any plus size mummies to be?

Sigh, failed my 1 hour glucose screening... was 179 and the cut-off was 139. Now I gotta do the damn 3 hour one. Why don't they just do the 3 hour for everyone.... oye.

Ugh, I'm sorry you're having a rough time, Amythyst. I hope you do better on the 3 hour. You may have mentioned this, but why did they have you do it so early?

No idea on the swelling, unless it's just a position thing. I hope you can figure it out. I think the only swelling I've had was a few days selling at the farmer's market. I ended up with big feet after sitting there in a million degrees for four hours.

Is it early? Dunno... gonna assume its because I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for a long time that I might already have diabetes and its just being managed by the Metformin.

When I do these tests they are making me go off my medication for 3 days before doing it.

Ah, that makes sense. My midwife paperwork said it's later, I think around 28 weeks? And I agree with you, if it means going off a medication, they should just start you with the three hour test and be done with it. It's not like you're on the meds for fun!

Sorry to hear Amethyst :(
I hate those GT tests that drink urgh :p
They had me do a GTT at 18 weeks and I had my other one at 27 weeks. I don't have diabetes normally, it was only due to my weight they had me do one early as if I developed it early at least they could keep on top of it :)
I guess other countries are different, but here we do a 2Hr GTT in pregnancy.
We fast overnight from 10pm, and go in at about 8.30am for a blood draw. we drink the glucose drink and they tell us not to walk around and no food or even water for 1 hour.
We go get blood drawn after the hour, then we wait around again no eating/drinking/wandering around for one more hour where another blood test is done.
I don't know why everywhere doesn't do this, it seems the best way to get reliable results

Amythyst = sorry you failed hun :( that sucks. We do a 2 hour one here like Molly does. No food from 10pm the night before and were in for around 8:30/9am.. bloods done as soon as we get there and then have the drink and more bloods 2 hours later. They probably mean for us not to move around too much but ill have at least one of my children with me so that wont be happening.

I should have mine in roughly 2-4 weeks depending when they can get me in.

It's fascinating to see the differences in prenatal care from country to country. Like Scottish babies are somehow different from American babies?

I forgot to say yesterday, those blood pressure machines hate me too. The last two visits, the nurse has taken mine manually after using the machine. It always reads me as having suspiciously high BP. It was high at my first appointment, too, but we just attributed it to nerves - I was really anxious that baby had somehow magically disappeared at that one :blush: It's been right in the normal range when she took it manually, so I'm hoping it's the machine that's less accurate! The nurse seemed to think so. I wonder how many women are monitored for high BP just because of those machines? Maybe they're not as good if you're overweight.

my midwives wont use those machines.. they always say it should be done manually to get a correct reading.

Iv notices all american ladies get a 1 hour first. Yet in the uk we all go straight for the 2 hour one.

xxx

Guys..i am just so depressed today..someone at work told me that i do not look that pregnant yet..it looks like i have gained some weight..another one told me that my bump is very small :(

I am now 23 weeks...attaching a pic i posted earlier at 22 weeks.. :(

Attachments

• bump.jpg
    bump.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 9
:hugs: you do look pregnant.. int hat t-shirt in the pic your bump is hidden a bit but thats the style of top. I would just ignore them hun.. they are just being mean in my eyes!

weighed myself this morning and im back to pre-preg weight :wohoo: xx

:hugs: you do look pregnant.. int hat t-shirt in the pic your bump is hidden a bit but thats the style of top. I would just ignore them hun.. they are just being mean in my eyes!

weighed myself this morning and im back to pre-preg weight :wohoo: xx
That's amazing :)
I m up 7lbs from my PrE preg. Weight..
Not ideal for sure.. But under permissible limits I guess..

I wouldn't worry about 7lbs in 23 weeks. I think that's about where I am (it's been fluctuating a lot lately) and I'm only 18 weeks.

And you definitely look pregnant. Maybe you were wearing something that just didn't highlight the bump. I can look way more or way less pregnant depending on what I wear. I can't say enough about what a difference proper maternity clothes make.

You do look pregnant hun. If you want to look even more pregnant you can try getting the Bonds belly bands to wear under your tops, they kind of smooth the roundness out (have for me anyway lol) and wear tops that have a gathered section right under the bust. That way the shirt flares out a bit which defo makes a difference.
A lot of maternity shirts/tops are like that, but I have found a few at shops that sell larger women's clothing which are like half the cost of speciality stores.
Not that I need them now to look pregnant (30 weeks on Thursday) but when I was 22 weeks or so I LOVED them :)

I tried to get a belly shot without showing my actual belly, and I am wearing a Bonds belly belt (the kind that are just designed to keep tummy hidden if your shirts are too short) which helps round out my belly a bit. My tum is a bit of a funny shape without some sort of support, this way I am looking pregnant and not just fatter

Attachments

• more newbies1003.jpg
    more newbies1003.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6
  • more newbies1004.jpg
    more newbies1004.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 4
  • more newbies1006.jpg
    more newbies1006.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
  • more newbies1007.jpg
    more newbies1007.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm guessing there's no such thing, but has anyone seen anything like a bellyband that you can swim in? Maybe over the bump tankini bottoms? It's not a huge deal to me, but I'd love a little rounding out under a swimsuit. I wonder if I could make something...

maybe if you had an old pair of lycra bottoms you could get some material and add to it? I haven't seen any maternity ones but I am sure they'd be around

I have a maternity tankini, but I have that unpleasant apron of fat under my bump. It's easy enough to hide in clothes, but I worry about it in a tankini. I have a cruise coming up, and I want to have at least 2 suits, and I don't want to be limited to a one piece the whole time. I guess I ought to try it on and see how I like it now - I bought it a couple months ago on clearance because I anticipated trouble finding a good suit in October. If I post a photo later you guys will be brutally honest with me about whether I need to rig up some kind of bump band for under it, right?

Thanks :) I'll have DH take one. I might be able to get a maternity swim skirt, too. I don't care how it looks in the water, but I want to look definitely pregnant on the pool deck and on the beach.

I tried to get a belly shot without showing my actual belly, and I am wearing a Bonds belly belt (the kind that are just designed to keep tummy hidden if your shirts are too short) which helps round out my belly a bit. My tum is a bit of a funny shape without some sort of support, this way I am looking pregnant and not just fatter
This is very neat.. congratulations :)
Will just look through amazon now for Bonds belly belt :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->