Any T1 Diabetics on here? BP med Qs...

moomintroll

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping there are some diabetic folks on here, as I need some moral support and advice.

I have the implant in atm, and went to the Dr about a month ago to discuss having it out so we can start trying. I'm 30, so tick, tock!

He thought there was a clinic for people embarking on high risk pregnancies at the hospital so said he would refer me there, so I waited... and waited. Eventually he wrote to say that there WASN'T so I should go back in.

Well, my blood pressure meds can't be taken during pregnancy (neither can my allergy tablets, thats another story) so he prescribed me new ones, and I go back in 2 weeks to see if my BP is OK. Hopefully I can then make an appointment to have the implant out.

Problem is these new BP drugs are TERRIBLE. I started them yesterday and by the afternoon I was struggling to stay awake. I feel like I've been hit by a truck! constant headache, and exhaustion. Now, I'm ALWAYS tired, but this is a whole new league. I didn't feel safe to drive this morning (did I mention the severe nightmares?!) so I had to take a day off work. I can't afford to give up work to try for a baby.

I know I've only given it 2 days, but I'm not feeling that much better and I'm getting scared.

Has anyone else taken BP meds during pregnancy and before?

I was on an ACE inhibitor before, which was fine, but you can't take those when pregnant, so I'm now on Methyldopa (Aldomet).

Stupid thing is, when I was put on the drugs a few years back I Was told that it was ONLY because of the diabetes. In normal people they would have not given me drugs. So I'm wondering how important it is to even be taking them.

Well I know alot of diabetics end up with high blood pressure. It seems like every diabetic I have nursed (even diet controlled) has ended up on b/p tablets.

Do your readings be high?

Never saw that tablet at work so I am clueless as to whether the sideeffects are normal or something that would improve with time.

SIDE EFFECTS: Dizziness, drowsiness, headache, gas, dry mouth, fatigue, and stomach upset may occur the first several days as your body adjusts to the medication

https://www.medicinenet.com/methyldopa-oral/article.htm

I'm T1 diabetic but I can't help as I'm not on any BP meds yet (only diabetic for 2.5 years).

Thanks needausername, I will persevere with them, I was just feeling so down today, I can't really afford to take much more sick leave this year!

Hey Bubby, nice to meet you. I'm 16 years and counting now...

Nice to meet you too. If you need a TTC buddy when you move over then drop me a pm!

Hi im new to all this so please be gentle!!!! lol
Im a type 1 diabetic have been for 17 years was on 4 injections a day and have been moved onto a pump which is fab!!!
I have a son who is 5 and i had the perfect pregnancy as my sugars were tightly controlled. My birth wasnt the best but i wont go into detail!!! My son came a month early and was only 5pound. I had all these horror stories that i would have a big baby and a cesarean. I had a natural birth, no pain relief(not my choice!!) and my son was fine apart from jaundice and had triple phototherapy.
Im now trying for another so ill keep you updated!! I have a fab diabetic team that looks after me. All questions are welcomed xx

Hi im new to all this so please be gentle!!!! lol
Im a type 1 diabetic have been for 17 years was on 4 injections a day and have been moved onto a pump which is fab!!!
I have a son who is 5 and i had the perfect pregnancy as my sugars were tightly controlled. My birth wasnt the best but i wont go into detail!!! My son came a month early and was only 5pound. I had all these horror stories that i would have a big baby and a cesarean. I had a natural birth, no pain relief(not my choice!!) and my son was fine apart from jaundice and had triple phototherapy.
Im now trying for another so ill keep you updated!! I have a fab diabetic team that looks after me. All questions are welcomed xx

Hi,

I have just found out I'm pregnant, but it isn't planned. I have recently had a HBA1c result of 8.4 which I know is high, but I'm not sure what the effect will be. Not sure how many weeks as the line in the test was reasonably faint but I have a doc appointment tomorrow...

I am really freaking out right now about the harm that will already have been done and I don't even know whether I have done too much damage to carry on with the pregnancy :(

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"