• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone else's first born off to school this time?

annio84

Grace's mummy
Reaction score
Just wondered if any other mummies wanted to offer a bit of support to each other? My daughter just turned 4 in July and she's starting school in two weeks. She's totally ready, lots of her friends from nursery will be there but I am categorically not ready! She still looks like my baby. Plus I'm pregnant so have basically no control over my emotions!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

My son (5 in October) is starting school next Tuesday. He is my first born. Like your daughter he is totally ready but I'm not. It's actually stressing me out. I'm going to miss him loads. I do have his brother at home with me (he is nearly 18months) so at least he will keep me busy. I swear I will be rocking in a corner by the time the youngest starts school ��.
I know isaac (my eldest) will love school, he will thrive but it's just going to be odd without him everyday. Elijah is going to miss his brother too. Xxx

Yes, mine starts next week as well. I'm also pregnant, which is contributing to how emotional it all is. It will be such a big change for all of us. She's currently in nursery 9-5, so also a big change in our working hours, which on one hand means more family time, especially once I'm on mat leave and will be home with her during school holidays (that's a nice change). But I think it's only really starting to sink in that she won't be at nursery anymore. She's been there for nearly 4 years (since she was 9 months). She came to me crying yesterday when she thought about her last day there. I feel really sad for her, even though she is excited. It's such a big transition, probably harder on us than them.

I wrote a post last week about it,my son starts next week and I'm not looking forward to it, he is! I remember feeling really worried as my baby was due tomorrow a week before my son starts school and felt bad about the timing. Well my baby decided to arrive 10 weeks early, he spent 7 weeks in hosp and now home, I'm just glad I've been able to spend time with baby and my oldest together before he starts school

Yes me too. I'm nervous because she starts on the 20th only for a couple of hours then full time a week later. I'm the due to have the baby on the 13th of October. Just feels like lots of changes all at once. Not my best family planning but hey ho. She's definitely ready but I think the long break will only have made it more difficult for transition. Such a weird feeling, I'm happy and sad all at once x

My daughter starts Kindergarten next Wednesday. She's super excited for it and I will be glad for the break.

My son starts next Friday. It's very bitter sweet, he turns 5 two days before. It doesn't seem two minutes since he was born!

However, I have to admit its a relief. It's been a difficult year with him with lots of tantrums, aggression and demanding behaviour. He's been ready for months and looks so out of place at nursery. He's been in 5-6 year clothing since march, so he's a big boy who towers over all of the kids there! I'm looking forward to spending one on one time with his 21 month old sister and also quality time with him in the holidays when she is at nursery.

My eldest starts next week, she hasn't really said much about it. She has asked me why she has to go and she knows her friends are going. She turns five the week she starts so one of the eldest. She is ready for the learning part but will struggle with 5 days a week. She is used to a varied week with me, nursery, days out and we always do learning at home (she is already good with letter and numbers but hates books....hoping school helps with that). 4/5 is still far to young for 5 days a week in my opinion.

Grace is very excited. A lot of her friends from preschool are going to the same school so that makes it easier for her. I think I would feel better if I loved the school she's going to but sadly we got our 2nd choice and there are 90 children going into reception!

We went uniform shopping today and the smallest size they make in all the logo stuff is far too big for her. It just makes me think she's too small to go to school.

My daughter started school Aug 10 (they seem to start school early in the southeast US). I was worried because it is all day (8-2:30) 5 days a week, and last year she only went to preschool 3 half days a week. But, she loves it and is doing well. I love it too as it's a nice break! LOL I didn't cry the first or second day, but the third.....she told me she wanted me to drop her off instead of walking her in, and so I compromised and told her I'd walk her into the school and then she could walk to her classroom on her own. We got inside the door, she kissed me and then said bye, and I watched her go down the hall and when she got to her room, she looked back at me and waved and off she went..... I bawled! I think it was because I realized that this was the first of many waves goodbye as she becomes more independent.

Things have settled for me now, and she's always been okay with it all. She loves her school and her teacher and has made a few friends. I"m so relieved. Last year at preschool, many days she would cling on to my leg and cry, so it's nice that she's so happy to go and actually doesn't need me 24/7.

Good luck to all of you who have this coming up. It's a big change, but it's nice to see and hear about all the new things going on in their day.

My eldest starts on Tuesday too! He is more than ready and luckily he seems very relaxed about it. It's a very small village school and he went to pre school with 11 of the 13 children who will be in reception with him so I feel better knowing he has lots of friends already. His brother is going to miss him like mad after they have spent the last 6 weeks joined at the hip!

My oldest starts on Wednesday I'm so sad he's so grown up but so excited for all his new experiences to come. Such a mess of mixed emotions. I don't show him that of course all he hears is how exciting it will be and I can't wait to hear all about it. He's totally chilled about it all, I don't know how he'll be on the day I'm hoping still relaxed. Big step I'm a little heart broken ��

DD1 starts receiption next week . Her first full day is Thursday !! I'm full of emotions ! She's looking forward to it but I can also tell she's nervous but I am making it seem amazing which it will be for her anyway !!

I still have DD2 at home which I will enjoy spending more one on one time with her doing playgroups etc but I am going to miss DD1 sooo much . She's always been at home with me (apart from nursery ) as I am a SAHM . Just sad the days at home with me and DD2 are ending and she will be gone most of the day! It's definetly going to be a mixture of emotions when she starts but like others I'm not showing it ! Will just cry when I walk away from the school gates lol.

She's been very clingly lately and crying when I leave her with grandparents etc which she never did before so I'm a bit worried she will cry when leaving her but hope the excitement of being back with her friends will stop her !!

Good luck to all us mummies ! I am sure our big babies will be fine!! Xx

Rio starts on Thursday. The closer we get the more upset I'm getting. I am not ready at all for him to be in full time school and I'm not sure he is either. I have a 5 week old and he's struggled with the adjustment to his brother, we have some behaviour issues going on at home and I worry 5 x 6 hour days a week at school is going to be far too much for him. Only time will tell and there's not a lot I can do about it but I just feel so sad for him. Obviously I'm trying to make it sound like a really exciting event but he seems nervous too. He got upset going to nursery and that was only 3 days a week so I really hope he will be ok, he's had so many big changes going on all at once and he's only just four. Breaks my heart!!

I am not keen. I am not really sure she is ready and I think five days a week will really upset her. And given my lack of enthusiasm, I am interested to see whether it goes well or whether she is upset by it and I pull her out for a year.
Also we have an incoming baby And a house move which is a lot for her to deal with. Those two things are unavoidable so if it all gets too much, I don't honestly feel that a year of home schooling would be a bad thing.
Basically I am in protective mama bear mode.

My DD started year 1 yesterday and was very upset. She was upset today but not as much.
I hope everyone's little ones starting school have a great time :)

mine starts full day on Thursday, we go in for a small meeting this afternoon. I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. the full days 5 a week seems like a lot to me all of a sudden, the best days we have we are out for half and home for half. full days out bring epic meltdowns. its going to be really tough for awhile after school pick up to bedtime. this will be the first time she's really had to be away from me, we've done groups etc all along where she will go in for a few hours without me and has been fine, but I was always on site. there were also days she didn't want to go, and as long as ppl weren't expecting us, we didn't. I'm just not sure what the conversation will be when\if she doesn't settle in as I myself am not 100% sold on the idea of full day kindergarten at age 4. I'm going to be home anyway as I'm pregnant due in nov. it would be nice to get her off and settled in school before the baby comes. the downside to keeping her home would mainly be who would she play with? all her contemporaries will be in school. she is bored playing with younger children and that's all there will be at her usual haunts.

I'm in NZ and our school system is different, by my eldest is not far off starting too. In NZ kids start on their 5th birthday no matter when it falls throughout the year. So my son starts at the end of October even though our school year is Feb-Dec.

I have to say I can't wait! He's so ready for it and I think he'll love it! He's been at full day kindergarten since before he was 3 and he is clearly bored there now and needs a new challenge.

I think the children in the UK start reception too early . 9 till 3 five days a week is a bit much for four year olds. They should start the next term after they turn 5. Which by UK law they need to be in school or home schooled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->