Anyone else not get this "50 shades" fuss??

Ruth 1980

Reaction score
If I hear any more about this 50 shades film I think I'll go cracked!
Is it just me or does anyone else find the whole thing just wrong? After hearing all the fuss about the books way back, I figured it wasn't something I'd ever read because I couldn't imagine relating to the character at all. So I got a free sample on kindle just to check: Maybe the writing would be so exceptional that it would justify the craze?... Nope.
I, for the life of me, cannot imagine being such a sap that I would accept being with a man who can only get his rocks off if he's chaining me, beating me, fisting me etc etc :shrug:
Personally I think there's nothing sexier than a strong, confident, dominant man lying back and surrendering control! (I don't mean tying him up or hurting him!) But him being confident enough to let a woman take the reigns sometimes.
I have a feeling I may be alone in this thinking :shrug: but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion :thumbup:

It all started as an Edward/Bella (Twilight) fanfic, called "Master of the Universe". :haha: She changed the names and sold it as a trilogy. There is some truly great fanfiction out there... this was not one of them. I read the first book, just because I believe you should know something to make fun of it. I almost didn't make it to the end (mainly due to laughing while cringing - must have been my inner goddess coming out). There are people that enjoy it though, and I do like the fact that there have been books released lately that have encouraged people to read when they normally wouldn't bother.

There's nothing wrong with some kinky action, but the author of 50 Shades took what she wanted from that type of relationship and ignored how most real doms/subs interact. There is a huge lack of respect between Ana and Christian. Not to mention the inconsistencies - "you need to eat!" "but don't eat too much, and you have to work out with a personal trainer so many sessions a week!", etc etc. Plus Christian is the CEO of his company... and he's never working, unless you count keeping tabs on Ana and what she is doing. Must be nice! :haha:

That book is so poorly written that it makes me sad.

For humanity.

I've read the three books, they are the biggest load of gash i have ever read but i HAD to read them, and this film, i HAVE to see it. Christian Grey is unbelievably unattractive (his personality, attitudes, i don't mean his looks) and yes the whole playroom thing is the biggest turn off, it's so cheesy.

I read this book because it was lent to me and I wanted to see what all the hype was about and to be honest as I was reading it I was just disgusted. All I could see in that relationship was control and abuse. Maybe I was more offended as I had just left a controlling abusive relationship but I thought it was terrible that people were hyping up that book so much and that young girls could read it and think that that could be a normalized relationship because everyone was loving the book. It is not a good message and it disappoints me

I read this book because it was lent to me and I wanted to see what all the hype was about and to be honest as I was reading it I was just disgusted. All I could see in that relationship was control and abuse. Maybe I was more offended as I had just left a controlling abusive relationship but I thought it was terrible that people were hyping up that book so much and that young girls could read it and think that that could be a normalized relationship because everyone was loving the book. It is not a good message and it disappoints me

And that is the perfect response! :thumbup: I wish more people who have read it could say this! I worry about the future generation of boys who might think "Oh well, girls love the book, that's what they want me to be like/do to them!" When in reality I imagine 95% (at least!) of us wouldn't like it x

I thought it was utter shite. Both characters just annoyed the hell out of me.

Having said that, I quite fancy watching the film to see how they portray it. I know full well it will be crap though, all films with this much hype tend to be crap.

I haven't read the books, because of what I've heard about them:

1) it started out as Twishite, I mean Twilight, fan fiction which is bad enough
2) it's apparently very badly written, as in language skills
3) the synopsis is a girl being coerced into controlling sexual situations which makes me uncomfortable, I'm not against people enjoying that kind of sex and I'm sure lots of people do it with someone they trust, but it's the fact the Grey character seems to be manipulate manipulating and controlling her - and the book paints it as a good thing?

Haven't even bothered to read them, just can't see the attraction.

I read "The Da Vinci Code" just to see what all the fuss was about, and it was a mistake I do not intend to repeat by reading "50 Shades of Gray".

I haven't read the books, because of what I've heard about them:

1) it started out as Twishite, I mean Twilight, fan fiction which is bad enough
2) it's apparently very badly written, as in language skills
3) the synopsis is a girl being coerced into controlling sexual situations which makes me uncomfortable, I'm not against people enjoying that kind of sex and I'm sure lots of people do it with someone they trust, but it's the fact the Grey character seems to be manipulate manipulating and controlling her - and the book paints it as a good thing?

Very well said! :thumbup: Good to see I'm not alone in this thinking x

I read it a while ago as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about - I agree with people who say it's very badly written.
I'm not interested in seeing the movie, not sure why, it just seems like such a weird/stupid storyline so I can't imagine it being that great as a film :shrug:

I read "The Da Vinci Code" just to see what all the fuss was about, and it was a mistake I do not intend to repeat by reading "50 Shades of Gray".

That is an excellent comparison. I really despised that book too.

the whole thing just screams sexual abuse to me. I've read extracts online which really surprised me so I definitely do not understand the appeal.

I remember there was one specific moment in the first book that made me go "woah, no f***ing way, this is abuse" and from there i just flipped the pages to get the jist of the end of the story.

By the time I did finish the first I must have spent 10 mins on the last two to find out what happens. My god there was no consistency either.

I read the first book, then skipped to the end of the 3rd to see what happens because it was one book dragged across 3 and so repetitive. I agree it's very badly written but I'm still intrigued to see the film and I think the actor playing Grey is gorgeous.

I read the first book, then skipped to the end of the 3rd to see what happens because it was one book dragged across 3 and so repetitive. I agree it's very badly written but I'm still intrigued to see the film and I think the actor playing Grey is gorgeous.

he is a really good looking guy - he reminds me of my fiance haha! Xx

I want to see the film but only for the actor playing Christian Grey because I've thought he was gorgeous since I watched him in Once Upon a Time hehe
I did and actually still do read Twilight fanfiction quite a lot :blush: (SAHM with no social life and too much time) so I did actually read it when it was still being put out as MotU.

Seriously cannot believe the hype and fascination surrounding these books. It worked as a fanfic because no one expects fanfics to be amazing (there are some absolutely brilliant ones out there if you sort through the crap) but seeing as the books are essentially word for word with the names changed it doesn't read well to me.

I've tried to read book one just to see what all the fuss was about and ended up quitting halfway through because of both the bad writing (not being able to use the word vagina and instead constantly referring to it as "down there" and let's not forget about the very conscious subconscious and the inflation of the word "post-cotial") and the obvious glorification of abuse as something sexy and desirable.
The protagonist has no character strength whatsoever, Christian Grey is an abusive stalker only interested in his own pleasure with absolutely no regard to his partners feelings or sexual satisfaction. He forces himself on her in her dorm room after she wants space. There is nothing romantic about this series. EL James' portrayal of BDSM is an insult for anyone actually into this kink.
Jamie Dornan, who plays Christian, said himself that for that movie he had to do things he would never, ever, do to a woman. In those interviews it seems like the whole acting experience for this movie was a rather uncomfortable one.

For more on the abuse in 50 SoG, there is a great tumblr post right here:
https://theramblingcurl.blogspot.de/2014/02/fifty-abusive-moments-in-fifty-shades.html

There is really wonderful fanfic out there, some worth publishing. And then there was "Master of the Universe". There is a Once Upon a Time fanfic about to be published which I have read and found a very nice read and which makes a much better example for fic worth publishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->