Anybody use a butcher's?

Pearls18

Reaction score
I've heard some people going to a butcher's and buying a month's worth of meat...I'm tempted to try that this pay day as we always use supermarket meat. But I've never done it before, does anyone do this? Do butcher's do like a package thing....or do you just select a bunch of stuff...I don't know lol...now mchn does it usually cost roughly?

Some butchers do bulk packages :) some don't..

Our local farm shop does a BBQ pack for £25. - sausages, chicken, burgers and ribs.

I get my joints from the butchers, separately. Best thing you can do is go to the butchers for a chat, they're always very helpful :) x

I do shop at the butchers but don't buy a months worth. I buy the following:-

1lb Bacon - £2.80ish
1lb Sausages - £3ish (They have about 10 flavours to choose from)
1lb mince - £3ish
Or you can buy a bundle of all three above + 6 eggs for £10.

Whole chickens are around £5
Burgers are around £3 for 4.

My husband is a butcher in a little local village butchers. I would say plan ahead with what you want and have a budget to stick to then speak to the butcher - they'll be more than happy to try to accomodate your needs into your budget, perhaps suggest cheaper alternative cuts etc.

Also I have found if you look at the cost alone it seems expensive, eg at my Hubby's shop a single chicken breast is about £2.50-3 which in my book is expensive, but when you compare the sheer size to that of a single breast from a pack in a supermarket its about twice the size!! (I could get us a meal each out of one breast! And still have some to freeze if I was cutting it up for a sauce or curry ect)

Also ask if they have any bulk packs or value packs - my Hubby's has a '£5 bargain freezer'. They pack up say 6 pork steaks that maybe got cut slightly thinner than they would normally sell out the counter - perfectly good size for one meal still though, or we get the 12-15 (depending on size) of their chicken thighs which I have started using instead of breast meat as it was more cost effective and tastier meat.

It works but dont rush it the 1st few times or you could get caught out. Make time to discuss with the butcher what your needs are - their a jolly bunch always happy to help (unless you stroll in at 4.55pm on a Saturday!! 😁)

Thank you ladies *makes a mental note not to go in 5 mins before closing lol*

As it was payday I was thinking maybe going in seeing what I could get and meal plan around that? Maybe for the first time?

I walked past our local the other day and was surprised to see a pack of chicken breasts (2) for £2.99 they looked a good size. I haven't explored many cuts before so thought it might be a good way to spice up our weekly food a bit, hopefully save a bit of money, get some tastier meat and I like the idea of using local!

Its a good plan, but def go in and make them aware of your budget as my hubby said he always has young couples go in saying we'll have that, that and that then taking a big gulp when they hear the total cost!
Let us know how it goes! ☺

My butcher does a 'freezer top up'

2lbs each of:

Bacon
Mince
Pork chops
Stew steak
Chicken breasts
Sausages

All for £28! It's amazing

I get most of my meat at the butcher (not mince as I only like lean mince and my butchers doesn't have lean mince). I usually get:
Pack of chicken breasts (ususally 6) for £10.
1lb sausages £4
And then three packs of meat for £10:
4 Pork steaks
2 duck breasts in plum sauce
4 Pork steaks in chinese marinade
1lb bacon £3.50

There is a butcher closer to me which I don't go to (the guy who owns it is a pig) and they do meat for the week, this weeks meat (going from memory, saw the board today) was 1lb sausages, gamon steaks, a whole chicken, 1lb diced chicken breast, 4 beef burgers, 1lb mince and it was £15.

My OH is a butcher

Lots if people stock up for the month, and it's much cheaper (and better) than supermarket meat!

If your buying lots you can always barter the prices too :winkwink: most people do!

We stock up for theonth every pay day- plan our meals around the special offers that the butcher has on. X

I only buy meat from butchers...I usually buy a weeks worth and he's doesn't really do deals ... In fact he's so bloody rip off but it's just soooo good the stuff he has

My local butcher has packs of meat/bacon/chicken breasts opposite the counter with deals (2 for £5, 3 for £10 etc). It's pretty decent. Everything in the counter is labelled with price by weight though so you can't go wrong really.

We buy most of our meat from a local butcher, the quality is so much better than supermarket meat and they have great offers and deals so it definitely isn't any more expensive. The one we use does family packs which change quite often so there's always a good variety

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/carebear3352/Mobile%20Uploads/20140530_121908.jpgm just back from the butcher.
I have bought
A gammon
Whole chicken
6 breasts
4 rump steaks
20 chicken legs
650g minced beef

I have packaged it all up to go in our freezer.
This has cost me £35 and it will do 14-15 meals for my oh and I.
We try and have a veggie meal 2-3 times a week (ie 3 bean chili or a veg paella)

Hmm maybe a butchers trip is a good shout

I normally buy 4 trays for £20. For that i get 12 chicken breasts, 12 pork steaks, and 9 lamb steaks. I seperate them into bags of 3, and it does us about 11 meals. Sometimes more if i use that meat to make stews/ curries etc.
They often do offers like £5 for 3 packs of bacon and a tray of sausages.
The meats much nicer than the supermarket and bigger pieces too.

We use a local mobile butcher's van that is in the area once a week, and we freeze it all. We get things like chicken breasts (12 for £1), steak, diced beef and lamb. They even put a coating on for you of your choice such as sweet & sour or BBQ sauce on the chicken, pepper on the steaks and mint on the lamb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->