Anyone else's LO refuses to eat vegetables unless mixed with fruit (TW)?

Kitten-B

Mum of 2 gorgeous boys :)
Reaction score
Only on week 3 of weaning so not worried but I cannot get LO to eat any vegetable purees unless mixed with fruit.

I don't feel his menu is really progressing - he has a fruity porridge/baby cereal for beakfast, usually baby rice mixed with fruit for lunch, and vegetable purees (I always offer on their own first) mixed with fruit for tea. Want to get his vegetable intake up before moving on to protein.

In a couple of weeks I guess I can try reducing the amount of fruit gradually but I have a feeling it's not going to go well.

He just hates the taste of vegetables, any ones, even the sweeter ones. Anyone have a similar start and manage to convince their LO to have vegetable purees alone? And how?

Have you given lo finger foods? Maybe try sweet potato wedges, carrot batons and red peppers?

Thanks!

Have tried with carrot batons and some red pepper (separate occasions) etc. He sucked on both until he chomped a bit off, he then gagged/almost choked for a few seconds before bringing up the small bite of food. I know some gagging can be normal but not sure he's really ready for finger foods (and neither am I - both experiences made my stomach drop to the floor!)

Your signature is gorgeous btw, so cute!

I know it is hard and very scary, but they do learn so so quickly, well in my experience he did anyway. It sounds awful but I can watch him gag now and not bat an eyelid, cos he brings it up and carried on eating haha!!

What about Organix carrot sticks? they are like big wotsits, but Carrot flavour and melt in the mouth, or some rice cakes with a vege flavour on?

If you aren't just ready yet then I think mixing and reducing the fruit could work, but quite a long process.

Now he is over 6mo how about some different recipies that include dairy, meat or fish? Like a cauliflour or brocoli cheese type thing? xx

Now he is over 6mo how about some different recipies that include dairy, meat or fish? Like a cauliflour or brocoli cheese type thing? xx

Was gonna suggest this too, my lo loves brocolli and potato or carrot and potato mixed with dairylea. Gives the veg a different taste which your LO might be more willing to try.

My daughter wouldn't eat anything savory so i was mixing fruit in with her meals. However when i made shepard's pie etc, it didn't taste so good with fruit. I tried giving her a spoon of yogurt and fruit puree, then a spoon of savory, spoon of yogurt and so on. She ate more than she ever has. Sometimes when i spoon the savory in her mouth, you can tell she has no plan to swallow it, then when she sees the yogurt she opens her mouth for it and it goes down with the savory. Now she understands she will also get sweet food, i give her one spoon sweet, 2 spoons savory. She eats brilliantly now so i will carry on reducing the sweet till she has a full savory meal, followed by sweet.

Hope this helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->