Anyone had a colposcopy?

MellyH

Pregnant (Twins!)
Reaction score
I've had three abnormal pap smears in a row so now they are sending me for a colposcopy, which is apparently shoving a microscope up your hoo-ha and biopsying any abnormal cells. They said I should bring someone with me to drive home afterwards and take some over-the-counter painkillers beforehand.

Has anyone had one? How unpleasant was it? Did everything come back okay?

I am trying not to get too worried, because I'm sure it's still just precautionary and everything will be fine, but it's mostly worrying me because we're planning to TTC and (a) I don't want the biopsy/ies to affect my chances of falling pregnant, and (b) I certainly don't want cervical cancer, which would absolutely affect my chances of falling pregnant!

I feel totally fine and fit and healthy. I wonder if people have other symptoms before finding something dire on a biopsy like this? Surely that is a good sign?! Now I'm rambling, sorry.

hiya I had one years ago, I must admit it wasn't very pleasant and was quite sore sorry just trying to be honest. the nurses will be there to help you though while the doctor takes the biopsy. it takes about 15 mins and with me they made 2 holes to get rid of cancerous cells and then that was it. I could drive home fine just felt a bit of uncomfortable but was fine later :hugs:

Thanks MissN8. So, the regions that were cancerous were small enough to be removed entirely during the biopsy? Did they do tests on what they removed and tell you the results? Did you need any other treatment? I'm sorry you had to go through all that. It doesn't sound like fun. :(

hiya, yes they did the biopsy there and then. no I just had to keep going for regular smears for a bit. I have endometrosis as well so haven't had much luck in that area. hope you are okay. :hugs:

Hey I've had a few over the past 7 yrs, I've only had 1 normal pap and i get them every 6 - 9 months.

The colposcopy is just a biopsy of areas that look abnormal, very rarely are they cancerous, I think my doc said only 1% actually develop into cancer... it's a pain more than anything. One of them I felt no pain afterwards, another one I was sore for a day or so.. I think just depends on who's doing it :)

Good luck, and really don't worry at all.

Kim

Thanks guys. Will try not to worry about it!

I had one and it really wasn't that bad! I bled for about a week afterward not to heavy. They told me I could go ahead and TTC I have to have a Pap smear every 6 months he said mine were precancerous and would most likely go away on their own! If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

I work in a lab that handles these biopsies - we get dozens of them every week, and only once in a blue moon are they cancerous. It's usually precancerous cells (called CIN). The biopsy should not interfere with your ability to get pregnant afterwards, just make sure you give yourself enough time to heal properly before TTC - your gynaecologist will give you advice on timescales etc.

My sister-in-law had a LLETZ biopsy done a couple of years ago and she was uncomfortable for a few days but was soon back to her normal self. She says they put a ban on :sex: and vigorous physical activity for a couple of weeks until it'd healed over, but she felt fine in herself. She's had no further problems (though she hasn't been TTC at all).

Good luck, I hope it all goes quickly and smoothly :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->