy, but it's all fairly normal.

I'm very lucky to have a doctor who isn't obsessed with weight. He's acknowledged my weight and told me from the beginning that he wasn't going to tell me to only gain this or that, that he's seen plenty of overweight women actually lose weight during pregnancy due to changes in eating habits and that either way things go, that's what happens. I lost about 5 pounds early on, and as of my appointment 4 weeks ago, I'd only gained 2 back. I'm pretty sure at my appointment I'll be up 2 more, though, based on my home scale. I haven't drastically changed my eating, but my body makes sure I know it doesn't want as much food as I used to put into it which I believe is why I'm not gaining.

I have my second GTT tomorrow after doing one at 11 weeks due to being high risk for GD (family history, weight, age, recent miscarriage). I failed my 1-hour the first time but passed the 3-hour with wonderful numbers, especially compared to a 3-hour GTT several years ago while under the care of an endocrinologist. I opted to just take the 3-hour GTT this time around because I didn't want to have to drink the nastiness twice again. My dr's office sets the 1-hour number 10 points lower than everyone else, and I know there's no way I'll pass.

Good luck to everyone!!

ChimChims, I'm SOOO impressed that your doctor let you delivery vaginally despite the complications you had with your first. I've had so many friends lately get pushed into c-sections for not dilating quickly enough or supposedly having small pelvises. It sounds like it was a very difficult situation for you and the baby, but it's nice to sometimes hear about doctor's who don't automatically jump for the knife.

Hello ladies can i join in?

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 85kg with a bmi of 35.1

I haven't gained weight at all this pregnancy and in fact feel like the fat is melting off me despite my best efforts my pregnancy has been rough due to ms and indigestive issues so i have been eating healthily and in small amounts. It doesn't seem to be a concern to my medical team at present and i am not attempting to diet as such.

I had previous gd in my last pregnancy but i passed my 16 week gtt and a hoping to pass my 28 week one as it was only a marginal fail last time and i am much more active in this pregnancy with my three little ones to run around after!

Apart from that i have been having intermittent raises of my bp randomly which shoots up and settles again quickly and proteinuria from time to time. I don't see myself as obese really i am only a uk size 14 or 16 i do have a noticable bump now baby is a little bit small but within normal limits (although she has longer than average legs!)

I have had three normal deliveries and hope to be considered normal when it comes to labour and birth!

https://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/sthorp1179/121577886_photobucket_10778_.jpg

What a beautiful bump! Thanks for sharing!

yeah i don't think they automatically do them here (UK) Think it could be a high BMI that makes them give you one.

That's the one. Smaller women just as much at risk for GD as heavier women, though. Maybe they look for other risk factors before requesting the test like rapid weight gain or something, although from what I read on here, they're much more hands off in the UK unless you're overweight and then they make you feel awful about existing.

I thought my BMI would affect my want for a home water birth but it really didn't, my MW's have been great about it and have basically said if i have a straight forward pregnancy my Homebirth can go ahead :) Which is what they say to everyone :D

My last 2 babies were born with no major complications and weren't huge so they have every confidence that my HB will go to plan :)

That's the one. Smaller women just as much at risk for GD as heavier women, though. Maybe they look for other risk factors before requesting the test like rapid weight gain or something, although from what I read on here, they're much more hands off in the UK unless you're overweight and then they make you feel awful about existing.

Sadly this is true in a lot of areas, thankfully my care so far has been really good. I suspect that they wouldn't be so supportive if this was my first baby.

It's sad, they can advise and help etc without sounding so patronising but just seems they don't care who they hurt along the way :nope:

im not sure what week of pregnancy u girls were in but i was about 13-14 weeks when i got my weight done and was told i had a bmi of 28 and would need the gtt.although on my chart it says bmi of 31 so im not sure which is correct. i had pre-existing high bp before this pregnancy and apparently when i was slim and pregnant with my first 2 kids my bp went from low to high by the end stages of my pregnancy's.
im not sure why being over weight and preg makes it more risky although i can understand why health complications can make it more risky.

Hi there plus sized mamas to be! I'm 5'3", and pre-pregnancy I was about 240lbs, but I've lost 25lbs since getting pregnant, though I haven't been trying!

My doctor is terrific. Very supportive, and never condescending. In fact, when DH and I first wanted to start TTC, I went for a pre-conception check up, and I was DREADING the weight issue. *I* had to bring it up, but with my health and me being so active in my job and life, she had absolutely no concerns.

We've thankfully had no fertility issues, and got pregnant on the first month of TTC. I read in a book just conceiving is a sign of health, so I know my body is capable of creating a healthy baby.

All my levels are great so far, knock on wood, and they haven't been treating me like I'm going to develop pre-clampsia or GD.

I have a small bump now, and people that don't know I'm pregnant (teachers from classes I take the girls I nanny for, to) have asked if I'm expecting, so it's nice. I bought some maternity shirts, and pants, and those really help me look more pregnant, which I love.

For the first time in my whole life, I am really in love with my body. It's amazing what we women can do!

you lost 25 lbs in the beginning? that's amazing :flow: I wish I would have lost some weight in the very beginning with as much as I was throwing up, but I still ended up gaining 7lbs.. Seem to be holding steady though the past couple of weeks.

Can I join you ladies? :flower: I'm 5'1" and I'm a size 18-239lbs pre pregnancy & I'm pregnant with twins..

I've gained 7lbs so far, I'm expected to gain between 25-42lbs..

My doctor hasn't said anything about my weight yet, not looking forward to it though

I've attached two bump pics taken 10 weeks apart, the one in the yellow sundress was just yesterday at 13w5d

3w5d
View attachment 349042
13w5d
View attachment 349043

Beautiful bumps!

Hi im auk size 14-16 with a bmi of 33 i was 35 last pregnancy and it didnt affect anything im actually losing weight due to stess and anxiety and i have high bp but again due to anxiety i hardly eat anything and am losing about 1lb a week i think i will be having growth checks on baby as they have put on my notes possible iugr i think again due to anxiety and bp .xx

I'm very lucky to have a doctor who isn't obsessed with weight. He's acknowledged my weight and told me from the beginning that he wasn't going to tell me to only gain this or that, that he's seen plenty of overweight women actually lose weight during pregnancy due to changes in eating habits and that either way things go, that's what happens.

So far my doctor hasn't said a word about my weight, other than that it could complicate my c-section. It is an elective C-section, but after the trauma my daughter and I went through for lack of one ultrasound and the very bad decision to let me go naturally, there is NO way I am ever doing that again. Also, from what I understand I am broken enough still that it would be a very, very bad idea to ever try it this way again. That's fine by me! lol Have a baby shoved back in you twice and you wouldn't want to risk having one stuck again. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->