Anyone else planning on harvesting colostrum?

Jess137

Pregnant w/1st - 3rd Tri!
Reaction score
I am, because my daughter may have to go to NICU after she's born. I'm on medications for my bipolar and there's a small chance that she could have a little trouble breathing at first. Of course I'm hoping that won't happen, but if it does I want to have colostrum ready because I don't want her having formula at all. I've been leaking since 16 weeks, and by now I can squeeze my breasts and actually squirt it because there's so much (sorry TMI!). Today I hand expressed some just to see how much I could get. I got 10 ml in about 5 minutes. Is that good? Does anyone know how much you would need to store?

Before anyone says it, I'm aware that too much nipple stimulation can cause contractions but I'm not doing it enough to hurt anything.

That's a brilliant amount you're producing! I think it would be worth freezing some. But once baby is here you'll be producing even more x

I just want to be safe...I don't know how soon after birth they would need to give it to her, and I'm afraid if it's immediately and I can't nurse her that they'll give her formula or sugar water. In case I wouldn't have time to express it before they needed it.

I would double check with your midwife/doc - not so much about the actual act of expressing, but more to do with how much of the medication will be present in breast milk and effects that it may/may not have - just in case! I do think that it's a good idea though as they can tube feed it if your little one does need some help with breathing.

I'm expressing because of GD, and I also teach breastfeeding as part of my job. We would advise not to express until 37 weeks because of the stimulation issue - I know that you're only expressing for a few minutes, but even when I've only expressed for five mins or so I do get quite an increase in braxton hicks. That's a fab amount that you're getting out! If your MW/doc agrees that you should express then ask them for some small syringes - only 2.5-3ml should be fine - as baby will not need more than a couple of mls at a time in the early days. Label each syringe with your name, hospital number, date and time that it was expressed. Xx

Where do you get the syringes? I looked at the baby store and didn't see any. That's awesome you have so much, I only have a dribble!

I would double check with your midwife/doc - not so much about the actual act of expressing, but more to do with how much of the medication will be present in breast milk and effects that it may/may not have - just in case! I do think that it's a good idea though as they can tube feed it if your little one does need some help with breathing.

I'm expressing because of GD, and I also teach breastfeeding as part of my job. We would advise not to express until 37 weeks because of the stimulation issue - I know that you're only expressing for a few minutes, but even when I've only expressed for five mins or so I do get quite an increase in braxton hicks. That's a fab amount that you're getting out! If your MW/doc agrees that you should express then ask them for some small syringes - only 2.5-3ml should be fine - as baby will not need more than a couple of mls at a time in the early days. Label each syringe with your name, hospital number, date and time that it was expressed. Xx

Thanks, I just did it today out of curiousity tbh to see how much I was producing. I'm not going to start actually expressing and saving for a few more weeks. I've also done my research about how much medication would be in my milk, one of the meds they don't find any and they other it's such a tiny amount that there should be no effects. Anyways my thought was that if I'm breastfeeding and a tiny amount is in my milk, hopefully she won't go through withdrawal from the meds (which of course is a possibility).

Also my dr's are aware I'm planning on breastfeeding.

Where do you get the syringes? I looked at the baby store and didn't see any. That's awesome you have so much, I only have a dribble!

You could get syringes from your Dr or the drugstore (in the pharmacy).

i would say try and get them to delay clamping the cord, as long as baby is attached to you then baby doesn't need to breathe immediately, plus it reduces the chance of new born anaemia by 33% x

Thanks! I've already discussed that with my ob, she actually does it anyway but it was in my birth plan too.

check with your MW i dont think its recomended to do it before 37 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->