Any tips to help me relax and sleep better?!

choc

Reaction score
I just can't unwind at night. I work part time and my mind goes into overdrive when I lay down to sleep. Then when I finally drop off the slightest noise wakes me and then I spend an hour thinking about work again! My sleep is so broken. I need to clear my mind some how. Does anyone have any tips or techniques? I'm also going to try ear plugs tonight.

I find making a list of things that are bothering me (as well as things I'm going to do to sort them out) helps clear my mind then I'm not constantly thinking of new things I need to do! Some lavender oil on a tissue next to my pillow helps as well because it's very relaxing. An hour after a nice warm bath is supposed to be the best time to go to sleep due to the temperature changes in your body. Maybe some white noise or music would help too?

What about listening to a hypnosis CD? I am currently listening to the hypnobirthing CD and always fall asleep before the end. Quite often, I fall asleep within minutes. And when I wake in the night, I just practice the deep breathing techniques to help me drop back off to sleep. I think Paul Mckenna did a sleep hypnosis CD/book and I'm sure there will be other similar ones on amazon.

We put white noise on for LO but I think it actually helps me too! Also, I drink chamomile tea before bed time and take one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290944037608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 which I actually bought for weight loss but they make me very sleepy!

Reading a book helps me relax and avoiding checking my phone/facebook/b&b last thing before i sleep!! Also a warm bath with radox sleep bath bubbles. Avoid any stimulants such as tv, phones, ipads, kindles after 7/8pm. Xx

Urghh! I'm the same, I haven't been sleeping until 1 or 2 recently and my LO's decided 6am is better than sleeping until 7am :coffee:

I am SOOOO exhausted all the time. I am probably not much help as I generally fall asleep to an episode of Graham Norton, I have to watch a movie or tv to get to sleep.

I used to be (sometimes am) a bad insomnia sufferer. A bath a couple of hours before bed is great, but not straight before as that can wake up your senses. No caffeine for (I think my GP said) four hours before bed. No tv for at least an hour before bed, or screens of any type,

Other than that you've just got to try to clear your mind, but not too hard as it'll have the counter effect. Just let it happen. Good luck x

I have this problem, infact last night I rang my Mum semi-conscious thinking there was someone in my house and was too terrified to go look :dohh: so I didn't sleep too great!

I find keeping a notebook next to my bed, and jotting down what I'm thinking before bed helps, as like you my mind races at night thinking about what I've got to remember to do the next day and my appointments etc. (Most of which I STILL forget!) and then when I wake up in the night I jot the things that woke me up, or the dream I was having and it helps me settle back to sleep quicker than before - It was something my doctor advised me to do (aswell as if it's a person that's bothered me and I can't sleep to write a fake letter to them and get it out before attempting to sleep) because I was having sleeping problems.

I've also got myself into the routine of - Kids to bed, tidy up, sort out the dog/uniforms/dishwasher/washing machine, then it's me time..Have a bath/shower, have a hot chocolate or glass of Orange Juice, and sit reading books on my kindle in bed without the TV. I think not having the TV on after 9pm has probably helped me the most.

Thanks ladies, some good tips. I'll def try the notebook idea x

Thanks ladies, some good tips. I'll def try the notebook idea x

I have a read in bed and a hot chocolate that always seems to get me off

I'd recommend a set rountine (like with kids :haha:) same time every night, with relaxing activities (not reading or dramas on tv- these make you think) a hot/very warm bath with lavender oils burning, lavender under the pillow, and a melatonin tablet. Cherries are also supposed to help with melatonin production, as is sleeping in darkness. Chamomile tea is good too.

If you still get no results I'd talk to your doctor. I take valerian sometimes for anxiety, but it's also a mild insomnia remedy. Might be worth a go if your doc is ok with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->