Any US ladies waiting to wean?

BurtonBaby

Reaction score
I know that most of you ladies are advised to wait until 6 months to wean, but here in the US the AAP recommends 4 months and most pediatricians recommend starting then. With Erica I started right before 4 months because her growth slowed down a lot, and my ped recommended it. With Carter however, we had his 4 month appointment on Friday and he is a solid 17lb7oz. He is exclusively BF'ed and is doing great on just my milk. I've been a bit hesitant about starting him already (He was 4 months on the 17th). I asked his ped and she said since he is growing so well that I have her blessing to wait a bit longer, but she thinks by 5 months we should start, and that he absolutely needs to no later than 6 months. I figure we will continue with just BF'ing and see if we notice any big changes in his milk intake (I think we're already thru the 4 month growth spurt) and if anything changes substantially, thats when we will start him on rice cereal. He is showing some signs of being ready to start, watching us eat, reaching for our food. Putting all objects in his mouth. Doing much better about not overeating while BF'ing. (He used to just eat and eat until he got sick.) I'm still comfortable with our decision to wait, but people are already asking if he's eating food yet. Its weird that in America people expect that you wean right at 4 months. How do you tell people that you are waiting? I usually quote the WHO, and change the subject, but people dont really seem to understand that not all babies have to start right at 4 months. :shrug:

Hang in there BurtonBaby!! Trust your instincts and wait! I didn't give Bella a stitch of anything except breastmilk till she was 6.5 months, and I'm sooo glad I did it. I just felt so proud of providing all her nutrition on my own. I don't think you'll harm anything by starting a little earlier if you'd like. But if waiting is what you want, stick to it!! Who cares what others say?? :)

I was under the impression it was still wait to 6mo here? I'm not finding the AAP's official stance on it though, so maybe it recently changed back to 4-6mo. However the range is not start at 4mo for sure, it's between 4-6mo therefore anytime then :) Follow your instincts and do what you feel is best. We didn't start solids until 6mo with Hayden, he flat out refused, he didn't eat until 9mo. We luckily had a very educated pediatrician, especially with breastfeeding and assured us he was just fine, and he was. There are many moms that nurse soley for the first year. They don't HAVE to be on solids at 6mo. Their iron they have stored up starts to deplete after 6mo, but doesn't just disappear so it's ok if they aren't ready even then. I'd honestly just wait to 6mo, better to be sure they are ready then them not be at 4mo, especially if he's doing so well just nursing

This comes from and Amercian dr
https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Thanks ladies! Its nice to have some support in waiting instead of pressure to start asap. I feel even better about our decision now than I did before posting. :D

My Dr. said you could even wait til 8 months to start weaning if they are still growing well and satisfied. Why replace breastmilks perfect nutrition. But there are other reasons to wean like if they are developmentally ready. I wouldn't have minded going past 6 months to start weaning but LO was starting us down as we eat and make eating motions with her mouth. I just couldn't deprive her. You will know when he is developmentally ready for solids too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->