Anyone been given or had a stupidly early dating scan?

I don't understand why they do dating scans at all. A due date is a range of 2-4 weeks when baby could come. The "date" doesn't mean anything.

babies dont always come on due dates and gestation means a lot if a baby comes early.

That's what I said. Babies don't usually come on their due dates. It's really a period of 2-4 weeks that is their "due time". Babies are considered full term at 37 weeks. My last pregnancy I started having mild contractions at 36 weeks and she said if baby came she wouldn't stop it. Also you can go 42 weeks. so 37-42 weeks is quite the time span!

I think she meant the dating scans are very important if the baby is very premature. My baby was born (sleeping) at 24 weeks but was the size of a 19 weeker, if she had been born breathing and was that size but no dating scan then they might not of fought for her considering that would put her below viablity!

Here dating scans are between ten and thirteen weeks. Try not to worry OP :hugs:

My office likes you to come in for your first appt at 10 weeks, and book a scan for 12 weeks. But I always get one when I go in at 10 weeks because they can't find the hb with the dopplar due to my titled uterus. And then unless there is a problem, they don't do another until the 20 week gender scan.

So I guess I have been given scans 'stupidly early', but that seems to be a relative term depending on what country you're in and if you're having complications.

I have had enough losses in the past too know about early scans and them being useful. I mean the actual 12 weeks scan were they get proper measurements. Booking me in for one at 9 weeks 3 days still means I havent hit that important 12 weeks mark of safety I guess.....

:hugs: maidenet. It's such a complicated issue with scans. I think the 12 week thing actually comes from the time before scans but now we know it's actually when a hb is seen that the risks dramatically reduce. I hope that reassures you :hugs:

I think she meant the dating scans are very important if the baby is very premature. My baby was born (sleeping) at 24 weeks but was the size of a 19 weeker, if she had been born breathing and was that size but no dating scan then they might not of fought for her considering that would put her below viablity!

Yeah, that's what I meant. The difference between 22/23/24 weeks is massive when you are at risk of premature birth. The difference early term onwards isnt generally an issue.

I had one last time and they just booked me in for another three weeks later after the first one.

With DD I had a scan at 13 weeks (dating + NT) then 20+6 (measurements/gender) by the books. Extra scans - 28 weeks (dilating cervix + breech) then again at 32 weeks when she flipped back round - although that was more for positioning as I was contracting.

This pregnancy I had one at 6+1, 9+3 (dating) and another booked for 12+3 for NT measurements. Then after that it won't be until 18-21w unless something decides to crop up *touch wood*

I just had mine at 6 weeks 4 days but I know i'll have one around 10-12 weeks then next will be gender! I had an early one to make sure baby was in the right spot. I had one at 5 weeks 3 days but only saw the gest sac and yolk sac then so I had to do another so close to see baby, which I did and heartbeat :) the first one based off the sac they put me ahead a day, and based off the baby they put me behind one day which is most accurate considering I know the day I got pregnant! I dont know how you ladies waited til' 10+ weeks for your first scan I would loose my mind lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->