Anyone diabetic before pregnacy

I always injected in my tummy, with no problems with the 8mm needles. But pregnancy has made it more sensitive and now sometimes I do experience pain even with the 4mm needles. I don't know if there is any relationship but it never hurt before and now it does... So no god tip but I hope you will find a way...

I havent haf any symptoms atall with my pregnancy yet and i havent experienced these extreme hypos that all diabetics have mentioned yet. im a little concerned.

I havent haf any symptoms atall with my pregnancy yet and i havent experienced these extreme hypos that all diabetics have mentioned yet. im a little concerned.

Hehe don't be concerned!! Be GLAD you haven't had the hypos!!! I'm telling you those few months were the worst months of my life and I wouldn't want anyone to go through it!! Hopefully you'll be fine!! And tbh, you still got a couple of weeks. My hypos started week 8/9.

Ah ok thank you that makes me feel a little better - although not so happy that i still have them to look forward to!!

Still early days broodyb - have you had a scan yet or have one planned (one of the advantages of being diabetic is getting more scans)

I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow so i guess it depends how soon i get refered? will i have a scan at my first hospital appointment???

I hope no-one minds me popping in here and that everyones' pregnancy is going well? I am normally on the GD thread as I just have Gestational Diabetes as opposed to type 1 or 2, but I was after some information on insulin and I thought more ladies here would have experience of that.

I was diagnosed at 24 weeks and had my first diabetic clinic appointment at 25 weeks. After the first week they put me on slow acting insulin each night (Levemir) and then after another week, so at 26 weeks, they put me on fast acting before each meal. (Novorapid) I started on 12 units Levemir and 3 Novorapid before each meal. That has gradually increased as time went on and then a few weeks ago the clinic told me I could increase the levels of insulin myself if I needed to to keep my blood glucose within target as they simply couldn't see me often enough to increase it themselves. All fine so far.

The thing that is worrying me is that I am now 31+4 and my insulin requirements seem to be increasing quite rapidly. I am increasing it every 2-3 days as they suggested, but my blood glucose readings seem to be going up if anything, they certainly aren't lowering as I increase the insulin, so I assume my insulin resistance is going up rapidly. I have been told to increase the levemir by 2 units at once and the novorapid by one unit at a time, so that's what I am doing. I am alone in the house with just my children at the moment as my husband lives away for work, so I am a little worried about giving myself a hypo if I'm not careful, although I currently rarely get readings under 5mmol and never under 4mmol.

I worry I am doing something wrong. I am sticking to low GI foods where I can, but the dietician suggested carb counting was the way to go and has suggested 40g carbs with breakfast, 50g each at lunch and dinner, then 3 snacks of 10g of carbs each per day and another 10g of carbs as milk in tea or coffee. I am allowing myself the very odd 'treat', of say, maybe a scoop of icecream, but make sure I stay within my carb count for each meal and am very careful. Breakfast seems the worst, which I know is quite common.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal at this stage of pregnancy?

I hope no-one minds me popping in here and that everyones' pregnancy is going well? I am normally on the GD thread as I just have Gestational Diabetes as opposed to type 1 or 2, but I was after some information on insulin and I thought more ladies here would have experience of that.

I was diagnosed at 24 weeks and had my first diabetic clinic appointment at 25 weeks. After the first week they put me on slow acting insulin each night (Levemir) and then after another week, so at 26 weeks, they put me on fast acting before each meal. (Novorapid) I started on 12 units Levemir and 3 Novorapid before each meal. That has gradually increased as time went on and then a few weeks ago the clinic told me I could increase the levels of insulin myself if I needed to to keep my blood glucose within target as they simply couldn't see me often enough to increase it themselves. All fine so far.

The thing that is worrying me is that I am now 31+4 and my insulin requirements seem to be increasing quite rapidly. I am increasing it every 2-3 days as they suggested, but my blood glucose readings seem to be going up if anything, they certainly aren't lowering as I increase the insulin, so I assume my insulin resistance is going up rapidly. I have been told to increase the levemir by 2 units at once and the novorapid by one unit at a time, so that's what I am doing. I am alone in the house with just my children at the moment as my husband lives away for work, so I am a little worried about giving myself a hypo if I'm not careful, although I currently rarely get readings under 5mmol and never under 4mmol.

I worry I am doing something wrong. I am sticking to low GI foods where I can, but the dietician suggested carb counting was the way to go and has suggested 40g carbs with breakfast, 50g each at lunch and dinner, then 3 snacks of 10g of carbs each per day and another 10g of carbs as milk in tea or coffee. I am allowing myself the very odd 'treat', of say, maybe a scoop of icecream, but make sure I stay within my carb count for each meal and am very careful. Breakfast seems the worst, which I know is quite common.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal at this stage of pregnancy?

It all sound pretty normal hun. Its bloody hard work and usually your insulin just keeps going up and up.

no advice just :hugs: xxx

well i had another bad hypo again last night :( Fell asleep at 5pm and woke up about 8 having a hypo. I remember trying to eat my mobile phone at one point :wacko: Roll on september!!!

hi all, just a quick update, i had my scan on tuesday, the nuchal screening one, all looked ok:thumbup: and they put me at 11+2, i thought i was 11+6 so not too far off, got a diabetic appointment in a couple of weeks time so will find out how sugars have been then will fall into diabetic/antenatal clnic the following month

hope everyone else is coping with sugar levels and everything that comes with our bundles of joy:hugs:

Midori insulin resistance usually keeps increasing til about 36 weeks pregnant so it is normal for your levels to go up and up. I think you are possibly trying to keep your levels on a very strict schedule as having them all above 4mmol is actually what you want else you will go low. It is the ones more than 10 that you need to be wary of and also try to have them below 8 if you can. I know this is not what GDs are usually told but it is almost impossible on insulin to get it to the perfect levels they want - if they are really going high (12s and above) then you may need to use a scale and give yourself an extra 1-2 units (eg at 12mmol give yourself an extra 1 units, at 14mmol give yourself an extra 2 units and so on - the amount you gives depends how sensitive you are to the insulin and since it is GD I would suspect you might need even less)

LincolnGirl you sound like you are having a pregnancy like my last one - hang in there, it'll be over before you know it. Are you raising your insulin levels now - I found I had to raise them and decrease them all the time (not just raise them) as I went low very often - I think week 22-24 were my best.

Congrats gogo - nearly through the first trimester!

I have been getting low levels lately - nothing like the pregnancy where I was often in the 1s, but last night I didn't even feel low and they were 2.7 so I am trying to be a bit more careful now and have lowered the insulin slightly - I think its from the weight loss and breastfeeding as my baby is reaching the 3 month growth spurt now.

Thanks ever so much for the replies.

Tanikit, sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. :blush: I was more referring to my levels not going too low in relation to that meaning I am less likely to have a hypo (hopefully!) as I increase my insulin. It's something I've managed to avoid so far and want to keep it that way if I can.

I don't get many readings over 10mmol. I think the values they give GD's to stick to are much stricter than for other diabetics. It's 3.5-5.9 before meals and then under 7.8mmol 1 hour after meals, so tight! They think I am doing OK, it's mainly my fasting and after breakfast readings I have most trouble with. After dinner are usually OK or in the low 8's, but then they go up later on before bed, so I might try an extra unit of insulin before my evening meal and see if that has a knock on effect on my late evening and fasting readings.

It's reassurring to know that it is not unusual for insulin requirements to increase so quickly. Thankyou!

Midori insulin resistance usually keeps increasing til about 36 weeks pregnant so it is normal for your levels to go up and up. I think you are possibly trying to keep your levels on a very strict schedule as having them all above 4mmol is actually what you want else you will go low. It is the ones more than 10 that you need to be wary of and also try to have them below 8 if you can. I know this is not what GDs are usually told but it is almost impossible on insulin to get it to the perfect levels they want - if they are really going high (12s and above) then you may need to use a scale and give yourself an extra 1-2 units (eg at 12mmol give yourself an extra 1 units, at 14mmol give yourself an extra 2 units and so on - the amount you gives depends how sensitive you are to the insulin and since it is GD I would suspect you might need even less)

LincolnGirl you sound like you are having a pregnancy like my last one - hang in there, it'll be over before you know it. Are you raising your insulin levels now - I found I had to raise them and decrease them all the time (not just raise them) as I went low very often - I think week 22-24 were my best.

Congrats gogo - nearly through the first trimester!

I have been getting low levels lately - nothing like the pregnancy where I was often in the 1s, but last night I didn't even feel low and they were 2.7 so I am trying to be a bit more careful now and have lowered the insulin slightly - I think its from the weight loss and breastfeeding as my baby is reaching the 3 month growth spurt now.

they are slowly on the rise again. Recently put them up but i think i still need more :(

My insulin requirements go up all the time. this week I increased my backgroung by 4 units in the morning and 2 units at night. Today I had the best levels in all week, with only a 3.4 not perfect.
The only concern is that I am mesuring too big. My fundal heigth was 29cm at 26 weeks. I will see in two weeks time at my 28 weeks growth scan.

Well I've hit the 2nd tri and BOOM here come the high sugars! Fabulous :(

Jaybear I'm not sure why I burst out laughing at your post and was rolling around on the bed!! It's not even THAT funny as you are worrying about how to get them down etc. I am having extreme mood swings recently!!

The good thing about 2nd tri sugars is you can control them. The 1st tri sugar levels have a mind of their own!!

3rd tri for me is touch wood the best tri so far. Not sure if they stabalise in 3rd tri but mine have been so under control. Sometimes I think maybe my machine is wrong (like I had a massive slice of M&S victoria sponge cake yday and 2 hours later my sugar was 4.1) so I go to my parents and use my dad's machine thinking maybe my one is busted but it's not!!

Midori I really hope you get things under control. Diabetes is confusing. Sometimes I have salad for lunch (with 2 small potatoes for carbs) and my sugar is high and sometimes I will have maccy ds with apple pie and sugar is perfect! Very unpredictable!

Gozo really glad your nuchal scan went well!!

Nearly there nemo - do you have plans yet for the delivery? Are you sure your sugars aren't dropping now you have reached 36 weeks (based on the good level when eating sweet stuff)

My readings are MUCH lower than they were say mid second tri. Do they drop at this time? I haven't had a diabetic appointment for last 3 weeks but have one tomorrow so will ask.

Also not sure about delivery. Got a 36 week scan on Thurs and they'll decide whether or not to induce me. In my 32 week scan the consultant said if the growth continues to be on track, they'll let me go to 40 weeks but not over 40 weeks. Not sure if thats ok or normal?

Also I have some sad news. My hubby had a general check up the other day and his fasting blood sugar was 9 :-(

I am so sad. I tell him ALL THE TIME to not take his health for granted. I knew this would happen. I am worried about our baby and baby's future.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Regarding inductions in my hospital they induce ALL type 1 diabetics at 38 weeks regardless of baby growth. But I know that some hospitals don't. Will you have any kind of non stress test or something to check if the placenta is ok?

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Regarding inductions in my hospital they induce ALL type 1 diabetics at 38 weeks regardless of baby growth. But I know that some hospitals don't. Will you have any kind of non stress test or something to check if the placenta is ok?

why do they induce all at 38 weeks??? just curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"