Anyone else in the UK concerned about possible cuts???

wtbmummy

Reaction score
Ok so I am REALLY concerned over David Camerons alledged cuts to the benefits system.
We don't get much help as dh has a good job but if he goes ahead and completely cuts child tax credits I will actually be forced out of work as I will not be able to afford the childcare, travel etc...

To me this is very counter productive of David cameron as I think there will be a lot of mothers in my situation then leaving work altogether as it is just not feasible to be in work and lose money.

Also it has been announced he also wants to cut SMP altogether!!! Yes you will get no maternity pay unless your employer pays it all. (Meaning most people will not get paid)

When I worked out us having baby no.2 I actually did all the sums without maternity pay so I know we can do it, however in those first few months that extra money would be so important for things like ds's preschool a couple of mornings a week for time for him to socialize (he loves nursery and is very social) and time for me and baby no.2 to have some time together.

I dont know. All this is very worrying to me. I am very concerned that everything is going to go wrong with this new goverment.

Is anyone else concerned??? Or am I just being crazy???

try not to worry these things prob wont even get passed in parliament try not 2 worry until it happens conservatives always look after the rich the poor get sod all as per :(

That SMP one is BS. They are increasing childcare to 30 hours for 3/4 years, so I am expecting tax credits may be cut due to that, but we will have to wait and see. There's no point stressing about it right now and there's a lot of left-wing scaremongering going on so I really wouldn't think about it until something is cut. He's trying to make it pay to work, I get childcare tax credits , I have just got a pay rise of £5000 and will be increasing my hours from 3 to 4 days a week and I will be £250 WORSE OFF a month. That's ridiculous, it needs to pay more if you work more. Unfortunately I think that will lead to tax credit cuts, but as I say until it happens there is no point worrying, they're offering more free childcare than labour was.

But they will not scrap maternity pay, I would bet my life on that, no idea where you've heard that? They've just expanded the law so men can take can paternity leave.

Honestly I think he wouldn't be in power if it wasn't for all the tactical voting. DEMOCRACY my arse. In Scotland there was tactical voting for SNP, then the conservative papers started saying aw the labour want to join with SNP so people in England tactical vote for Conservative to stop snp and labour getting in power... so there has been so much voting for parties no one wants! I voted NO for scottish independance but honestly the way tactical voting worked out in this election made me think both countries would have been better off a part! It shouldn't be a case of us verse them but that's what it has become. I have many friends scared about what cameron will do because he tends to "pilot" unpopular things in Scotland first e.g. room tax.. always been the case though e.g. poll tax, council tax all started here to trial how it would affect people. I use to live in England and half family in England half in Scotland and I love both countries and think we would be stronger together, but after this and the hate that has developed between S and E both countries would probably be better off alone.
Cameron does scare me, my partner works full time under living wage, overtime is where he goes just over living wage. My work is over living wage, we have a council house we got when i was a student and we had no where else to go (private too expensive at time) .. well now he has plans for those who work to not be allowed council houses and should go private..if we went private, a mortgage is a no go because we only have spare money because council is more affordable. So right now we are saving as much as possible to get mortgage soon so we can get it before this is introduced. A majority government can get bills passed pretty quickly because they do not have anyone who can stop them really. They don't need another party (in a coalition) to agree with them.
You would think instead of making it HARDER for those working low paid jobs and forcing them to private they would make it easier to buy for everyone! Or put some limits on the private sector .. a 2 bedroom where we live is 750, council rent is 300, a mortgage repayment over 30 years (for a 3 bed modest house) £470 ... so instead of forcing us to go private why not find ways to make buying easier e.g. instead of a deposit a guarantee signs the papers with you .. if we can afford to pay our rent/private/council with spare money then obviously a mortgage will get paid too. Instead of forcing us workers in council houses out into private which would mean we have no spare money for saving or emergencies.
But don't worry, anything he wants to do will get trialled here first so I'll let you know when i'm homeless and then you should have about a year to get stuff sorted before it goes down south :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->