Anyone else had scan at 5 weeks. Need positive stories please.

love.peace

Mama
Reaction score
I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy so went to the EPAU today. The doctor could see a pregnancy sac but no fetal pole or yoke. I am 5 weeks and 1 day. He said it could be too early and I have another scan in 2 weeks.
I'm pleased ectopic has been ruled out but also very nervous. I had blood taken today to check my hcg levels and they will check again in 2 days to see if they have doubled.
Any positive storied would be great. Thank you :flower:

I had something similar with my second pregnancy, I was slightly earlier than I thought due to later implantation. 7 days later and baby was exactly 7 days more developed than it had been a week earlier. Lmp just gives you an estimate.

With this pregnancy I was scanned at 6+2. On an external scan get could see a sac and nothing else. They did an internal to ease my mind (2 previous miscarriages and an ectopic) and saw a sac, fetal pole with cardiac activity and a yolk sac. I was actually measuring 6+3 despite having 31-33 day cycles so I must have implanted really quickly!

So with me I have been nearly a week behind lmp and this time I expected to be measuring about 5+4. Also there is a huge difference between external and internal. Plus, it depends on the age and accuracy of the machine, and possibly the skill of the person doing the scan!

honestly try not to worry. I had a scan at 6+1 that just showed a tiny sac and nothing else. At my next scan at 8+1 we saw a healthy little baby and a lovely heartbeat. I only agreed to be scanned so early as I had one sided pain and they were worried after my other losses. Otherwise I would have refused till 8 weeks as early scans can cause so much worry.

If you are 5 you should see yolk sac. But try not to worry hun

Thank you for sharing. I did have an internal scan but still only saw the pregnancy sac. I'm really praying in 2 weeks to see a beautiful baby and HB as I should be 7 weeks then.

Thank you for sharing. I did have an internal scan but still only saw the pregnancy sac. I'm really praying in 2 weeks to see a beautiful baby and HB as I should be 7 weeks then.

I had a scan at 5, 5+3, 6, 7, 7+1, 8 & 10. Heard heart @ 7.

5 thick uterine (no pic)
6 yolk sac (no pic)
7 fetal pole
8 more developed fetus
10 wiggly bean

Attachments

• 272c326c-820e-443a-8684-70faa36e0014_jpeg.jpg
    272c326c-820e-443a-8684-70faa36e0014_jpeg.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11
  • a7ed1102-bb33-4606-829f-5469c63b754f_jpeg.jpg
    a7ed1102-bb33-4606-829f-5469c63b754f_jpeg.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 91fbc38f-5867-4dea-a8d5-d9bea8462bb1_jpeg.jpg
    91fbc38f-5867-4dea-a8d5-d9bea8462bb1_jpeg.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
I had a 5 weeks scan few days ago and on external they only saw a sac and internal they saw the sac and yolk and I have to go back monday when I should be 6 weeks and hopefully we will see a heartbeat, fingers crossed we will

but reading from other women, every women different and see things at different stages

try not to worry and good luck hope all goes well :)

This happened twice to me. They are now 11 and 5. It's normal.

Thank you very much for your replies. I know I ovulated late so could be either 4weeks 6days, 5 weeks or 5 weeks 1 day. The doctor said you could usually see the yolk half way through week 5 so praying its just too early. I'm going to call the hospital in a bit to get my hcg results.

Just remember not everyones baby's develop by the book. Some are just slow starters! I'm sure all will be fine! Good luck!

Even though doctors may say that you should see certain things by certain points or by a certain hcg level, it doesn't mean you will. Every person, pregnancy, and baby are different. What I might see at a certain point might be completely different from what you see.

I had brown spotting with some clots from 5+4 until 7+3. During my 5th week I had 2 betas done and then a scan at 6+1. When I had the scan at 6+1, my hcg levels were over 18,000 (meaning they should have been able to see everything). I measured 5+5 and only a sac. Not even a yolk sac.

I had another scan at 7+4 and baby caught up right to where he/she should be, looking perfect.

I know it's hard, but try not to worry or stress. Early on, everything can vary so much. Good luck and keep us posted :hugs:

Hon, please try to be patient and wait and see what happens in 2 weeks. I know it's incredibly hard, I've been through it. But try for your own sanity.
At 5w1d (especially with a suspected late ovulation, so you're probably behind that) it CAN still be too early to see more than the sac. Each pregnancy is unique. Some women see things on scan early on, while others see them later on. There is no hard and fast rule, and it's way too early to write anything off.
Heck, I had a friend who only saw the sac at 6w5d. That was her second pregnancy and the first one had been a blighted ovum, which had left her devastated. You can imagine the excruciating 2 weeks she went through thinking the worst. But then she went back at 8w5d prepared for the worst, and there was her baby with a strong heart beat. This baby is now a healthy and happy 2 year old.
Good luck with your pregnancy!

Also, if you've seen the sac and it's intrauterine, your chances of ectopic are WAY low now. Yes, sometimes there can be a 'pseudo-sac' with an ectopic, but a)this is rare, and b)it never looks like a normal sac anyway, from what I've read.
So if your doc saw a normal sac in there, chances are you can cross the ectopic out of your list of worries :hugs:

Thank you so much. You have all been wonderful and so encouraging and I am truly grateful. After 2 mcs I am very nervous but also hopeful.
I just had a call from the hospital and my hcg level is almost 3000 and my progesterone is 60.6. They would like it to increase by 65% in 48 hours so will just wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->