Anyone else addicted to gaviscon?

Kato2

Mummy to 1 and pregnant
Reaction score
Cannot stop taking them! MW said ok to take them but I want them more than I want chocolate! I do have heart burn but once I start I have to seriously control myself! I could eat a 32 pack in 10 mins if it was ok... Is it?

The package should have a daily maximum on it. If your midwife didn't give you a different figure, I'd stick to that daily maximum, and ask at your next appointment. I don't think there's really any harm in overdoing it a little bit with heartburn meds, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

There is no daily max on packet. Says take 2-4 with meal and at night and then take again when symptoms occur

Interesting, I know my antacids here have a daily maximum. Maybe different labeling laws. I'd still try not to overdo it.

I used to eat about 6 at a time to cure my heartburn. I wouldn't recommend a whole pack but I think it would take a lot to over do it.
It might be the chalky texture? It's quite common for women to crave strange things like chalk while pregnant.

Try using the super markets own make gaviscon liquid instead. I promise you you won't be addicted to that 😝😷 aniseed flavour.. yum.

I had this in my pregnancy I could go through 60+ tablets a week easily !!
Pharmacist told me they wouldn't harm baba at all but think its classed as a form
Of pica !!

They won't harm baby, but over the counter antacids when consumed will decrease stomach acid for the moment and within 30 minutes or so the body tries to compensate for the lost acid and will hyper-produce stomach acid increasing reflux and heart burn symptoms. In addition, taking that many antacids can ultimately harm the stomach lining as some acid is necessary to break down foods like meat.

I would chill our and talk to your doctor. There is such a thing as to much of a good thing....

Gosh I can't stand the stuff, let alone want to eat it! :rofl:

I know most people are disgusted when I mention it but my love for it is growing by the day! I think I am going to have to give my husband tue Packets to limit me taking them. They don't say to limit and my MW said knly side effect may be a bit of a bad tummy which hadn't hapenned but I could eat 50 a day if I thought was ok (I don't by the way)! Must stop talking about them... Mouth watering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->