Anybody get a + opk before a + hpt?

ricschick

Proud mummy of 6!
Reaction score
I'm 10-11dpo I took a hpt tonight and a opk the opk was positive, there maybe a super faint line on the hpt but not convinced anyone had this then they got their bfp?:thumbup:

No but I POAS on an OPK at about 8 weeks randomly and the test line stole all the dye from the control. Haha!!

xx

I had some opk's in the house but no hpt so I did them all over a week and a half and kept showing up negative. I went and bought a clearblue digi hpt and got a positive with 3+ weeks the same day as testing negative on an opk.

Pic is 12dpo. Top test hpt FMU, middle hpt SMU, bottom ovulation test with same pee as the middle test. First positive was 11dpo.

Attachments

• IMAG4088.jpg
    IMAG4088.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 29
With my son we'd only just started trying and I thought I knew when I'd ovulated but started getting the same symptoms two weeks later so took an opk thinking I'd got my cycles wrong and it came up positive, the next day I took a hpt which was negative and then the day after that a hpt was positive

Thanks George! I do feel pregnant I feel sick I've had cramps non stop for the last 5 days and sore boobs and a lot of creamy cm so I'm hoping il get a bfp in a few days too!

here is the problem using a hpt as an opk..

hpt is much more sensitive as they are from 10 mui-25 mui and opks are 40 and sometimes 40 plus mui..so a hpt would show up wayyy before a opk would show pregnant the other thing is sometimes you willl get a long lh surge or a secondary lh surge even if it never happened before...face it we are women and our bodys are a mystery...lol

but a opk will show pregnant but after and later then a hpt..u reallllly need to be pregnant for that to show up

YES! With my first, I got a positive opk about 5 days before getting a positive on a hpt!

Pic is 12dpo. Top test hpt FMU, middle hpt SMU, bottom ovulation test with same pee as the middle test. First positive was 11dpo.

ur not supposed to dip opks and hpts in the same urine...can result in a false positive....

just so u know for future:thumbup:

YES! With my first, I got a positive opk about 5 days before getting a positive on a hpt!

then u where pregnant over 4 weeks because it wont show unless ur 40 mui or above.....

but most times it will just confuse and cause false hopes so i wouldnt advise it..

if it showed 40 mui and u where not near it then u had a falty test...but hey..it worked right :)

thinking about it and coming back to the thread its easy to explain the positive hpt...sometimes people get a weird lh surge right before they where due for af...

that would definitly explain the positive opk days before....

if people want to read why not to use a opk as a hpt go to peeonastick.com...

it explains it all :) and with all other fun stuff to read :)

I'm 10-11dpo I took a hpt tonight and a opk the opk was positive, there maybe a super faint line on the hpt but not convinced anyone had this then they got their bfp?:thumbup:
I did! But I also read on a board that you can get a LH surge right before AF comes so I didn't think much of it...until that BFP came a couple of days later :) Good luck!

I took an opk the day after af was due as i had no hpt in the house. The opk was + and i dug out an old digi which then came up pregnancy 1-2. However it was a couple of months out of date so Dh was sent to get new tests which came back +. Only times i have ever had + opk is when pregnant ...

ur not supposed to dip opks and hpts in the same urine...can result in a false positive....

just so u know for future:thumbup:

I fail to see how dipping a hpt in a big pot of urine, followed by an opk in a big pot of urine is gonna lead to a false positive, the dye is never in contact with the urine the test area is never in contact with the urine. You can get a false positive from leaving them drying touching each other as the chemicals flow from one test to another. But using the same sample, hpt first?... I doubt it.

And if you look at my tests the hpt matches the earlier hpt taken alone so most definitely not a false positive.

Also my opk's are 20mIU.

When I thought I was pregnant this time I used an IC hpt and the line looked like an evap at 10 and 11dpo. I did a second test with an opk (different pee just to be safe) and it came up very dark very quickly. The IC didn't come up anywhere near as dark until 15 dpo. I got a much better line on a branded hpt.

I would get a different brand of test just to put your mind at ease but it's looking good!

I did x

I started to get positive OPK's from last thursday, progressively getting stronger, and when I tested at work on sunday night after copious amounts of tea and coffee at 1am I got a definite positive test.

But in contrast I was reading that OPK's are more sensitive to HPT's because LH and HCG are only one protein different and OPK's can often pick up a positive before a missed period which, can sometimes be misleading as it may be a chemical pregnancy xx

thanks girls for all your stories this does make me hopeful!! whats weird is ive only ever had a pos and then ov and as I said I got 2 very strong + on cd19/20 so unless I didn't ov and my body is trying again :shrug: or im in fact pregnant??? I did another this morning with my 3rd wee of the day and still a very + opk but neg hpt.
photo 2 (2).jpg

I also found this info stated by a doctor???

A woman trying to conceive asked her doctor if she could use Ovulation Predictor Tests (OPK's) as Home Pregnancy Tests (HPT's). The reason for the question is that it is asked a lot on "trying to conceive" web sites. Many women will have an extra OPK after ovulating and may want to use it as an HPT. Here is what the doctor said.

The chemical make-up of LH (LH is the hormone that triggers the release of the egg and is very high prior to ovulation and causes a positive result on an OPK), is one thread short of being hCG (HCG is produced by the placenta during prenancy and it is what HPT's look for). That is why you will not get a + hpt if you are having your LH surge, but you will get a + OPK if you are pregnant, that one thread that is in the hCG, but missing from the LH is what makes the hpt work.

But on the other hand, he did say that an OPK is probably the most sensitive hpt you can buy. He said that there are two ways to use it.

1. Using it daily and if your test line gets darker then you are most probably pregnant

2. Use it once (yeah right ), and if your test line is as dark as or darker than the referance line then you are pregnant.

He said that the only bad things about using the OPK are that

1. The OPK will pick up a + hCG before the doctor's office test but about two days after a beta test would pick it up (detecting 10mIU of hCG being between 7dpo - 9dpo ~ according to the average impant of 5-7 days), so if you are waiting to take a urine test at the doc's office, you would still have to wait.

2. It detects pregnancy so early that it will detect chemical pregnancy and early m/c pregnancy

3. Cannot be used reliably by PCOS patients if they have a high LH (as most do)

I forgot to mention my opk got progressively darker as described above.

Also I was surprised to find out that just because a cheapie test is 10miu doesn't mean it will give a darker line sooner iykwim. Like I said, mine was a squinter but came up more obviously on a branded hpt. I used a clear blue plus (blue dye test but I figured I would be unlikely to get a false positive on a pink IC and a blue dye test). Basically the more expensive test showed a more conclusive result for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->