Anyone else not get this "50 shades" fuss??

Great link there^. The actors who play them both seem to feel uncomfortable about their roles (from what I've watched/read anyway). Bet they both regret taking the job lol

I saw this link on FB yesterday which analyses all the chapters and the amount of trigger warnings necessary is just shocking: https://50shadesofabuse.wordpress.com/chapter-analyses-master-list/

I think the worst part for me was the idiotic "inner goddess" drivel. I became legitimately enraged every time that came up.

If anybody decides to read it and hasn't yet, you can improve the experience quite dramatically by taking shots every time you see "Holy ____". It's like two or three a page, at least.

I've tried to read book one just to see what all the fuss was about and ended up quitting halfway through because of both the bad writing (not being able to use the word vagina and instead constantly referring to it as "down there" and let's not forget about the very conscious subconscious and the inflation of the word "post-cotial") and the obvious glorification of abuse as something sexy and desirable.
The protagonist has no character strength whatsoever, Christian Grey is an abusive stalker only interested in his own pleasure with absolutely no regard to his partners feelings or sexual satisfaction. He forces himself on her in her dorm room after she wants space. There is nothing romantic about this series. EL James' portrayal of BDSM is an insult for anyone actually into this kink.
Jamie Dornan, who plays Christian, said himself that for that movie he had to do things he would never, ever, do to a woman. In those interviews it seems like the whole acting experience for this movie was a rather uncomfortable one.

For more on the abuse in 50 SoG, there is a great tumblr post right here:
https://theramblingcurl.blogspot.de/2014/02/fifty-abusive-moments-in-fifty-shades.html

There is really wonderful fanfic out there, some worth publishing. And then there was "Master of the Universe". There is a Once Upon a Time fanfic about to be published which I have read and found a very nice read and which makes a much better example for fic worth publishing.

It took me a long time to get through it tonight, but that post you linked was **epic**!! Clever and funny, it should be taught at secondary schools! Thanks for posting x

I don't really understand this Twilight fanfic angle. So... In the original version of 50 Shades, the characters were two high schoolers, one of whom was a sparkly vampire? With a love dungeon? WTF?

Well, yes and no.... She basically wrote it to begin with for the characters from Twilight, then changed their names when she got the book deal. There are lines directly from Twilight in there with just the names swapped.

Here's a link with a side by side comparison of the original fanfic and 50 Shades:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65785689/50ShadesofWTF.pdf

I don't really understand this Twilight fanfic angle. So... In the original version of 50 Shades, the characters were two high schoolers, one of whom was a sparkly vampire? With a love dungeon? WTF?

It's called an "alternate universe" in the fanfic world. A fanfic author can change the original story to suit their own plot - including taking characters and throwing them into a new setting (high school/college seems to be a popular choice). I believe they were both adults, with Edward still being a CEO and Bella was in college. I admit I haven't read the fanfic itself, but I don't think the vampire angle was used at all, just the characters and love interests/triangle.

Never read the books, certainly have no interest in seeing the film.

I think it's a pile of crap. I read all three books and found myself skipping the sex scenes (i'm no prude they were just boring). I thought it was so poorly written and all I could think about was Edward & Bella, the descriptions were just too similar. I still want to see the film though, even though I know it will probably be crap :lol:

I know more people complaining about it than wanting to see it :lol:
The book isn't nearly annoying as my Facebook feed full of 50 Shades moaners who haven't actually read it :dohh: I mean it's drivel, but I'm seeing it described as "poorly written crap" by people who's only usual reading material is Take A Break magazine.
I'll be watching the film for the same reason I read all the books - I need to see it before I can jump on the judging bandwagon :lol:

If you want a good laugh, read some of the 1 star reviews on amazon. Some of them are hilarious and certainly better written than the book. I don't understand the fuss either, I read a bit of the first, but couldn't get through more than a couple of chapters as it is so poorly written. The publishers ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I've read them all. Read one sex scene, skipped most of the rest because it was just boring!
She loses her virginity to this hugely "well endowed" man and then goes on to have sex 4/5 (I think it was? Been a while since I read it) again after. Let's get real, she would be sore, swollen and dry as sticks. She would be miserable.

The entire thing was a heap of sh*te.

The books are terribly written but they're okay for mindless reading. I also ended up skipping most of the sex scenes because they are SO BORING.

I don't really understand the outrage over the relationship dynamic, if I'm being honest. It's a book of fiction! It's not saying "this is how healthy relationships work" and it's not marketed towards young girls - it's quite obviously written for adults. Unlike Twilight, which if you ask me is much worse because it promotes unhealthy relationships and is targeted towards young girls.

The fact that Christian is revealed to be a sadist is an insult to BDSM, really, and the author clearly didn't bother to do any research. It reads very much as her personal fantasy and should be treated as such. If anyone here reads Literotica, their non-consent section is one of the most popular. It's a very common fantasy and in most cases I don't think it translates to reality. Hopefully adults can recognize the difference between fantasizing about these things and actually wanting to live them.

I agree with everything Staralfur said. They (Twilight and 50 Shades) were terrible and there's so much better fanfiction out there, but the outrage over their content is a little odd to me given the range of fiction people like to read but would never want to actually happen. No one handed out orphan or mental disease awareness pamphlets at the Batman premier, as far as I know. Not that domestic abuse awareness action is a bad thing, just not something to flame the book for, imo.

I did like the books but not the best book i have read. I was so looking forward to the movie months ago. But then i read there would be no nude scene of grey. I think the cast is wrong. Might just wait to download it

I watched half of it last night (couldn't sit through the rest - SO BORING). He was definitely nude in it. I mean there was no shot of the er.. goods... but that's a good thing imo :lol:

Yeah I went to see it last night too, we saw everything but the goods :) but I felt let down, it wasn't as bad as the books, but I did feel bored and the whole thing was too tame

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->