Anyone in my boat? how much will i get?

Emma1980

Mummy to Finley
Reaction score
I got made redundant back in October and have been working cash in hand since (stupid i know!) this means that i wont be able to get SMP or MA... right?

So I can get income support from 29 weeks (how much is this?) and then when the babies born i'll get child tax credits (approx amount?) and child benefit (£20 a week right?) any the i heard something about IB- now ESA for 8 weeks around the birth, is that on top of the income support?!

I'll be a single parent in rented accomodation, i understand that HB and CTB will pretty much cover this tho i may need to pay a little bit...

I'm just wondering approx how much i will get from 29 weeks and then from when the babies born?

I know you're not all psychic but wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me and can tell me approx what they get?

thanks in advance!

I don't think you will qualify for them unless youve been paying tax.. which you haven't. Go to www.entitledto.co.uk its too hard to give you an estimate because every persons situation is so diff X

You wont get incapacity benefit & income support it will be one or the other, Depending on age is income support is around £65 ish a wk, cb is £20 a wk & child tax for the 1st child is £63 a wk ish.

I dunno the rules about claiming if no tax has been paid as they will ask you why you weren't signed on ..you can say you were paid cash in hand there is no problem with that but they will need to confirm with employer to find out whether he paid your tax & insurance then gave you the rest if you get me, you could still of gone through the books ,did you get a p60?

Thanks, that helps a lot...

I dont think my employer paid ni or tax for me, his problem i guess!

Actually I'm not too sure if it is his problem. My friend used to work for cash in hand and I think there was some small print in her contract about her being employed on a freelance basis or something, so was actually obliged to do her own tax returns. She didn't, so if caught I think she would have got into a load of trouble and made to backdate tax payments.

Did you get pay slips? I once got paid cash in part time job when I was a student but there was always a pay slip with the cash, showing tax, NI etc.

Unfortunately, cash in hand means it's your responsibility to pay NI and tax. If the HMCR (tax man!) finds out you could be landed with big fines and be asked to back pay tax and NI and with interest on top. It's shakey ground..... they can chase you for years to come!!
I'd go to the CAB or job centre and find out what you are entitled to but think about going legit with the job. It's not worth the hassle in the long run.
good luck hun
Rachael
xxx

Thanks, that helps a lot...

I dont think my employer paid ni or tax for me, his problem i guess!

Hi hun, No its not his problem its actually your problem really.

Yes his problem in the fact he employed you incorrectly but ultimately it will be your problem as you haven't been paying tax/ins so the job centre will want to know what you have been doing.
By all means tell them you worked there they will need to confirm this with him where it gets a problem, he can either deny it & then you are stuck as you have to provide proof of what you were doing & why you were not claiming benefits, or he can agree & then the tax & ni will come into it.

If he wasn't paying your tax/nat ins then you were responsible to pay your own.

Yeah, I echo what everyone else said. Be careful because it's illegal not to pay tax or NI on earnings :shrug: Isn't really fair to everyone else with ligitimate jobs who has to pay so I can see why it's such a huge deal!
What are you gonna do?

I agree with everyone else. Just wanted to repeat what someone else said, you won't get income support and ESA. Can only have one or the other. And like everyone else said you might have difficulty proving what you've been doing. xx

I'll check with him later, thanks peoples! I dont mind paying what i need to!

If u tell the job centre that u didnt NO he wasnt payin tax/ins and dont have pay slips theyl only have u pay bk a small amount. if u have slips ull have to pay it all. i no this as the same thing happened to my sister, and she had 2 pay bk 40 pound all in all and she had cash in hand 4 a good 8 months. and she didnt pay it back out of her money either they just deducted her IS by like 5 pounds odd a week.

u kud also do the naughty thing and lie hehe if your employer has no record of you, and say u was living off a spouse or something. naughty and breaking the law i no hehe, doubt it would work though they have all those people who check now.

what was you doing about medical? did you just have to pay for it or was it free?

ul get around 140-150 a week on CB, CTC, IS. depending if u qualify for them at the highest rate. but it seems you do.

I have nobody i could of lived off really, cant say it was savings as that would stop other benefits... ahh well i think i'd rather be honest, not like they can take it all off me in one go is it!

not had any prescriptions really, i'm rarely ill, so its just been general hospital and midwife visits and ive never been asked much!

I have payslips, they always list zero amounts for tax and NI :S

Was it full time work hun? How long had you been working there? Just wondering whether you weren't earning enough to pay it or whether you hadn't been there long enough for your tax code to be sorted & employer paying it, not 100% on this stuff so someone may correct me.

If you have payslips then don't worry about it, Its if you haven't anything at all .

Take what slips you have hun & they will help you from there. x

Nah i only did one maybe two shifts a week, thinking about it i probably wasnt earning enough to pay it...

gonna get it sorted asap, thanks for your help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->