Anyone been diagnosed with under active thyroid?

LeeLouClare

Reaction score
Help! I'm exhausted, depressed and alone. I'm off work because I can't cope but my husband hates me for it.
I myself am only just getting to grips with having a life long condition in which I have to take pills for everyday. It's not like it'll last forever, just till my levels of thyroxine are correct and given time to work.
I don't understand however how this effects me properly my doctor only has had phone calls with me dicussing my levels. I'm finding it hard to talk to my husband about it. I think he thinks I'm lazy.
I'm now scared of every pain I get as if it's somehow connected? # struggling

My best friend's thyroid was not working right at all- so they had to remove it. She will be on meds for it the rest of her life. No choice- and yes, your thyroid can certainly affect your mood, energy level etc... I'm sure much more. She has to have her levels checked often to keep them in the normal range- and her weight can even affect how much/little she needs to take- so it's an ever changing balance and something she'll always need to be aware of.

Not sure this helps- but you are right, this is not forever. Just for now. And it will get better in time-- just remind yourself of that hun :hugs: If possible- try to make an appt with someone to discuss and talk you through treatment-- it's just a pill, but you should be knowledgable in how your body may feel if your taking too much or too little- and how often you need to get your levels checked etc... it's important to be proactive and aware- I'm a bit flumixed why your doc wouldn't do this all with you already?

Sorry it's furstrating-- hope things are better soon... just do what YOU need to do to get and feel healthy again. You will get there hun. Big hugs.

Your thyroid is so central to so many things about the body that you don't even realise. It affects my weight, my energy levels, my mood, how dry my skin is how brittle my hair is. It took a long time for me to find a way to explain to DH how much it affects my life ALL the time.

The best way I found to describe how it physically feels to him is to imagine having to walk through a swimming pool where the water is up to chest level. Its doable, you could probably do it pretty quickly if you wanted. But the effort it would take to maintain a normal walking speed compared to on dry land is how it feels to me to walk normally. Even now 13 years later if I am having a bad day he will forget what I can comfortably manage and needs to be reminded.

You need to sit him down and make clear to him its not a laziness issue.

I hope you start to feel better soon

I have had an underactive thyroid for a few years now. I was originally producing too much protactin and was put on medication for this, and then ended up with the underactive thyroid also.

Your husband does need to understand.
I am on thyroxine for it and feel fine. So long as I take my pills everyday I am alright.

My thyroid is done too...

I think it is hard for those without thyroid problems to fully grasp that it pretty much controls everything, so when it is out of whack, so are you!

It is a chemical imbalance. It exhausts you, your hair falls out, your energy is drained, you are highly prone to depression, your nails break, your skin dries out, etc. It affects EVERYTHING! and that is okay.

The good news is after you get the medications adjusted you are looking at one little pill (which annoyingly requires that lovely wait either before or after eating/drinking for hours (ugh)), but that is all. If you still have your thyroid your levels have to be checked occassionally.

Ask your husband to go without food and sleep for a couple days and see what his mood is like. It is about the same. yay hormones!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->