Anyone got a good lie for not drinking alcohol at a party?

Cherry Cherry

Reaction score
I have my mum's birthday party tonight, and am struggling to come up with a good lie about not drinking alcohol!!! Not that I have it often anyway, but they don't know we're TTC and I am not telling them as they put me under enough pressure to have children as it is!!! Aargh!!!

Any ideas for a good lie???

Thanks!
xxxooxxo

You're taking antibiotics, and the doctor has told you you can't have an alcohol :)

I know the feeling well! lol I shall be watching this thread with interest. What about that its your turn to drive? Or on antibiotics?
See - rubbish excuses - I hate to lie, but what can you do?!
Rx

I have the same problem! I have just taken red wine and had one or two sips (not sure if others can tell, they don't seem to.) Keep in mind, I don't know if I am preggo yet so I figure most women drink a lot before they know they are preggo! If everyone else is having a good time they won't even notice your glass not getting empty. Also, we want to keep it a big secret because he has a sister who has been suspicious for awhile now so when I have that wine in my hand she really has no clue what to think :)

Just accept and get your OH to drink it when you give it to him to hold when you go to the loo!

You could say you're on antibiotics, but then take a very small glass and sip at it and chuck the rest when no one is looking and have a giggle about how naughty you are drinking on antibiotics.

If you are PG, at this stage the embryo is sustained by the egg yolk before the umbilical cord is formed, so a few sips is fine as it has it's own nutrition source rather than getting it from you. :)

How about...

tell them that you are on the zone diet and for the 1st week you can't drink alcohol or you have a UTI (they won't ask questions then)

my sister stopped drinking for a while because it used to make her face go bright red and puffy and she thought she was allergic. that's not a good one though lol. i would go with on a diet or hungover from yesterday x

carry a glass of wine round with you and tip a bit away every now and then, people wont notice your not drinking then! xx

I was lucky that I sometimes didn't drink if I wasn't feeling like it.

But I decided driving wherever we were going would be my excuse.
I was also lucky that I wasn't in the habit of having 1 drink then driving.

Having said all that, one close friend still guessed when I drove to a birthday party - she said I would have normally left the car there overnight and had a drink ;)

you have a bet going with someone to see how long you can go without? lol

I just told everyone that it makes my cramps worse (true, endometriosis does that -_-*) maybe you could twist that a little?

The is an excellent thread...more ideas please?

I have the same problem. DH's cousin is getting married May 1st (like 3 days before I can test) and there's going to be alcohol not just at the wedding, but the couple days before as well. It's out of town and we're staying with relatives. There are a couple relatives (insensitive male relatives who wouldn't hesitate to blurt out "you're not pregnant are you? in front of everyone) who I usually have a glass of red wine with at family functions. What to do? At a bug party it's easy to just walk around with a drink in hand, but not when your sitting with a small group in someone's living room!

I've thought of the UTI/antibiotics excuse and I might have to go with that one, even though I already used cold medication as an excuse not to drink at another family event.

I too am trying to keep it a secret from my SIL. I have the feeling she's currently TTC and has been for a while and she's older than me and might be upset if I get pregnant before her. Maybe she'll already be pregnant by the trip...that would be a relief.

I agree with Caz -- as long as you're holding a glass, no one really seems to notice. Just bring it to your lips every once in a while and then switch with OH or tip it in the sink when no one's looking!

Dont say anything, make sure your partner gets your drink or yourself. Just say it has alcohol in it. i.e. orange or lemonade say it has vodka, or gin in it! Or have the same as your partner and keep holding it but keep swapping it with your parnter so when their drinking it their drinking yours too. My friend did that. I think its a bit sus when people say antibiotics, sorry.

Good thoughts, but here's the thing. At this event, people really only offer wine and DH doesn't drink at all. He's part Chinese and allergic, so he won't drink even one glass!

Yeah I'm worried antibiotics sounds suspicious too, but what else to do? Honestly I'm hoping no one asks why when I refuse.

I actually stopped drinking for the most part a while ago - figured out it made my sinus all plugged up & stuffy nose and didnt like the feeling.

Thanks for all the ideas peeps - I'll let you know what I end up doing!
xoxoxo

How about saying you're starting to feel sick -- like a sore throat coming on, and just want a cup of tea to soothe it...I've done that one a couple of times too!

I would just say you have a urine infection and are on strong antibiotics....mentioning anything wee related normally gets people to shut up. Or you can carry a drink around with you but not actually drink from it? xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->