Anyone here have experience with biracial children?

I don't know about everyone else but it seems like people maybe in a delusional world. racism is still very much present. my baby will be biracial im black dads white and we already get comments. I have biracial family members as well and while you guys are right the kids don't care the parents are usually the culprits. I also have kids from a previous marriage and it scares me to think that my fully black children maybe walking home with their siblings and be accused of something. with that said the country(us) has come a long way but has so far to go. we live in the surburb/urban mixed area as well so everyone knows better than to comment, but the whispers are still present.

Not delusional, just different experiences. All races of people can, and have, experienced racism, just as some haven't, or have but in a way that hasn't affected them at all.

My baby is going to be mixed. I am european living in australia and my babys father is a mix himself but mainly trinidian. He lives in fl USA... there arent many black/white mixed babies where I live and I wont lie i am slightly anxious to see peoples reaction. I think the main one for me will be that children will tease my child and say that he/she is adopted because our skin color wont match.

I know when I was in FL earlier this year the baby father and I would get stares from people and although it was easy to ignore and rise above it I dont know if I will be able to ignore peoples ignorance with my child.

I don't know about everyone else but it seems like people maybe in a delusional world. racism is still very much present. my baby will be biracial im black dads white and we already get comments. I have biracial family members as well and while you guys are right the kids don't care the parents are usually the culprits. I also have kids from a previous marriage and it scares me to think that my fully black children maybe walking home with their siblings and be accused of something. with that said the country(us) has come a long way but has so far to go. we live in the surburb/urban mixed area as well so everyone knows better than to comment, but the whispers are still present.

Florida unfortunately is very much still the ol south, so I can imagine how you would feel that way. No one is delusional though just because they have not encountered your experience.

When I go home to Jamaica, my husband and I get stares sometimes, but its not racist glares, its classism stares because in the west indies the lighter you are the richer you "usually" so they probably are wondering if I am paying my husband lol...my children however are adored...worst for their complexion & looks, but you see, most ignorance are based on some long standing twisted ancient slavery ideology. You cannot worry about what other ppl do or think or say. My family is predominantly black, I was raised by a black grandmother, and I look so white (can u imagine if I let that bother me how stressed I would have been my whole life?)

I never worried about racism until I migrated to Canada. I only knew there were poor & rich. To me, my husband and I are the same. Our skin color is irrelevant, and I never even had to teach my children that because they already know THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT. If you make your children FEEL like they are different then they will have a complex. My kids are just the same as white kids, indian, Asian etc...there are so many beautiful shades to the human skin, but that's all it is is skin. Teach your children to be proud of how kind, honest and ambitious they are. Trust me they will block out the stupid ppl who are still clinging to a lame outdated view.

my kids feel no different. I am simply stating that it is silly to think that it doesn't exist and as previously stated it is more prevalent in the us. I have friends who lived all over the world the problem is primarily here. Our children have friends of all shades and so do I. I have had a rainbow of friends my whole life so its always been the norm. I never noticed until I met dh that it was something still frowned upon. when we are together in ublic people look at us as if we have 6 heads! it has certainly taught me(the one with the rainbow friends, gay, straight, and everything else) about tolerance. I never knew it would be an issue. but we vacation in Tennessee multiple times a year and its normal embraced there. its funny because Florida has all kinds of interracial couples. and I know floridas root are deep so the stigmas are still breaking

I have a biracial little girl Black/Latina and I'm black. Racism is alive and well and don't ever let your guard down. I tell her she's beautiful all the time, but she's beautiful because her parents are gorgeous lol, not because she's mixed. I've learned thats the biggest misconception about biracial childrens and in turn makes them feel like they're better than everyone just for that one specific reason which also makes them a target. Beauty comes in all shapes and forms, and every child is beautiful in their own way. One last thing, because I'm the mom, I always try to showcase both cultures, im learning spanish, I teach her how to make daddies favorite foods, as well as my own culture hand in hand. If I buy Essence magazine, I also buy the Latino counterpart. From Dora the explorer to Doc Mcstuffins. Most importantly, I teach her about her hair, that its beautiful and can do anything, too many times do I see mixed race children being condemned for their hair by their mothers who appear clueless and frustrated that it doesn't do what their hair does so easily. Do your research, ask for help....watch YouTube lol and embrace both cultures.

I always try to showcase both cultures, im learning spanish, I teach her how to make daddies favorite foods, as well as my own culture hand in hand. If I buy Essence magazine, I also buy the Latino counterpart. From Dora the explorer to Doc Mcstuffins. Most importantly, I teach her about her hair, that its beautiful and can do anything, too many times do I see mixed race children being condemned for their hair by their mothers who appear clueless and frustrated that it doesn't do what their hair does so easily. Do your research, ask for help....watch YouTube lol and embrace both cultures.

I really respect this. My Mum is black, my Dad is white. They both taught me to embrace both sides of my cultures, and that being biracial is your own identity in your own right. I am thankful for that. People like to shoehorn me into the 'black' box, but my Mum always taught me that I have a right to own identity, and my own experiences. She used to buy me books about being biracial, and do exercises with me.

My own child will be half me, and half Bengali, so I also need to make that effort to teach them about Bengali culture, especially as Daddy isn't around to do so.

I'm going to be having a biracial baby. I was out walking with a "friend" and they took every opportunity to take digs at the fact my child is going to be half black. For example, I mentioned I was moving soon from an urban neighborhood to a suburb and I was upset there wasn't going to be that much diversity. My friend said, "Just your baby". Stuff like that.

This is a really good friend of mine. That got me to thinking about what life is going to be like for my baby and it made me sad and mad :growlmad:

Maybe it's me, but the example you gave doesn't seem too bad. You were complaining to your friend about the lack of diversity, since your child will in fact be half black your friend is accurate that yes, your child will be there and because your child is half-black he/she will be helping to diversify the neighborhood. Perhaps, it's the tone of voice that your friend used that is not getting across in this post, or maybe you are sensitive about the topic (which is fine and understandable), but if you have a biracial child its important to start thinking about how you will talk about issues such as culture, race and ethnicity. Actually, let me backstep, we should all be thinking about such things, but raising a biracial child probably makes you have to think about it earlier one. I wish you a safe and happy pregnancy and try not to let other people stress you. Use it as an educational moment.:hugs:

Just curious, when you say you are Spanish are you talking about Spainard (as in you live in Spain) or Hispanic/Latino Spanish (that is often used in the States).

Hey there I'm sorry you feel like this it's very sad in this modern world that people are still so ignorant but you should forget what other people think and feel sorry for them that they are so badly educated to think that way and when your child is raised by you they will be far better educated and know to think the same as you and also laugh in the face of stupid ignorant fools I am pregnant with baby #1 with my Afro Caribbean partner we have been together for 12 years and luckily in England there is a very small amount of racist people and funily enough it's usually old people lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think it's more difficult for the interracial adults in relationships and well - most people love cute little babies and children and don't "hold it against them" (their parents choices).. I can't imagine what it must be like for many with an obvious interracial relationship happening - black/white vs black/trini. I'd teach my child to be aware of this possibility and to fight fight fight for what he/she wants as there are always plenty of ppl wanting to take it away from you based on race. :)

I have a biracial little girl Black/Latina and I'm black. Racism is alive and well and don't ever let your guard down. I tell her she's beautiful all the time, but she's beautiful because her parents are gorgeous lol, not because she's mixed. I've learned thats the biggest misconception about biracial childrens and in turn makes them feel like they're better than everyone just for that one specific reason which also makes them a target. Beauty comes in all shapes and forms, and every child is beautiful in their own way. One last thing, because I'm the mom, I always try to showcase both cultures, im learning spanish, I teach her how to make daddies favorite foods, as well as my own culture hand in hand. If I buy Essence magazine, I also buy the Latino counterpart. From Dora the explorer to Doc Mcstuffins. Most importantly, I teach her about her hair, that its beautiful and can do anything, too many times do I see mixed race children being condemned for their hair by their mothers who appear clueless and frustrated that it doesn't do what their hair does so easily. Do your research, ask for help....watch YouTube lol and embrace both cultures.

You know, when I first found out I was pregnant this was the first thing that popped into my mind. :blush: How was I going to help them with their hair!Thank goodness for Youtube. I've already watched many videos and I think I have that part under control. :happydance: It was only when I started to tell my friends that I was pregnant and who the father was, that I realized not everyone would be so accepting.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm Spanish/Mexican mix myself. It's been a struggle to keep my own culture alive in my life. Now I will have to try to pass on my own culture and a culture that I'm not that familiar with. I don't think the BD will be around much to help with that. I hope I can convince him to be.

I'm going to be having a biracial baby. I was out walking with a "friend" and they took every opportunity to take digs at the fact my child is going to be half black. For example, I mentioned I was moving soon from an urban neighborhood to a suburb and I was upset there wasn't going to be that much diversity. My friend said, "Just your baby". Stuff like that.

This is a really good friend of mine. That got me to thinking about what life is going to be like for my baby and it made me sad and mad :growlmad:

Maybe it's me, but the example you gave doesn't seem too bad. You were complaining to your friend about the lack of diversity, since your child will in fact be half black your friend is accurate that yes, your child will be there and because your child is half-black he/she will be helping to diversify the neighborhood. Perhaps, it's the tone of voice that your friend used that is not getting across in this post, or maybe you are sensitive about the topic (which is fine and understandable), but if you have a biracial child its important to start thinking about how you will talk about issues such as culture, race and ethnicity. Actually, let me backstep, we should all be thinking about such things, but raising a biracial child probably makes you have to think about it earlier one. I wish you a safe and happy pregnancy and try not to let other people stress you. Use it as an educational moment.:hugs:

Just curious, when you say you are Spanish are you talking about Spainard (as in you live in Spain) or Hispanic/Latino Spanish (that is often used in the States).

I was born and live in the US I'm a mix of Spanish (From Spain) and Mexican.

I am white and my fiance is black. Before we were TTC we had talked about this subject. It got brought up becuase I have felt the effects of racism because I am white and he is black and some people still think it is wrong for two people of different races to be together. I love him more than anything and it is not because of his skin color. We promised eachother that when we have children we will teach them to embrace who they are and where they come from. I was lucky to have been raised by an amazing mother who always taught me to treat everyone equal no matter what. So my fiance and I are just going to take it as it comes. We will not say our child is "black" because he/she has darker skin, or "white" because he/she has lighter skin. Our baby will be biracial and we will teach him/her to be proud of who he/she is!!

I am white and my fiance is black. Before we were TTC we had talked about this subject. It got brought up becuase I have felt the effects of racism because I am white and he is black and some people still think it is wrong for two people of different races to be together. I love him more than anything and it is not because of his skin color. We promised eachother that when we have children we will teach them to embrace who they are and where they come from. I was lucky to have been raised by an amazing mother who always taught me to treat everyone equal no matter what. So my fiance and I are just going to take it as it comes. We will not say our child is "black" because he/she has darker skin, or "white" because he/she has lighter skin. Our baby will be biracial and we will teach him/her to be proud of who he/she is!!

Exactly, I totally agree that's kind of what I tried to say but it didn't come out as well as you lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->