Any tips for getting eye drops in?

Natnee

Mummy to Belle
Reaction score
Belle has infection in her eyes, it's not TOO bad but we have eye drops. (I had the choice of drops or 'ointment' but I thought drops were the better of 2 evils!) But anyway, it's such a pain to administer them. I have to do it on my own a couple of times a day, so what I tend to do is lay her on the floor with her arms and legs under me so she's clamped down. But she just get hysterical and moves her head frantically from side to side and her eyes squeezed tight. I don't know if much is getting in her eyes but I try my best.

So does anyone have any brainwave ideas or tips for making this easier, for both of us?

Not really, I've had to do it a few times for Aisling's eye appointments and need to do it in the car because of the timing so she's pinned in by her car seat. I tend to just do it very firmly by pinning her arms down with my arm, holding her eyelid open with one hand and squeezing the bottle with the other. Not pleasant but it gets the job done.

Izzy had conjunctivitis a little while ago, i held her and tipped her back, so i kind of had her pinned, i put it in the corner of her eye, even if her eye is shut as when she opens it it goes in anyway x

I think pinning them down is the only way, it's horrible though. We went through this with Douglas when he had conjunctivitis a while back, and when i spoke to my doctor friend about it she said the ointment is actually easier. The reason they fight the drops so much is because they're cold (from the fridge). The ointment is ambient and therefore less of a shock. I'll be trying ointment next time.

How about while asleep? Or when just woken up?

i use the ointment, emily's had it a few times
over the past year and ointments sooo much
easier and some drops can actually make it worse

i line her bottom eye lid with it before
she drops off, she's too tired to care or rub it
and it works overnight :thumbup:

the best one i've found is optrex infected eye stuff
it's brilliant but you can't use it until they're 2
emily gets it every few months so i'm glad she's old
enough now and i can just buy it over the counter :dohh:

ask for ointment next time, it doesn't run out the
eye either :haha: